Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline for Malta?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA lowly blue, BA Amex & Amex Plat
Which airline for Malta?

I have travelled to Malta a few times in the past 3 years as family have moved out there. I obvoiusly prefer to use BA but having checked their timetable for October (the only time I can manage to get there) the LGW-MLA departs at 21:55 and the return is even worse at leaving at 05:25.
I have flown Air Malta in the past but was not that impressed and I know Luton would be a good choice of airport given my location but the only choice of airline operating that I can find is Ryanair, again not a great choice.

Can anyone recommend an airline that fly to Malta preferably out of LHR?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by JamieTaylor
I have travelled to Malta a few times in the past 3 years as family have moved out there. I obvoiusly prefer to use BA but having checked their timetable for October (the only time I can manage to get there) the LGW-MLA departs at 21:55 and the return is even worse at leaving at 05:25.
I have flown Air Malta in the past but was not that impressed and I know Luton would be a good choice of airport given my location but the only choice of airline operating that I can find is Ryanair, again not a great choice.

Many thanks in advance.
Air Malta seems to be your only choice if you want to fly from LHR I am afraid. So it looks like you may have to give them a second chance or risk Ryanscare.

The BA times don't seem that bad to me but then again I like night flights and getting up early
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MLA goes back to civilised flight times from Monday 27 Oct departing LGW 1225, and departing MLA 1715.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by JamieTaylor

Many thanks in advance.
J classs on KM was pretty good, with larger seats than in BA J (which was operated by GB Airways at the time). Y in KM was nothing specially, certainly.

I have not travelled to Malta since the changes, but my loyalty to BA is severely tested by the current flight times, especially as I go there for work rather than leisure. If you live near LHR, then this really does look like the best option.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 1:13 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
One thing to note about Air Malta is that in Y, your first bottle of wine is free (as is your meal, which is decent), but you have to pay for subsequent drinks.

James
Old Jun 26, 2008, 2:54 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
A grade above Ryanair - easyJet from Gatwick with ex-GB Airways aircraft. Cheapest option I could find as well.

Dep LGW: 06:30
Dep MLA: 11:45

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 12:38 am

Programs: If I donīt have it, I donīt need it!
You might consider LH from LHR via MUC on the way to MLA and MLA via MUC/DUS/FRA on the way back. The Germany/MLA/Germany leg is on KM anyway. The LH flight to MUC starts quite early - 7.50 am. The KM flight leaves from the LH terminal in MUC, so itīs an easy transfer... Might be a bit more expensive - 40 quid or so than the KM direct flight from LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.