FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Wet feet and the lovely 767s - how much water on the cabin floor is safe? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/835777-wet-feet-lovely-767s-how-much-water-cabin-floor-safe.html)

Smirnoff Jun 18, 2008 8:03 am

Wet feet and the lovely 767s - how much water on the cabin floor is safe?

Once again got the leaky 767 today - G-BZHB.

Actually some good news. Someone has glued 1D's left armrest back on. However, the right armrest with the drinks holder is bent out of position and unusable, the tray table bends down at an angle and is unusable, unless you want your meal to end up on the floor. The call bells seemed to behave themselves for much of the flight, and even some of the IFE monitors were even functioning.

But the leak from the forward galley! Again! I've already written in about this 4 times, but they still don't fix it.

It was enough to soak my shoes as well as my feet, and 3 layers of newspapers. That's 3 newspapers - the Mail, Guardian and Telegraph - not 3 sheets) - which were soaked through in minutes of putting them down. The lady's bags behind me got the wet 767 treatment too, so it was flowing back down the cabin.

I assume there comes a point where you shouldn't have too much water sloshing about the plane, with the wiring and stuff. Any idea what kind of leak is acceptable, or how wet the cabin should be for it to be considered "must fix now" rather than "let's not bother"?

BAHumbug Jun 18, 2008 8:08 am

Well if the water is coming in through the doors and windows then you've got a big problem.

Not confined to BA though, I once flew back from SFO with VS and spent the flight by the galley bulkhead with an ever-increasing mound of towels around my feet. It became somewhat surreal I have to confess !

BAH

James S Jun 18, 2008 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff (Post 9898737)

But the leak from the forward galley! Again! I've already written in about this 4 times, but they still don't fix it.

I assume there comes a point where you shouldn't have too much water sloshing about the plane, with the wiring and stuff. Any idea what kind of leak is acceptable, or how wet the cabin should be for it to be considered "must fix now" rather than "let's not bother"?

Not sure about the 767s, but Qantas discovered that galley leaks and 747s don't mix well:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/cr...190812849.html

James

Kiwi Flyer Jun 18, 2008 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by James S (Post 9899040)
Not sure about the 767s, but Qantas discovered that galley leaks and 747s don't mix well:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/travel/cr...190812849.html

James

That was my first thought on seeing the thread title :eek:

BA1A Jun 18, 2008 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Smirnoff (Post 9898737)

Actually some good news. Someone has glued 1D's left armrest back on. However, the right armrest with the drinks holder is bent out of position and unusable, the tray table bends down at an angle and is unusable, unless you want your meal to end up on the floor. The call bells seemed to behave themselves for much of the flight, and even some of the IFE monitors were even functioning.

It was enough to soak my shoes as well as my feet, and 3 layers of newspapers. That's 3 newspapers - the Mail, Guardian and Telegraph - not 3 sheets) - which were soaked through in minutes of putting them down. The lady's bags behind me got the wet 767 treatment too, so it was flowing back down the cabin.

What do the GGL have to say about this, presume you have told them? This for me is a prime example of where they should ensure your written complaints are being addressed and the problem sorted out once and for all and not just keep dishing out miles to say sorry.

In the meantime maybe carry some Hunters in your hand luggage :D

HIDDY Jun 18, 2008 1:54 pm

Well if they follow H&S guidlines they should really display one of these.

BA1A Jun 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 9900841)
Well if they follow H&S guidlines they should really display one of these.

Excellent :D

Smirnoff Jun 18, 2008 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by BA1A (Post 9900736)
What do the GGL have to say about this, presume you have told them?

I have reported to them 3 times over the last 6 months. Same thing has been happening with this plane since late last year,

They pass it to CR, who apologise, and give some miles.

But no-one fixes the plane.

DFB_london Jun 18, 2008 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Smirnoff (Post 9900895)
I have reported to them 3 times over the last 6 months. Same thing has been happening with this plane since late last year,

They pass it to CR, who apologise, and give some miles.

But no-one fixes the plane.

No one at BA cares.

Same a/c 'HB' on LHR-ARN last Friday - or rather not: it went tech with major hydraulics problems, and they had to find another 763.

We switched to another flight (with some hassle and zero help from T5 passenger 'services' - another 'dog' of an operation) but the original flight got in over 5 hours late.

Brilliant. One would n't mind the ghastly new depths the 'worst of british' club catering has found if the money was spent on maintenance basics, but one starts to wonder...

Let's hope that rumours of BA pulling all the short haul 763s are true.

BA need to sort out this fleet soon - the long haul 763 fleet are in pretty poor shape too - and just the noisiest, dirtiest, most worn out things I've flown in (and it has to be BA - the AA, AC, and CO 767s I've flown in are well cared for). Alas going to LUN there's no other choice.

Genius1 Jun 18, 2008 2:29 pm

This is a serious breach of health and safety regulations, and now doubt specific aviation related laws as well.

A 3 year old knows that water and electricity don't mix - so BA should pull the aircraft out of service straight away and fix the problem.

I always wondered what the real purpose of the lifejackets was for. ;)

aristoph Jun 18, 2008 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by BA1A (Post 9900736)
What do the GGL have to say about this, presume you have told them? This for me is a prime example of where they should ensure your written complaints are being addressed and the problem sorted out once and for all and not just keep dishing out miles to say sorry.

:confused: I don't understand why you imagine that BA will take a complaint about shoddy aircraft maintenance/condition more seriously from a GGL member than any other passenger? I imagine that numerous crew/passengers/technical staff have noticed and/or commented on this same problem. If BA doesn't think it necessary or see fit to resolve it as part of their normal maintenance procedures then you can hardly be surprised if they don't suddenly rush to sort it out as soon as a GGL passes comment. GGL is intended to ensure that high value passengers receive the best possible treatment within the general framework of the airline's policies and procedures, not to respond directly to those passengers' comments or complaints about operational matters and adjust policy in the light of their feedback.

spotwelder Jun 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Max Boyce

Well, if they have been to Cardiff for maintenance then perhaps you would understand the leeks on-board.

The Airbus Dusty Bins 321s are having a similar problem with galley leaks on landing too.

The water issue falls into two categories, the CAA for the hazard to the aircraft and the HSE for the hazard to the passengers or crew. I am not aware of any investigation by either, but it is not my area. However, my ear is close to the ground, and from one "event" that I am aware of, it would not surprise me if HSE did take a look at this.

I saw a table collapse on a BA 767 last week but at least the drink was cold and no balded scollocks resulted. The passenger seemed to be transported close to Heathrow in an instant, at least he was muttering something about never getting out of Staines.

I cannot say any more, sorry.

voracious violinist Jun 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Personally, I find it amazing that nothing has been done about what is obviously a long-term problem. If some of my musicians discovered a pool of water on a concert hall platform, you can be 100% sure no concert or rehearsal would take place until the source of the problem was located and fixed. Maybe BA staff need to take a similiar line and refuse to work on that particular plane due to the H&S issues?

What if there was an emergency evacuation and people rushing to the slides slipped on the wet floor, fell, blocked the aisles and as a result lives were lost? Would it not be the responsibility of the pilot to refuse to fly if there was a Health and Safety issue with any aspect of the plane?

BA1A Jun 18, 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 9901638)
:confused: I don't understand why you imagine that BA will take a complaint about shoddy aircraft maintenance/condition more seriously from a GGL member than any other passenger?

I totally agree, the complaint should be addressed no matter who complains.

Originally Posted by aristoph (Post 9901638)
I imagine that numerous crew/passengers/technical staff have noticed and/or commented on this same problem. If BA doesn't think it necessary or see fit to resolve it as part of their normal maintenance procedures then you can hardly be surprised if they don't suddenly rush to sort it out as soon as a GGL passes comment. GGL is intended to ensure that high value passengers receive the best possible treatment within the general framework of the airline's policies and procedures, not to respond directly to those passengers' comments or complaints about operational matters and adjust policy in the light of their feedback.

I just thought it more likely that someone in the GGL would take ownership of a complaint from a high value customer until the matter was resolved to their satisfaction. I know if I have something escalated to me, I don't let the matter go until the original person is completely happy their complaint has been dealt with satisfactorily. Therefore, I was expecting the aforementioned GGL person to keep checking with Smirnoff and if he said "no it's still as bad as ever" then they would keep chasing and escalating with the relevant department (all the way up to the head of maintenance/engineering (?) or whatever they are called) until it was resolved.

aristoph Jun 19, 2008 12:34 am

Originally Posted by BA1A (Post 9903072)
I just thought it more likely that someone in the GGL would take ownership of a complaint from a high value customer until the matter was resolved to their satisfaction. I know if I have something escalated to me, I don't let the matter go until the original person is completely happy their complaint has been dealt with satisfactorily. Therefore, I was expecting the aforementioned GGL person to keep checking with Smirnoff and if he said "no it's still as bad as ever" then they would keep chasing and escalating with the relevant department (all the way up to the head of maintenance/engineering (?) or whatever they are called) until it was resolved.

That would only follow if we assume that BA has a policy whereby it rectifies such faults out of the normal maintenance cycle when they are pointed out to the company at an appropriate level. Clearly they don't :td: but no surprises there I guess. :rolleyes: