"highly likely" fleet plans

Old Jun 20, 08, 2:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Premier, EK IO, Amex Centurion, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by uk1 View Post
....... and mine. Being a sad g*it I even have a google alert set for +"British airways" +sydney. Hence I also get stuff about Gordon Ramsey ......

Perhaps if anyone knows anyone that knows, they can find out and post please?
I heard something similar a long time ago....given rising fuel costs, etc then QF would service Oz to SIN and BKK and BA would service UK to SIN and BKK. This would mean swapping aricraft of course and a difference in service standards and hard product. With some of the fleet being stood down for the winter schedule, it could be true. I'll see what I can get out of Special Services next week.
Old Jun 20, 08, 3:20 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by BAPremier View Post
I heard something similar a long time ago....given rising fuel costs, etc then QF would service Oz to SIN and BKK and BA would service UK to SIN and BKK. This would mean swapping aricraft of course and a difference in service standards and hard product. With some of the fleet being stood down for the winter schedule, it could be true. I'll see what I can get out of Special Services next week.
Thanks very much. To be frank, this would probably be good news as I've planned 3 nights each way - out and back - at SIN, so the QF legs would be a change of scenery! And if they announced it in August then this would give me loads of time to have BA rearrange the changes for my F redemptions next Feb. I guess they would withdraw the 744's on the LHR > SIN leg and replace them with 777's?
Old Jun 20, 08, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BAPremier View Post
This would mean swapping aircraft of course and a difference in service standards and hard product.
Swapping aircraft in itself isn't really a problem, given everyone has to leave the plane and re-board inbetween legs.

At present, particually in F the general concensus seems to be that QF actually offer a better product. The only let down is wedgy seats in J.
Old Jun 20, 08, 3:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
But does this means QF will be dropping their LHR flights as well? If not, I think it will be unbalanced, with QF going all the way to LHR, and BA not.
On the other hand, QF just announced start of sale for their A380 LHR-SIN-SYD route, for Jan 2009.
Old Jun 20, 08, 3:46 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lovecraft View Post
But does this means QF will be dropping their LHR flights as well? If not, I think it will be unbalanced, with QF going all the way to LHR, and BA not.
On the other hand, QF just announced start of sale for their A380 LHR-SIN-SYD route, for Jan 2009.

That - of course - means that QF F will fill as people choose A380 against the "currently available" BA alternative. I hope that BA makes their mind up and even more importantly announces their plans soon so us punters can nab our beds before they're all gone.

I've assumed that QF will be the same F A380 layout as Singapore Airlines.
Old Jun 20, 08, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by chris18london View Post
I heard from a BA source last night that SYD was being dropped from August.

I searched for the old thread about the possibility of it being dropped, but no luck. If it turns out to be true, it'll be rather controversial in any case.

Rumours abound it seems!

I just asked my friend in the know at BA and am told the SYD thing is rubbish. There are no plans to drop this route. Let's see whose source is more reliable

Also, for BA Premier's benefit my source tells me the launch party for the new F will be early next year.
Old Jun 20, 08, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by BA1A View Post
Rumours abound it seems!

I just asked my friend in the know at BA and am told the SYD thing is rubbish. There are no plans to drop this route. Let's see whose source is more reliable

Also, for BA Premier's benefit my source tells me the launch party for the new F will be early next year.
Was just about to post saying that because of the JSA with QF, the axing of the SYD route is a non-starter because:

1. Part of the agreement requires BA to serve Australia on it's own metal
2. The revenue from the JSA on the Kangaroo route is significant (see link below)

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/071029/4/3a0mo.html

Then I did a quick search and found this article accredited to a 'BA source'. Usually I stay away from this kind of anonymous reporting but this passage does raise a number of valid points.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/dis...dney-747-Route

Ultimatley the decision to withdraw from SYD will be heavily influenced by the Ts & C's in the JSA....personally I cant see BA signing away it's 3rd largest market over the cost of two daily rotations.
Old Jun 20, 08, 6:00 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by JPS76 View Post
Then I did a quick search and found this article accredited to a 'BA source'. Usually I stay away from this kind of anonymous reporting but this passage does raise a number of valid points.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/dis...dney-747-Route

Ultimatley the decision to withdraw from SYD will be heavily influenced by the Ts & C's in the JSA....personally I cant see BA signing away it's 3rd largest market over the cost of two daily rotations.
Interesting.

The BA/Qantas Joint Services Agreement (JSA) runs until 2010. Penalty clauses may preclude any changes until then.
In this situation of course arguable both sides would waive any penalty as it would be in both sides best interests. So I would have thought such a move would be very far from precluded.
Old Jun 20, 08, 7:30 am

Interesting.

In this situation of course arguable both sides would waive any penalty as it would be in both sides best interests. So I would have thought such a move would be very far from precluded.
Of course there are those that know better than me, but I cant see who this can be in BA's longer term interests:

- It is the 3rd biggest market behind India and USA (Source in previous post)

- Uncertainty over oil prices; some have tipped them to reduce slightly and settle as well has those who predict they will rise and rise.

- The Kangaroo route still has massive potential in terms of revenue in future as it is integral to most OW Explorer purchases...

"It offers great flexibility and value, generating the largest portion of the US$725 million revenues earned by oneworld for its member airlines through its alliance fares and sales activities in 2007. It was used by around 50,000 people last year." http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news/details?objectID=14126

Of course BA may decide to ditch the JSA and it's own flights in favour of a solely codeshare agreement with QF.....the cost of of running two flights daily may be more than the difference between revenue (and subsequent profit) than the difference between the JSA and codeshare efforts, thus resulting in a net gain?

Of course the key is the oil price issue, perhaps they may re-enter when the A380 becomes available (more efficient) and the oil price settles . However, by totally pulling out of the market, wont they make it more difficult to capture back market share after QF have had a OW monopoly for howvere long BA pull out? Where would be the incentive for QF to enter into another JSA? BA should be careful not to burn their bridges perhaps?

Just thinking out loud here in my capacity as armchair airline CEO!!
Old Jun 20, 08, 7:52 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Lookjs like QF are going to be withdrawing from all routes. Their engineers are going on strike!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7462811.stm
Old Jun 20, 08, 7:57 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by JPS76 View Post
Of course there are those that know better than me, but I cant see who this can be in BA's longer term interests:

- It is the 3rd biggest market behind India and USA (Source in previous post)

- The Kangaroo route still has massive potential in terms of revenue in future as it is integral to most OW Explorer purchases...

Just thinking out loud here in my capacity as armchair airline CEO!!
You cannot possibly know less than me.

The points you make above can in fact have the reverse argument.

The greater the revenue on a loss making route the larger the gross profit loss. Expectations that oil prices seemingly will remain high rather than expecting them to reduce greatly would encourage BA to retrench and focus on core routes that provide the highest levels of profit. It's profit that's the focus - not revenue, and although WW will have an eye on the strategic future value of routes he may also conclude that unless oil prices reduce he is better letting other airlines harm themselves by having those routes to themselves. He could then wait until they (the other oerators) succeed in pulling the prices up to a profitable level and then consider a reentry.

But what do I know!
Old Jun 20, 08, 12:01 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
That - of course - means that QF F will fill as people choose A380 against the "currently available" BA alternative. I hope that BA makes their mind up and even more importantly announces their plans soon so us punters can nab our beds before they're all gone.

I've assumed that QF will be the same F A380 layout as Singapore Airlines.
Assumed wrong.

FWIW, I think the SQ F product is WAY too OTT for flights lasting up to a maximum of around 15 hours (SYD-SIN is even less).

For details of the QF A380 offering, check out the News Limited site. Further info can be found at Qantas.com.

The WHY section looks bad, but I have been told by people who have seen it that it is far better than it looks, and once in service, with the anti-macassars, subdued lighting, it will be all good.

Just wondering how the WHY cabin self-service bars will go down with those on the BA board who bemoan WT+ passengers raiding the CW larder on a mid-J plane!

Dave
Old Jun 20, 08, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by thadocta View Post

For details of the QF A380 offering, check out the News Limited site. Further info can be found at Qantas.com.
Thanks for the link. I can't say I am overly impressed by the picture of the F cabin. It looks nice but I wouldn't say it's wow by any means

Considering they had a blank drawing board to begin with I am sure they could have done better and it looks very inferior compared to what SQ have done on theirs. Will be interested to see what Emirates offer and whether BA just copy QF.
Old Jun 20, 08, 12:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by BA1A View Post
Thanks for the link. I can't say I am overly impressed by the picture of the F cabin. It looks nice but I wouldn't say it's wow by any means
As I mentioned, I think the SQ F cabin is just way too over the top (and I have seen it - on the ground only, sure, during an inspection) but for me, it is just too much. For a flight when the maximum stage is going to be in the vicinity of 14 hours or so, you just do not need the level that is being offered by SQ.

Just out of interest, did you only look at the cabin view on News Ltd, or did you also look at the presentation on QF.COM? I believe the First presentation on QF.COM makes it seem a little bit better.

Dave
Old Jun 20, 08, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by thadocta View Post
As I mentioned, I think the SQ F cabin is just way too over the top (and I have seen it - on the ground only, sure, during an inspection) but for me, it is just too much. For a flight when the maximum stage is going to be in the vicinity of 14 hours or so, you just do not need the level that is being offered by SQ.

Just out of interest, did you only look at the cabin view on News Ltd, or did you also look at the presentation on QF.COM? I believe the First presentation on QF.COM makes it seem a little bit better.

Dave
I only looked at the cabin view link you posted but I will check out QF.com.

Personally, I would much rather have it OTT - the more luxurious the better

Search this Thread
Search Engine: