MAN-JFK ceases 26th October

Old Apr 18, 08, 8:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I wonder what future the recently reduced capacity Terraces Lounge at MAN has now? This is bad news for OneWorld (particularly AA) elites as well.

AA have used this service regularly as a codeshare and it's the only UK-US route giving AAdvantage miles so they've now gone from routes to BOS, ORD and JFK to a single ORD service each day. How long will that last now?
Old Apr 18, 08, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blueboys999 View Post
I wonder what future the recently reduced capacity Terraces Lounge at MAN has now? This is bad news for OneWorld (particularly AA) elites as well.

AA have used this service regularly as a codeshare and it's the only UK-US route giving AAdvantage miles so they've now gone from routes to BOS, ORD and JFK to a single ORD service each day. How long will that last now?
Don't forget the ill fated MIA that died for similar reasons.

AA have lost a lot of feed from Manchester and they have a hugely loyal customer base who come back again and again for flights to Florida and California not to mention the hugely popular industrial links filling the J cabins between the North West of England and the Midwest of the USA.

I seriously hope AA start a replacement service as they really need to keep the capacity up. Pushing everything through London just won't work in the summers anymore now.
Old Apr 18, 08, 9:04 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Blueboys999 View Post
I wonder what future the recently reduced capacity Terraces Lounge at MAN has now?
Sold off to Servisair as a contract lounge?
Old Apr 18, 08, 9:25 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by efincomputer View Post
Such a shame - just a further dilution of what used to be a truly "British" airline. I feel sorry for any staff affected by it.

BA Inter-Regional flights - GONE
BA Ground staff at regions - GONE
Club Europe flights from regions - GONE
Premium checkin from regions - GONE
Loganair franchise - GONE
BMED - GONE
GB Airways - GONE
Full service on domestic flights - GONE (except on very few morning flights)
now ex-Man JFK flights - GONE

When are we going to see what we want? - Willie Walsh - GONE

Efin
Whilst at the same time we've seen:
first beds in First class
first beds in Business Class
LHR stronghold
T5 - when teething problems sorted
AVOD
Network to all continents on earth - excluding antartica

Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I can understand all this talk about 'London Airways', but that's wrong - it's really Heathrow Airways, or T5/3-wait-a-minute-T4 Airways.

Look at LGW - handed over to easyJet in large part.

Look at LCY - never taken seriously, so it's now an AFKL hub.

Look at STN - I think BA had a flight once.

Look at LTN - nothing since IOM went the way of all flesh.

So it's not just the other domestic airports BA has abandoned.
British Airways still has a sizeable presence at Gatwick. Whilst they have parted with the GB Airways network, they're hardly abandoning Gatwick. They're in the top 3 biggest carriers, if not the first last time I checked. There's always a BA tail or three waiting for take off & the BA areas are busy round the clock. The JFK announcement confirms their commitment to Gatwick.

LCY as an airport lacks parking space & so operations are always going to be restricted. BA have tried to sensitively manage it's fleet by chopping & changing the network every week or something. However, Air France KLM had the balls to go & establish a large presence there, firstly with CityJet & then buying out ScotAir & VLM, who is the largest operator there.

BA is certainly interested in LCY, yet lack the boldness to commit full resources to it. The current fleet is obviously due for renewal soon. It will be interesting to see how it pans out, especially with JFK ops starting soon.
Old Apr 18, 08, 9:41 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Seems someone in OW still takes MAN seriously

Finnair Homepage

"More flights to Manchester, Kiev and Warsaw

Three daily flights to Manchester and one daily to Kiev

Finnair adds a daily flight to the Manchester route starting May 2, 2008. Direct flights then amount to three every weekday and two on Saturdays and Sundays."
Old Apr 18, 08, 10:30 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
The good news is that it releases an arrivals gate at T3 from 6am to 10am^

Maybe no more waiting for a gate when the AA service from ORD arrives early.
Old Apr 19, 08, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
flyboy777: I think you're almost agreeing with me.

LGW: easyJet are the major operator now, I understand. It's not just the former GB routes which went to easyjet, it's also major expansion from EZ which combined with BA's service reductions meant that LGW is much less significant for BA than in the past. (I didn't say 'abandon', just 'handed over ... in large part'.)

LCY: 'BA is certainly interested in LCY, yet lack the boldness to commit full resources to it. Er, difficult to understand that. Some of us would have welcomed BA service from LCY in the past but had to sit back and watch as Brymon, London City Airways (British Midland) and others developed operations there. Boldness or not, there is little BA can do to expand now that AFKL and *A airlines operate the majority of services.

On a personal level, I am delighted. Three operators to Zurich and no fewer than 15 rotations most days is admirable.

I do think that London Airways is a misnomer for BA, and Heathrow Airways is a fairer description.
Old Apr 19, 08, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
But that distinction only really matters if you are in London, and there is a difference in convenience between the two airports. To me, coming from Edinburgh, I've got to fly through London. End of. Sometimes I'll transit at LGW and sometimes I'll transit at LHR. Both are in London, and I don't really want to go there. As an FTer, I can express a bit more of a preference and say that LGW has been easier to transit through, prior to T5, but most normal people from outside London don't even see it in those terms.

So sorry, while a Londoner might consider them heathrow airways, to a non-Londoner, they'll always be London Airways.
Old Apr 19, 08, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
So sorry, while a Londoner might consider them heathrow airways, to a non-Londoner, they'll always be London Airways.
Indeed and the road to get there for me just happens to be the M4...it just also happens to be a 135 mile journey as well door to door.

However I am constantly amazed how I can do that journey in the same time as someone living half the distance - say Essex to Heathrow.
Old Apr 19, 08, 10:32 am

Programs: BA / Emirates / Qatar / Virgin
I flew man-jfk this week. Both good flights and the crew were excellent. We used miles to upgrade to CW. We will probably go back to New York in the future. One empty seat in CW and I reckon the rest of the aircraft was either full or close to it after a quick walk to the back.

Find it hard to believe they don't make money out of it. There were some regular flyers in CW who were not to happy about the loss of the service.
Old Apr 19, 08, 12:08 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Halkett View Post
Find it hard to believe they don't make money out of it. There were some regular flyers in CW who were not to happy about the loss of the service.
It may not necessarily be that the MAN-JFK was doing badly, more perhaps that resources would be better used elsewhere. LGW-JFK is a competitive move in the wake of Open Skies which along with LCY-JFK & OpenSkies, stakes their claim to the JFK market. MAN-JFK doesn't link in with other BA operations & future strategy.
Old Apr 20, 08, 12:48 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
Now that Heathrowish Airways is withdrawing MAN-JFK, I wouldn't be surprised if another carrier jumped on the chance to fill the niche. Plus, Delta & Continental serve MAN, so it's not all bad. And who knows, maybe good 'ole Virgin Atlantic will start services, or EK will do a DXB-MAN-JFK.
Old Apr 20, 08, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life Aegean Gold HILTON Diamond STARWOOD Life Platinum IHG Spire Ambassador
If anything else goes from Manchester - us up North - may be able to claim to be 'out of London' and so eligible for all the promotions used to get non UK customers to fly with BA, European tier thresholds for card status, etc.!!
I would rather have a good service from Manchester. The airport is bursting with energy and development so not sure why BA has made such a disaster of the dedicated terminal 3. Even the logo has been taken down from outside!
Old Apr 20, 08, 10:30 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by directorguy_ View Post
Now that Heathrowish Airways is withdrawing MAN-JFK, I wouldn't be surprised if another carrier jumped on the chance to fill the niche. Plus, Delta & Continental serve MAN, so it's not all bad. And who knows, maybe good 'ole Virgin Atlantic will start services, or EK will do a DXB-MAN-JFK.
Virgin's fleet seems to be very stretched at the moment, so I think it is unlikely unless they withdraw a service to make way for it. Also, Virgin seems to be focused on reviewing its LHR operation, with a lot of speculation about certain product features following the grounding of the in flight beauty therapists.

That said, not every airline trying to get into LHR post-Open Skies is going to be a winner, so I wouldn't be surprised if some retreat out of LHR after the initial gold rush (as is usually the case when markets are deregulated).
Old Apr 20, 08, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by directorguy_ View Post
Originally Posted by ian001 View Post
Virgin's fleet seems to be very stretched at the moment, so I think it is unlikely unless they withdraw a service to make way for it. Also, Virgin seems to be focused on reviewing its LHR operation, with a lot of speculation about certain product features following the grounding of the in flight beauty therapists.

That said, not every airline trying to get into LHR post-Open Skies is going to be a winner, so I wouldn't be surprised if some retreat out of LHR after the initial gold rush (as is usually the case when markets are deregulated).
MAN-NYC already gets a daily Delta B757, a PIA B777 & double daily B757s of Continental to Newark. Why try & fill the gap?

As meantioned, Virgin's fleet is currently stretched at the moment. MAN sees operations by the LGW B747 fleet which is currently outfitted for a very high-density layout. 400+ seats would be way out of line at somewhere like JFK with only a small Upper Class cabin. LHR fleet could be used perhaps? B747-400s are maxed out daily flying the busiest sectors in the network. An A340may work but I doubt VS would sacrifice valuable LHR slots for shuttle flights so something along the lines of LHR-JFK-MAN-JFK-LHR could work. Still, if Virgin were to add JFK/EWR flights then I'm sure they would be to the more profitable London terminus. However, MAN-JFK would make a prime B787 route!

Emirates are unlikely to fill any gaps if it isn't to cover the DXB-JFK market specifically. Since A380s are coming online this year, that will surely fill in the capacity for the meantime.

Some airlines may try & pull out of LHR if they simply can't compete & it's costing them so much. But remember how valuable those slots are. Virgin are least likely to sell slots off. They've got a large fleet of Dreamliners coming & very few slots to put them in...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: