LGW-JFK starting from 27th October

Old Apr 17, 08, 4:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

A good move by BA. I expect this will be very popular with O&D pax living in South London as well as those in NYC travelling onward to Italy and Poland.

This, I trust, also signals the future viability of LGW's First lounge
Old Apr 17, 08, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier, SPG Gold, BA Silver wanabee
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Loaded in the BA timetable:

LGW departs 11:10am - JFK arrives 14:05
JFK departs 18:00 - arrives LGW 06:05
And of course this being BA and it's commitment to doing things to 50% completion, the MAN-JFK-MAN hasn't been taken out of the timetable.

A LGW-JFK-LGW flight search in November on ba.com does indeed show the new non-stop options..alongside many options connecting via MAN
Old Apr 18, 08, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by jakesterUK View Post
First long haul flight I did was LGW - JFK (I think it was JFK anyway) in 1995 on a BA DC10 (I think)....
Sorry, I don't mention to remember which equipment has being operated from LGW-JFK. Is that operated of DC10 instead of 767 aircraft. You can look it up which specific information on the timetable from BA.
Old Apr 18, 08, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
Originally Posted by bazzatel View Post
Which City analyst said this week that over-capacity on the JFK routes was one of the concerns leading her to designate BA has her "least-preferred" EU network carrier?

I guess there must be a market from LGW now that DL has transferred it's LGW flights to LHR, and another frequency on the LON-NYC routes (12 per day on most days!) is a truly compelling USP for BA
Credit crunch anyone? It was only on Monday this week that JP Morgan were forecasting that 40,000 jobs would go in the City due to the downturn in the global economy. It is only a forecast granted, but it is probably fair to say that all costs will look to be redurced in the curent climate including travel.

Interesting times for sure - oversupply must be a real possibility now from LHR - so this may be a wise move for BA - though moving a middle of the day service from LHR may have been more prudent.

Good luck to them at least those of us from the regions can choose to connect via LHR or LGW to JFK now...

NGBTS.
Old Apr 18, 08, 10:51 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Sorry, I don't mention to remember which equipment has being operated from LGW-JFK. Is that operated of DC10 instead of 767 aircraft. You can look it up which specific information on the timetable from BA.
DC10
Old Apr 18, 08, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by BOH View Post
DC10
Hi BOH,

Following the takeover of British Caledonian ( BCal) by BA in the 1980's the DC10s operated by BCal were used by BA ( inc PHX /LAX and New York ) before being retired

Regards

TBS

PS Lots of BA DC10 photos here;
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...ne_version=6.0
Old Apr 18, 08, 11:46 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
A good move by BA. I expect this will be very popular with O&D pax living in South London as well as those in NYC travelling onward to Italy and Poland.

Except they are returning WAW back to LHR later in the year, 6 months after moving to LGW......

That should please the huge Polish community in west London!
Old Apr 18, 08, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently View Post
Except they are returning WAW back to LHR later in the year, 6 months after moving to LGW......

Hi,

I think the BA announcement was that the LHR-WAW flights would by 2x daily ( I think prior to the move to LGW the flights were 3x daily)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 18, 08, 12:05 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently View Post

Where are the slots coming from?

I think they should do what they used to do loads at Gatwick. Fly to major european cities from Heathrow, but supplementing flights from Gatwick. AMS. FCO & BCN are examples of this today, but dozens of destinations used to be like this.

I guess as Gatwick began to move off to cover different markets & with GB Airways being sold the fleet being stretched etc.
Old Apr 18, 08, 12:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by flyboy777 View Post
Where are the slots coming from?
Possibly from the slot pair vacated by the frequency reduction on the LHR-BRU service. The switch doesn't take place until October so it is very likely that further minor schedule tweaks will happen between now and the time the Winter timetable takes effect.
Old Apr 18, 08, 2:57 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi BOH,

Following the takeover of British Caledonian ( BCal) by BA in the 1980's the DC10s operated by BCal were used by BA ( inc PHX /LAX and New York ) before being retired

Regards

TBS
Oh, I'm well aware that BA had DC10's and posted only a few weeks ago of a flight I took on one of these to DFW in the 90's

See post #39 in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ht=dc10&page=3

The implication I read from N830MH was that DC10 is the current equipment used, hence the from me
Old Apr 18, 08, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
I apologise for reminiscing, and mentioning a now retired aircraft.

Dare I mention the double layered meal tray with a slidy bit that lasted for 10 minutes?
Old Apr 18, 08, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post

OK, maybe I'm being a dumb blonde, but what's O&D
Old Apr 18, 08, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have just come off a FCO-LGW flight, the 1815 FCO departure, as we were taking off over towards the town of Fiumicino, I saw the 1715 LHR departure 321 Airbus pull back off stand.

The latest I have been from FCO - LGW is the scheduled arrival time. It is great having LGW/LHR flexibility and choice. ^^^^

JFK is a welcome addition, although the 1110 departure is quite odd, and the return is horrendously early, it would be 1am when you land at 6am!
Old Apr 18, 08, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl View Post
OK, maybe I'm being a dumb blonde, but what's O&D
Origin and Destination.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: