FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Rumour from LGW? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/813246-rumour-lgw.html)

hsmall Apr 15, 2008 3:12 pm

Rumour from LGW?

After an excellent flight from BCN to LGW late Saturday night I was chatting to the chief cabin crew person (who had a title I have forgotten) while we were waiting for someone to knock on the doors so they could be opened. I reamrked that I had almost forgotten what a nice airport Gatwick could be and what a pleasure it had been to fly from and to it again. She said that we could expect a major announcement about "some exciting stuff at Gatwick" very soon.

I did not press her: the door was then knocked on, it was 2330 and we were both tired. But does anyone know what she meant?

BOH Apr 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by hsmall (Post 9577988)
..... She said that we could expect a major announcement about "some exciting stuff at Gatwick" very soon.

I did not press her: the door was then knocked on, it was 2330 and we were both tired. But does anyone know what she meant?

A new LGW terminal, exclusively for BA use with a "state of the art" baggage system?

xxxxx Apr 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Probably talking about new longhaul routes from LGW.

astralclouds Apr 15, 2008 3:23 pm

Leisure-only longhaul 767s with bean bags and scatter cushions instead of seats - to complement the LCY-JFK A318 service?

sunrisegirl Apr 15, 2008 3:25 pm

There's continual rumours of new routes, especially long haul. LGW has done really well this Winter season and exceeded all performance targets for on time departures so we live in hope of seeing some long hauls come our way.

However, there are also rumours of becoming more of a "bucket and spade" operation so who knows, only time will tell. Let's not forget Sleazy Jet have moved in and Thomson are due to do likewise tomorrow, 16th April :eek:

WW is coming to see us all later this week, maybe he'll bring good news but I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

And the title of the chief cabin crew person at LGW is a Cabin Manager - they wear blue/silver ties or cravats. Some of the short hauls go out with a Purser as the senior cc member on board.

jkw76 Apr 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by astralclouds (Post 9578063)
Leisure-only longhaul 767s with bean bags and scatter cushions instead of seats - to complement the LCY-JFK A318 service?

Would never work: "Before take off, please ensure that any bags in the area around you are placed under the bean bag in front". Then again, half the passengers can't even get that right today.

xxxxx Apr 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl (Post 9578078)
There's continual rumours of new routes, especially long haul. LGW has done really well this Winter season and exceeded all performance targets for on time departures so we live in hope of seeing some long hauls come our way.

However, there are also rumours of becoming more of a "bucket and spade" operation so who knows, only time will tell. Let's not forget Sleazy Jet have moved in and Thomson are due to do likewise tomorrow, 16th April :eek:

WW is coming to see us all later this week, maybe he'll bring good news but I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

And the title of the chief cabin crew person at LGW is a Cabin Manager - they wear blue/silver ties or cravats. Some of the short hauls go out with a Purser as the senior cc member on board.

Have easyjet and Thomson moved in to the BA chck in area or is that still just BA?

hsmall Apr 15, 2008 4:19 pm

That was it: cabin manager. And very good she was too.

sunrisegirl Apr 15, 2008 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by xxxxx (Post 9578117)
Have easyjet and Thomson moved in to the BA chck in area or is that still just BA?

No Zone D is still all BA and likely to remain so I believe. Where we had the check in zones on Zone E is now easyjet, though we still use the old AA desks (E17 - 20) for Air Southwest and groups.

Thomson are moving into Zone A I believe as Emirates have now moved to Zone F where CO used to be.

It's like musical chairs :p

HighlandPark Apr 15, 2008 4:33 pm

My last few BA trips through LGW have been excellent in all respects (admittedly a couple were with GB Airways rather than mainline BA). I now prefer LGW over LHR, even though the 737s are rather old and I live nearer to LHR than LGW. Perhaps my first trip through T5 (due at the end of this month) will change my mind!

Roger Apr 16, 2008 1:36 am

Originally Posted by BOH (Post 9578011)
A new LGW terminal, exclusively for BA use with a "state of the art" baggage system?

:D

Let's not forget Sleazy Jet have moved in ...

Presumably a reference to easyJet who have picked up routes that BA abandoned and are now I think the biggest operator at LGW. Taking over from where BA left off.

clubman Apr 16, 2008 1:44 am

Purser, Cabin Manager, Cabin Service Director...
How many names does BA need for the same job?

EuropeanPete Apr 16, 2008 1:45 am

Having Easyjet all over the North terminal feels a bit odd, but zone D is still just BA and when I do need to talk to someone it's normally quick and effective. Benefit of having many less elite customers than LHR, I suppose.

In terms of rumours, I'd got the impression some months ago that the shift would be for many of the LGW-US routes to move to T5 but for some mid-range to come to LGW, in line with the bucket & spade move mentioned above. It was all a bit vague though...

vSFU Apr 16, 2008 1:47 am

BA - please bring the 7pm NCE flights back to LGW. The new LCY flight leaves in the morning and the 20.35 from LHR is usually 1-2 hours late.

BahrainLad Apr 16, 2008 1:51 am

I have had pretty good recent experiences from Gatwick. A few minor delays, but the 737s seem to have had a clean, and I even got given a Fast Track sticker on a LGW-MAN after using Club checkin.