Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour from LGW?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by jakesterUK
But with 14 seats in Upper Class, it can't do that well, can it? I know that there have rarely been premium seats available when I've needed them but 12 seats in J is not many to fill (and keep the prices high)...
Remember that Virgin configures it's LGW based B747s with 14 Upper Class Suites & 58 Premium Economy seats. BGI & LAS are the better performing routes for Virgin according to V-flyer. LGW Upper Class loads are doing well, it was rumoured that Upper Class was to extend to the Upper Deck...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:50 pm

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by HighlandPark
Perhaps my first trip through T5 (due at the end of this month) will change my mind!
Oh yes it will. Had my 5th departure flight from T5 today and all five have departed on time and arrived on time. Admittingly never checked in luggage, but it is always quiet, never had more than 2-3 people in front of me at security, First lounge is excellent.

I do like LGW and use it once a month or so, but compared to T5 it looks tired.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
Would this be an attack on NWA's PDX-AMS flights for NWA starting Seattle-LHR flights?

Also, PDX is not currently connected to the UK. SO it could be true?

Originally Posted by flyboy777
http://www.google.com/search?sitesea...ulltext=Search

Wikipedia at it again - scroll down, it's highlighted near the bottom.

British Airways has decided to start nonstop services to Portland from London's Gatwick airport. The flight will run daily with a Boeing 777 and will begin June 1st

Oh dear
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
Would this be an attack on NWA's PDX-AMS flights for NWA starting Seattle-LHR flights?

I think it is highly unlikely.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by flyboy777
A standard BA B747-400 spends almost half the day on the ground earning no money at all (admitedly, turn around, cleaning, refueling, maintence need doing & optimising flight times) & therefore flies the equivlant of a daily return to JFK or a single LHR-HKG.

So considering BA has so many slots at Heathrow couldn't they just shuffle everything around, make more efficient use of the fleet & excess aircraft operate from LGW...
We have no 747 engineering staff at LGW any longer which would make it difficult to move them back over. Whether there are plans to recruit or redeploy any I don't know.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
We have no 747 engineering staff at LGW any longer which would make it difficult to move them back over. Whether there are plans to recruit or redeploy any I don't know.
more to the pitty!!!

however i think what was meant was that if the 747 fleet was better utilized then surely this would allow for a small number of other a/c to be re-deployed to LGW, perhaps along the lines of the 777's??

unlikely i know, far more likely that BA will try and source some 2nd hand a/c i would of thought.

However considering BA's brilliant maintenance of the 747 fleet and other a/c would anyone else think it possible that some of the a/c due for retirement when the orders to replace some of the older a/c start arriving start getting moved to LGW and their retirement delayed to allow expansion ?

personally speak i hope so! LGW is brilliant as far as im concerned especially considering its served by the only BA connection into London as well as some very well times and fairly well priced WOW flights. The more routes the better, especially longer distance routes! just a shame about the arrival time of the NQY-LGW so that it doesn't allow for connection onto the American/Caribbean routes
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jakesterUK
But with 14 seats in Upper Class, it can't do that well, can it? I know that there have rarely been premium seats available when I've needed them but 12 seats in J is not many to fill (and keep the prices high)...
Have you been on that LGW-LAS flight? It is mainly stag and hen parties. Packed and rowdy.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by KenJohn
Have you been on that LGW-LAS flight? It is mainly stag and hen parties. Packed and rowdy.
Vegas is such a classy place.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:32 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Tanaka07

Yes, but the article says starting on June 1st. An announcement should have been made by now, probably around January time to allow for ticket sales. Second, is there even any spare LGW capacity this summer & third - why start Portland flights when places like Vegas are well known to be a destination on the radar?!

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Whilst formerly GB Airways A320 family aircraft may have complicated things a bit, are their any A320 engineering staff. The current Gatwick Airbus ops are Heathrow based birds cycled through Edinburgh or something...? Do they get there own engineering staff?

Originally Posted by KenJohn
That's probably because Virgin flogs around 350 seats in economy on each flight. Apparently they run out of all booze onboard before they're in US airspace...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have read alot on here about us flying to LAS, but at a meeting I attended a while back we were told that we already carry something like 30% of all premium traffic on this route via our other gateways. I am guessing it won't be LAS, but this is BA so who knows.
CIHY
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:37 am

willie said in his forum at lgw today starting on 27th oct LGW - JFK
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by lgw29
4-class too, I've heard
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by lgw29
Excellent! Often have to go to JFK. Our offices are directly above City Thameslink and it is much easier to to get to LGW than LHR. ideally I'd like a departure in the early afternoon so I can do a morning's work first...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold BD Silver Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by aristoph
Vegas is such a classy place.
hey i got married there
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:57 am

yes 4 class to jfk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.