Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What compensation are you getting from the T5 chaos?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Curious to see if and what compensation pax are getting (if any) from the chaos at T5.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 5:46 am

So far nothing it seems. My friend's flight departing Milan tonight has been cancelled as in to T5. He is not even allowed to get his ticket endorsed onto another airline so he can make the trip. It is either fly tomorrow/sunday subject to availability - this is too late for his personal circumstances or get a full refund.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:00 am

Programs: MUCCI
Not sure if this would help as a bench mark but when the Gate Gourmet Fiasco took hold I was due to fly to TXL. I got there 2 days late.

BA paid for expenses due to inconvenience and gave me 100,000 miles.

FD
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by 2kind
Curious to see if and what compensation pax are getting (if any) from the chaos at T5.
G-BOAC, BahrainLad and a few others are said to have received almighty hangovers compliments of BA after yesterday's problems.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, KLM Cardboard
So far, just a 150GBP Visa Electron card to cover expenses while my luggage is 6000 miles away from me. There was an almost-4 hour delay outbound, but that doesn't bother me as much. I don't think I'll concern myself too much over compensation until I'm back in the UK, no point in spoiling a holiday over it. (Plus, my BA Amex Prem insurance has kicked in )
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Teece
G-BOAC, BahrainLad and a few others are said to have received almighty hangovers compliments of BA after yesterday's problems.

Superb!!!! what more could you ask for then! ^
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
Wanted to fly yesterday but buckled under extreme pressure from Mrs Eyeswater and have long-standing F booking next week.

The stress caused by the waves of smugness and "I told you so" looks I am now getting are worth at least 100k in compo....
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
BA paid for expenses due to inconvenience and gave me 100,000 miles.
FD
Wow.....from someone who is relatively new to the flying clubs etc is that the norm in terms of miles? Or was that a generous amount that was given?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by majoreyeswater
waves of smugness and "I told you so" looks I am now getting ....

hmmmmm........I feel like I have been in a similar situation many a time
women's intuition???
(Ducks for cover)
Old Mar 28, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by 2kind
Wow.....from someone who is relatively new to the flying clubs etc is that the norm in terms of miles? Or was that a generous amount that was given?
I really am not sure but I know in the past that where BA have had major issues that people have had large numbers of airmiles as compensation.

FD
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
When the Gate Gormless fiasco hit a few years back the compensation was standard:

Gold: 100,000 miles
Silver: 50,000 miles
Blue: 25,000 miles (?)

Once the 'all day deli' boxes were in place the compensation went down and I think for shorthaul you used to get something like 5-10k miles if you complained.

I know I got hit on the very first day of it all in SFO and it really made for a miserable flight - 11 hours or so in J with nothing except a bottle of water and a maxpax coffee (rejected) about 1 hour from LHR.

BAH
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ah, the deli box. Those were the days. Although, if truth were told, if you were on an EU flight then the takeaway deli box from the lounge was better than what you would have got in Y on the plane itself. It was a bit embarrassing if you were sitting in Y with your BA deli box, though, whilst your seat mate got nothing.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The vouchers that came before the deli box were best. Enough for a bottle of champagne and smoked salmon when 2 of you were travelling. ^
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
The vouchers that came before the deli box were best. Enough for a bottle of champagne and smoked salmon when 2 of you were travelling. ^
Yes indeed. Or, at Munich Airport, a nice BA person directed me to a civilised restaurant at the very top of the terminal building after handing over the voucher. Amazing views and really nice Italian food.

That, with a glass of beer, looking out over the German countryside was much better than a 'slip and tip' meal on the plane.

BAH
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Did Britain leave the EU?

Today they are not even able to comply with EU law. They must be nuts offering the following on their website:

You can rebook to the same destination within the validity of your original ticket.
or
You can rebook to the nearest city to your original destination within the validity of the original ticket. Onward travel from this city to your original destination will be at your expense.
or
You can receive a full refund to your original form of payment.
Obviously BA wants to qualify the T5 desaster as an Act of God what it certainly is not. They qualify the move to Terminal 5 as one of the biggest and most complex airport moves ever undertaken which is certainly BS: Munich managed to move a full airport overnight. However, when you expect the most complex terminal move you should have "plan B" which they obviously failed to take care of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.