Wiki Posts
Search

BA lost my bag

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA silver
BA lost my bag

on my flight home from Amsterdam today My bag did not show up, went to the desk and they said to call back tomorrow, What to do next ???
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
You checked a bag on a TP run with 3hrs in AMS?

Originally Posted by evian1
What to do next ???
Call back tomorrow like, err, they said?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: AF; DL; & SQ FF Programs
Call back tomorrow. Did you file a report? They should be trying to locate the bag and may be waiting for it to come in on another flight. Did you identify inside and out?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
You checked a bag on a TP run with 3hrs in AMS?
Yeah as i just got back from LA this morning an did not have time to go home first

the Lady on the desk has my details and gave me a form to fill out, if my case is not found...
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah as i just got back from LA this morning an did not have time to go home first
Pretty dedicated! So what exactly happened? Did they check the bag LAX-LON-AMS for you? Or did you collect and re-check at LON for LON-AMS? Did you collect at AMS in the turnaround then re-check AMS-LON? Where exactly did it go missing in the process?

PS Next time, consider the temporary luggage stores
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Pretty dedicated! So what exactly happened? Did they check the bag LAX-LON-AMS for you? Or did you collect and re-check at LON for LON-AMS? Did you collect at AMS in the turnaround then re-check AMS-LON? Where exactly did it go missing in the process?

PS Next time, consider the temporary luggage stores

I went from LHR to LGW and re-checked my bag, it went missing on way back from AMS to LGW. someone else on my flights bag was also missing.

I know but it was only small-ish bag
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went from LHR to LGW and re-checked my bag, it went missing on way back from AMS to LGW.
OK, so just to be clear, you checked it LGW-AMS then at AMS you collected it OK and went back to check-in there to check it AMS-LGW?

Do you have all the relevant bag tag receipts? You may need them to chase up is all.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

OK, so just to be clear, you checked it LGW-AMS then at AMS you collected it OK and went back to check-in there to check it AMS-LGW?

Do you have all the relevant bag tag receipts? You may need them to chase up is all.
Yep thats correct, i have the bag tag receipt.

Pretty dedicated! def, i only done the AMS trip so i can pick my seat in club to TOKYO in few weeks

Last edited by evian1; Mar 18, 2008 at 6:11 pm
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:24 am

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I am in the same boat. I traveled LAX-ORD-LHR-RAK on the 13th (LAX-ORD-LHR on AA and LHR-RAK on BA). It is now the 18th, and my bags aren't found yet. The RAK baggage people were quite unhelpful, and the lack of information (and also clothes) is very frustrating. I had a five hour connection in London, and I was surprised that my bags couldn't make it. I have already given up hope finding my bags, but it is just frustrating because I didn't think it would happen to me.

I called up BA bags office in Hong Kong, and they told me bags will be declared lost if not found 21 days after departure. I asked about compensation, and they said it depends on fare, cabin class, route and other things. Anyone know what ball-park should I be aiming for?

Last edited by pacificboot; Mar 19, 2008 at 4:26 am Reason: RAK = Marrakech, Morocco
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Do i claim from BA or my travel insurance ? or both???
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do i claim from BA or my travel insurance ? or both???
Neither yet. You will almost certainly find your travel insurance doesn't cover the leg back home for delayed bags (since you have other clothes at home), only outbound/mid-trip delays.

BA should track and reunite you with your bag (if they can't for a simple AMS-LGW wher there are multiple daily flights from them to put the bag on, then it's a bloody poor show) relatively soon.

If it is declared lost by BA after however many days, then you'd have a claim to take up.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Neither yet. You will almost certainly find your travel insurance doesn't cover the leg back home for delayed bags (since you have other clothes at home), only outbound/mid-trip delays.

BA should track and reunite you with your bag (if they can't for a simple AMS-LGW wher there are multiple daily flights from them to put the bag on, then it's a bloody poor show) relatively soon.

If it is declared lost by BA after however many days, then you'd have a claim to take up.
Hopefully they will find it, But will i be able to claim some free miles for the inconvenience, as i had to go to work this morning in an old nike t shirt and ripped jeans and i got charged waiting time for my taxi home last night.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

claim some free miles for the inconvenience
Now it becomes clear...

as i had to go to work this morning in an old nike t shirt and ripped jeans
I am confused. Do you live in the UK (was this the final leg 'home') or elsewhere?
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Now it becomes clear...

I am confused. Do you live in the UK (was this the final leg 'home') or elsewhere?
I live in California moved there few weeks ago, and came back to london for work
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See, it helps if you actually give out the relevant information when you're asking for help...

I live in California moved there few weeks ago, and came back to london for work
In that case, this is not the leg 'home' of your trip so that means your insurance should probably cover essential clothes (but do check the specific rules). Did BA at LGW not give you a charge card or some immediate payment to cover essential items?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.