Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jeans in FIRST on Longhaul Flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Jeans in FIRST on Longhaul Flights

I know people have different views on this and a debate took place at my golf club over the weekend. The concensus was that most would dress casually but no jeans,

I personally think that jeans can look scruffy at times but if worn with a classy shirt, leather shoes and cotton jacket then thats ok with me.

On the otherhand comfort is the key

Any other views?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:20 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Jeans and a polo shirt is my normal traveling attire, whether in Y, J or F.

Jeans with a jacket???? Yuk... very American

Cheers,
Rick
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:21 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Comfort is indeed the key. You're flying in F to get somewhere in comfort, not to impress people.

I personally have no time for casual dress codes that exclude specific items of clothing. It's casual, or its not.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:24 am

If I've paid 5k for an F ticket I'll bloody wear what I want to!!!!!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:26 am

The days of dressing up when flying FC or as a matter of
fact when "flying" per se, are long gone and distant history.
There is no dress code to flying anymore, whatever is
comfortable, that's the rule.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
It's pretty irrelevant given that you walk on, dump you bags, take your seat, go to toilet, get changed into PJ's, hang up clothes, return to seat and enjoy flight.

Plus nobody takes any notice and just gets on with their own lives.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:27 am

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
If you've paid for a ticket you should wear what you want and feel comfortable in. I've seen from suits to jeans, t-shirt, shorts etc.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Jeans are the only thing i wear in FIRST, its public transport not a private members club

I have even wore tracksuits when i have had to go straight to work after, i just feel embarrassed for the people who actually dress up to fly.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by vSFU
If you've paid for a ticket you should wear what you want and feel comfortable in.
I agree, and it's almost always jeans for me.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:34 am

Dear Lord, it's 2008. Wear what you like.

Are you British?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:36 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by kpriestnal
a debate took place at my golf club
Sartorial tips from golfers?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:38 am

Wow! What a comprehensive set of responses!

For what it's worth I agree with the other replies - for goodness sake as look as it's not offensive wear what you like, of course jeans are ok.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:39 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
I won't even go to a bar or club if its the sort of place that has an outdated 'no jeans or sneakers' type policy, or a restaurant that requires gents to wear a jacket and/or shirt and tie.

Winds me up no end that to play golf I have to put some trousers on, which in fact, is possibly the only pair of trousers I own.

I ALWAYS wear jeans.
Normally in a cool T shirt/sweater anda distressed/battered leather biker jacket (no tassles ) and the maddest carry on bag you can imagine.
To top it off, I am usually wearing a pair of (immaculate) Puma sneakers.

So what if its in club, or in F?
Thats what I wear.
It's in no way scruffy, but I am comfortable. I've paid for it.
Normally get the crew asking what I do for a living too- as I'm not dressed like most business travellers.

I couldn't give a toss if someone tries to looks down their nose at me.
Its happened before in the lounge at JFk- you get 'the look' of 'what are YOU doing in here?', and then when you board, their eyes pop out when you walk upstairs or turn left

Last edited by leaveamessage; Mar 10, 2008 at 4:45 am
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:43 am

I don't even consider what to wear. Whether I'm in WT, WT+, J or F, I've paid for my ticket and I wear what I like, what feels comfortable and looks fine in my views. The class of travel has no bearing on this at all. When I travel F, which I do on full-fare tickets reasonably often (although much much more often in J) it has no impact on what I wear. As a matter of fact I normally wear jeans, and a decent classy leisure shirt, Paul Smith or such, cos that's what I normally wear to relax in.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:46 am

Jeans for me. Always.

One time when I was flying in F to ATL the FA's tried to keep me from deplaning until all of the F passengers departed.

"But I am in First. I know I don't look like it with jeans but I was in 3K".

The FA's laughed, apologized, and said that was not the reason. They thought I was one of those J passengers trying to slip through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.