Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pilots strike talks break down. [2008 thread]

Pilots strike talks break down. [2008 thread]

Old Mar 9, 08, 4:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
My guess is that there will no BA contingency plan (well not the one we'd all like) - based on my recent BA experiences - once there is a problem they will simply offer refunds to everyone and allow you to make your own way home.
Old Mar 9, 08, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm going somewhere really really nice in First Class, wearing my new Gabicci Vintage range knitwear and a pair of limited edition Japanese denims. I have gold tags on my hand luggage and like the sound of my own voice, do you think I will be affected?
Old Mar 9, 08, 5:05 am

Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
Originally Posted by pachamama View Post
I'm going somewhere really really nice in First Class, wearing my new Gabicci Vintage range knitwear and a pair of limited edition Japanese denims. I have gold tags on my hand luggage and like the sound of my own voice, do you think I will be affected?
are you sure you're traveling on BA FIRST? More like UC on Virgin.
Old Mar 9, 08, 5:55 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
OK, so can I throw this one into the risk management pot?

I've got an ex-EU coming up. The locator flight from London to the EU, and the short haul sector 1 from EU back to London are on a Sunday. The long haul sector 2 is on the following Monday.

If the strike is on the Sunday (leave aside the probability of a weekend strike vs a weekday strike), am I bovvered? Will it mean that I can go straight to sector 2, and ignore the inconvenience of having to fly the locator flight and sector 1, or will my ticket be cancelled automatically because I don't fly sector 1?

Common sense tells me the latter. Which probably means that isn't how it will work.
Old Mar 9, 08, 11:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer View Post
Gotta disagree with this sentiment. You've obviously never heard of something called 'risk management', whereby you assign probabilities and time/cost impacts to possible future outcomes -thereby enabling the individual or business to minimise the impact of the possible negative event (in this case, a pilot's strike).

I'd far rather have a contingency plan in place now, than wait until the last minute when - following an (admittedly not yet definite) announcement of strike dates - everyone is trying to get booked on other flights. A bit like starting your Christmas shopping on 24 December.
Angel - it is one thing to make contingency plans but another to speculate over what we do not know. We could sit here for hours worrying over whether our flights are going to fly or not only to find that it is to no avail. I have read post after post here from people who have arrangements and who are now going to be seriously affected. The difference between this and your example is that in this instance Christmas could be the 28th, the 30th, the 29th - we just do not know. I think that is what is getting to everyone at this stage is the not knowing.

It may entirely prudent to make alternative bookings at this stage but lots of people are not on flexible tickets and the cheap fares have ong been swallowed - but if they pull this at Easter than a lot of people are going to be staying put, there is nothing so certain. For HI and I it will be an inconvenience - but not the end of the world. For others it is the culmination of weeks of planning and I feel so sorry for them. We now have to wait to see what BA actaully do for passengers who are supposed to be flying on the days that are affected as and when we find out when these are.

The storm of the winter is due on Monday, the announcement of when we might expect not to travel he same day, the budget on Wednesday. This week is going to be a barrel of laughs. Not. Roll on next weekend!

FWIW I have not seen a word about this in the press (Telegraph coming home this morning (very quick flight I might add) or S Times today) HI knew nothing and he has Radio 4 chattering all day long (change from me he says. )

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Mar 9, 08 at 11:28 am
Old Mar 9, 08, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by flyerfox View Post
will comair, the BA subsidiary airline in South Africa be affected?
No, because it's extremely unlikely they would be part of BALPA - the British AirLines Pilots Association.
Old Mar 9, 08, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
No, because it's extremely unlikely they would be part of BALPA - the British AirLines Pilots Association.
Am I missing something? BA pilots are possibly going to strike over the positions of pilots, who have not yet been hired, who work for another airline, based in another country? Surely this is secondary strike action. It's a bit like Comair pilots going on strike for BA pilots. I don't profess to know all of the complexities, but it seems to me that the reasons stipulated for the strike are an excuse to have a pop at the crap BA management. I just wish that someone would fire Willie Walsh and get someone who actually knows how to run a full service airline. I don't generally agree with strike action, especially where it seems to be for people who haven't been employed yet, (a new airline competing on a new route should surely pay less -the pilots are working for a different company -just as people who work for Holiday Inn Express in Bucharest are likely to be on different salaries to those who work for the IC on Park lane).

I just hope that the beligerant unions feel proud when there is no airline left to strike over. Equally, I hope that management pull their act together and engage properly in negotiations.

To be selfishly honest, I hope they get the injunction. I also hope that BA pilots and crew realise that the passengers know that it's BA management at fault, but I dare say O'leary isn't easy to work for, and his crew seem to work.

As a passenger, I may be forced to go on my own strike very soon if this inevitable yearly disruption doesn't stop.

Hopefully, for everyone's benefit, this strike won't go ahead -BA doesn't need this negative publicity.
Old Mar 10, 08, 2:05 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
FWIW I have not seen a word about this in the press (Telegraph coming home this morning (very quick flight I might add) or S Times today) HI knew nothing and he has Radio 4 chattering all day long (change from me he says. )
Woo, finally got a chance to quote an icon

Now on the bbc website ...
Old Mar 10, 08, 2:40 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Macspreader View Post
Woo, finally got a chance to quote an icon

Now on the bbc website ...
An Icon??

Moi???

Without being blaspamous but highly OT (well HI say that I am my favourite subject of conversation) in what is liable to be a very heated thread. Were Icons not venerated and adored?? Will someone tell HIDDY?

Now back to track - is this going to be a day to bury bad news? I wonder if the BBC got this from here?
Old Mar 10, 08, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
Am I missing something? BA pilots are possibly going to strike over the positions of pilots, who have not yet been hired, who work for another airline, based in another country? Surely this is secondary strike action.
Jumbodriver or Panic Stations will correct me if I am wrong, but the bone of contention, as I understand it, is that pilots in OpenSkies will be employed by BA. They will be BA pilots. They can be transferred to mainline on the same contract. Through that route, therefore, BA could water down the contracts of the BA pilots simply by traffiking them through OpenSkies. I understand that something similar happened in the US, so there is a real precedent for this little wheeze and BALPA want to stop it before it starts. Who can blame them?
Old Mar 10, 08, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
BALPA want to stop it before it starts. Who can blame them?
But if there has to be a strike, wouldn't the time to do it be when BA actually implemented this? At the moment it is a hypothetical situation they are planning to strike about, isn't it?
Old Mar 10, 08, 7:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by RoseFPS View Post
But if there has to be a strike, wouldn't the time to do it be when BA actually implemented this? At the moment it is a hypothetical situation they are planning to strike about, isn't it?
Good point! If it's OK for the pilots to take action over something that may never happen, surely it's OK for passengers to do likewise (i.e. make their own contingency plans on the basis of a possible strike).

If the pilots were to - "take one step back" and "wait for the facts" (to quote from earlier posts) perhaps the parties in dispute might not be in the present mess and public support for a strike based on actual events, rather than possibilities, might be greater. Or am I missing something fundamental to the argument?
Old Mar 10, 08, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
by the time it's implemented, isn't that a little bit too late to actually stop it?
Old Mar 10, 08, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel View Post
by the time it's implemented, isn't that a little bit too late to actually stop it?
Exactly. Any implementation needs discussion and approval by affected parties. Or someone will be very unhappy
Old Mar 10, 08, 9:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
Exactly. Any implementation needs discussion and approval by affected parties. Or someone will be very unhappy
Well how about when BA have actually announced that they PLAN to do this? At the moment I think they are saying they do not plan to, aren't they?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: