Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pilots strike talks break down. [2008 thread]

Pilots strike talks break down. [2008 thread]

Old Mar 28, 08, 10:57 am
NoY

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, EY Gold, QR, CX, SQ
Originally Posted by Tupelo View Post
"Legal process is not expected to be completed until early June. BALPA will then do a re-ballot (almost certainly a higher yes vote). Probably looking at July for strike action realistically."

Interesting. Speaking as a customer, usually J, who flies for both leisure and business purposes (my company's European HQ is in London) - and who has a family vacation planned for early August in J for which I've shelled out $20K and many EC miles - and who has watched with interest the difficulties of the past couple of days at T5 - I have a question: Is the whole of BA, its management, unions, contractors, etc., totally commited to the destruction of the very organization that provides for their livelihoods?
It really would be sooooo easy to belive so, wouldn't it What a shambles I have actively diverted every last £ of business away from BA for the forseeable future and I really didn't want to - but frankly, I just can't take the uncertainty of travelling BA in the forseeable future...
Old Mar 28, 08, 10:58 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN View Post
Am I missing something? BA pilots are possibly going to strike over the positions of pilots, who have not yet been hired, who work for another airline, based in another country? Surely this is secondary strike action. It's a bit like Comair pilots going on strike for BA pilots. I don't profess to know all of the complexities, but it seems to me that the reasons stipulated for the strike are an excuse to have a pop at the crap BA management. I just wish that someone would fire Willie Walsh and get someone who actually knows how to run a full service airline. I don't generally agree with strike action, especially where it seems to be for people who haven't been employed yet, (a new airline competing on a new route should surely pay less -the pilots are working for a different company -just as people who work for Holiday Inn Express in Bucharest are likely to be on different salaries to those who work for the IC on Park lane).

I just hope that the beligerant unions feel proud when there is no airline left to strike over. Equally, I hope that management pull their act together and engage properly in negotiations.

To be selfishly honest, I hope they get the injunction. I also hope that BA pilots and crew realise that the passengers know that it's BA management at fault, but I dare say O'leary isn't easy to work for, and his crew seem to work.

As a passenger, I may be forced to go on my own strike very soon if this inevitable yearly disruption doesn't stop.

Hopefully, for everyone's benefit, this strike won't go ahead -BA doesn't need this negative publicity.
Not really. Do you remember the throw down between United and ALPA over the B-Scale in the mid-1980's that resulted in the strike of 1985 (and other issues like getting rid of flight engineers)? That's roughly the same issue tha tis facing BA and BALPA.
Old Mar 28, 08, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Seconded. Capt Mahout's comments are very valuable in trying to follow this saga.
Old Mar 28, 08, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA Platinum, Amex Platinum, SPG Amex
Jenbel, I'm not sure what you're considering "abuse", but my comment/question certainly was not. I agree that Jumbodriver's updates on this topic are a service to everyone, and I intended no disrepect to him personally. My question was intentionally directed, rhetorically really, to the entire organization, as was clear from my post.
Old Mar 28, 08, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

To be perfectly honest i'm kind of in agreement with Tupelo. As a group i think its fair to say we absolutely despair of the way this airline is being run. The terminal 5 debacle is a case in point. It is evident that the current management team are incompetent in the extreme. I suspect noone had the guts to pass up the line to WW what was going to happen yesterday. (May 1st is another day to avoid by the way thats when the flight and cabin crew start reporting to T5). We have stood by and watched 350m+ being blown on fines, the operation get so under resourced (to prepare for T5 apparantly) that I last pushed on time from Heathrow in June of last year. We even have a Director of Operations who is incapable of facing the press. Now they want to set up a premium long haul subsidiary with outsourced pilots. No way, not happening.
Old May 23, 08, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
So the threatened strike action is off as a result of potential costs of appeal and EU court action (very summarised).

See here.

Pilots still not happy with BA Management though - seems to be a fairly universal opinion amongst those not directly in management.

BALPA intends to
Originally Posted by BALPA
embark on an EU-wide campaign to clarify the purpose of Article 43, to ensure it could not be used to undermine workers’ right to strike.
Old May 23, 08, 5:12 am

Programs: BA (Gold), UA, Virgin FC Silver, Microsoft Word, blah blah
Originally Posted by jakesterUK View Post
So the threatened strike action is off as a result of potential costs of appeal and EU court action (very summarised).

Pilots still not happy with BA Management though - seems to be a fairly universal opinion amongst those not directly in management.
I guess there's an element of realpolitik in here - BA pilots may well hate the way the airline is being managed, but it would be an unbelievable blunder to bring the airline's operations to a halt over the summer - really could be the death knell for BA in the current anxious climate. Better to have a job and a company than not to have one...but I can understand how staff must be feeling sandwiched/kebabbed between long term anxiety about terms and conditions/job security and short term expediency.
Old Feb 4, 10, 8:50 am

I'd nearly forgot about and didn't thank Jumbodriver at the time, thanks for keeping everyone up to date on this IA issue. Interesting reading
Old Feb 4, 10, 9:00 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Please - this is my opinion and I am wholly unsupportive of the action for reasons that are best not discussed here. However no matter how fair minded I try to be, I always side with the people who oprovide the wherewithall for my wages. Forgive I'm just so old fashioned that way!
Would be interesting to hear an update on this too. Although I fully understand why she will not provide one
Old Feb 4, 10, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
Would be interesting to hear an update on this too. Although I fully understand why she will not provide one
I don't think Pucci has offered any kind of definitive opinion on the current dispute.
Old Feb 4, 10, 10:20 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by hammythehammer View Post
I don't think Pucci has offered any kind of definitive opinion on the current dispute.
Exactly, like I posted on the other thread, it would be nice if they felt they were able, like Jumbo Driver has here, to post their view on things without fear of the backlash that was received by the one CC member (a new subscriber) who dared to post their point of view on the other post.

All we are getting (on here at least) is a very one sided view
Old Feb 4, 10, 1:20 pm

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Exclamation OT: Holy Thread Resurrection...

I don't understand why a thread that has been idle since 23rd May 08 is brought into the action again.
Old Feb 4, 10, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, CAMRA
Originally posted by BugAlugs

I don't understand why a thread that has been idle since 23rd May 08 is brought into the action again.
'Tis good to remind everyone that history matters!

It also helps the moderators because they don't need to go scratching around in the past to avoid duplication.

Last edited by ginger50; Feb 4, 10 at 2:28 pm Reason: I forgot to mention
Old Feb 4, 10, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by BugAlugs View Post
Well, it made for some interesting comparative reading at least. It seems the merit of both strikes is reasonably similar and I am somewhat surprised there is not more understanding on behalf of the pilots regarding the fear of newfleet amongst the cc.

The execution and tone of voice has no similarities at all, as far as I can tell.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: