Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New LCY - JFK service with A318 - starts 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New LCY - JFK service with A318 - starts 2009

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
So that means you have to get off the plane at SNN? 40 minutes would be pushing it - what if there were big queues at the Immigration counters at SNN?
This would be a special US immigration desk for departing flights; not an Irish immirgataion desk for arriving flights. No immigration for flights between the UK and Ireland.

SNN would make real sense.

Yes - pax can be on board while the planes refuel in the UK. You normally get the announcement, please do not fasten your seat belt as the plane is refueling. However, cannot do immigration on board as it is not private/confidential enough if pax stay in their seat next to another pax.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I think it could still make sense, and I agree that there may not be a huge need for hold luggage, but it is a logistics issue that would need to be thought through. I guess I'm not worried about the amount of luggage, as much as I am about what is the fixed time to load and unload any amount of luggage.

My guess is it wouldn't satisfy the customs inspection requirements. It is unclear if they could do just an immigration check in SNN and then customs in New York, but I would think that everyone would prefer to do it all in one shot, whether in SNN or NYC.
Could they not get the immigration folks to come to the plane for immigration purposes? This would not be possible for customs, who need physical access to the luggage. In addition any in flight duty free sales, or redistribution of items between PAX would not be checked if customs were cleared at SNN. I haven't been to the US for a while (although this new service may tempt me if it included immigration pre-clearance) but Immigration and Customs were always seperate actions IIRC, so they are hardly carried out "in one shot" now.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BOH

Are you sure SNN does not have enough runway

"The airport has the longest runway in Ireland, and was used as a training airfield for Concorde. The airport continues to be used regularly for training purposes by several airlines, and is listed as an emergency landing site for the NASA Space Shuttle"
I meant LCY - please excuse my bad grammar and don't tell HIDDY about my lapse!!
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: BA
So I wonder why it is possible for the US customs/immigration preclearance facility to be at Shannon and Dublin.

Why not at London City before they start ?

Why not at T5 ?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by WHBM
So I wonder why it is possible for the US customs/immigration preclearance facility to be at Shannon and Dublin.

Why not at T5 ?
Because Ireland has a special agreement with US. Regarding T5, BAA wouldn't dream of letting you clear US Customs and Immigration in the UK as you would have less time to shop then.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:39 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM

Why not at T5 ?
Not much point checking in at LCY and then going all the way to LHR T5 for customs/immigration and back again is there? Might just as well go to LHR in the first place...............
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:39 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
......................... :d:d:d:d
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
If they can figure someway of pre-clearing all the passengers at SNN whilst they are on the aircraft, this sounds like a stroke of genius.

The banks in Docklands are going to love this.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NotGoingBackToSteerage
Guessing there would be only 1 flight a day on a Saturday to allow for servicing etc.

Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

NGBTS.
BA will be able to use these planes for charters on weekends and during vacation periods, so they will probably be able to add aircraft based on charter demand to soak up capacity unused by scheduled operations.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I haven't been to the US for a while (although this new service may tempt me if it included immigration pre-clearance) but Immigration and Customs were always seperate actions IIRC, so they are hardly carried out "in one shot" now.
Sure, immigration and customs are separate actions, but the issue is that one may not realize significant time savings if you split them. Right now, some of the time for the bags to arrive is eaten up by immigration. As a US citizen, my experience may not exactly mirror that of an EU citizen, but not once has my baggage been waiting for me by the time I had cleared immigration. So, currently, my wait time is governed by my luggage. If you add a stop in SNN, then my total delay is now wait time for luggage + wait time for immigration clearance. It isn't a net win for many passengers.

And it isn't a net win for BA, as they spend longer on the ground than is needed for refueling.

And it likely isn't a net win for the US Customs and Immigration because it is isn't clear that the facilities will be set up for passengers who will not be clearing customs. For example, when you enter the US, you enter one single secured area.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by NotGoingBackToSteerage

Guessing there would be only 1 flight a day on a Saturday to allow for servicing etc.
AFAIK, LCY is closed for 24 hours between noon on Saturday and noon on Sunday which means no arrivals at all on Sunday (unless they leave after midnight on Saturday night...loads would be low on that one!). You might be able to get one departure Sat morning, plane overnighting in NYC and returning to LCY for Monday morning?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Amex Bonvoy, Chase BA
Originally Posted by pbarnette
And it likely isn't a net win for the US Customs and Immigration because it is isn't clear that the facilities will be set up for passengers who will not be clearing customs. For example, when you enter the US, you enter one single secured area.
It isn't a new situation for CBP though as they have been using this method ex Ireland for at least the past 20 years.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:29 am
Suspended

I would expect very few checked bags - probably rollers and carry on suit bags
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:54 am

Not sure about the idea of immigration at SNN (or any other airport en-route) - what happens when the CBP agent doesn't like the look of someone and wants to question them further? You could either off-load their bags (whether they were in the cabin or the hold) and abandon them to a later flight, or hold everyone else up while the clearance took place. Neither option looks practical.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
Not sure whether this is truly attractive in terms of time saving. Don't forget that an A318 doesn't fly very fast. Compared to a 747, it pracically flies backwards. So add slower crossing time to the stopover time.

For US nationals and greencard holders flying in F or J, the immigration wait at JFK is usually minimal (it's been a long time since I've had more than a 2 minute wait, and I fly this route extremely often). Thus, pre-clearance at SNN or wherever doesn't buy anything for US nationals and greencard holders. Biggest "saving" seems to less UK airport hassle.

Last edited by NYLON Boy; Feb 1, 2008 at 9:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.