Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New LCY - JFK service with A318 - starts 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New LCY - JFK service with A318 - starts 2009

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2009, 2:19 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Just tried booking on this service and got the following message:

Stopover at Shannon

* The London City to New York (JFK) flight will stop to refuel at Ireland's Shannon airport.
* Passengers must clear U.S. Customs and Immigration at Shannon.*
* This is expected to take 45 minutes.
* On arrival at JFK airport, passengers will bypass passport control.*
* The New York (JFK) to London City flight is non-stop.

* US Immigration and Customs clearance at Shannon may not always be available due to regulatory requirements.

So one of the major benefits of flying the A318 is not even guaranteed! Although "bypass passport control" seems to say that no checks are done at all at JFK...

As for the comments on not being able to have breakfast, there is a take-away breakfast option, so assume it means a little bag and some juice.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:07 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
When shall OnAir be on board?
From the very first flight on 29Sep. However, connectivity will be limited in some way until 01Nov.
(See http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb)
Perhaps this means it will not be available at some points across the Atlantic?

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I was under the impression the seats would be the old Club World flat beds, but from an e-mail I received today it looks as if they are completely new (for BA, anyway).
Yes, the seats are not the normal yin-yang configuration of CW on BA's widebody fleet. All seats on Club World London City are foward facing - I have also read that they feel wider than normal CW - I don't know if this is true or not.

Maybe BA didn't install NGCW because of weight issues on the A318 or perhaps they had more room to play with and wanted to create a kind of CW Plus? Maybe they decided to make the seats wider instead of the aisle? I'd quite like to know myself.

Originally Posted by globalste
Just tried booking on this service and got the following message: ...US Immigration and Customs clearance at Shannon may not always be available due to regulatory requirements.

So one of the major benefits of flying the A318 is not even guaranteed! Although "bypass passport control" seems to say that no checks are done at all at JFK...
The disclaimer is to cover the chance that USCIS in SNN is not available for whatever reason. If so, the flight would just refuel in SNN and fly onto JFK and arrive as an international flight - customers would clear Customs and Immigration in JFK. If clearance is available in SNN, then the flight arrives into JFK as if it were a domestic one - and no checks are needed at JFK.

---

I have read an internal trip report from the test flight and the employees who got to try it out seemed very impressed. I'm almost seriously considering buying BA miles with the current 25% bonus and giving it a go for the novelty value - I flew on BA001 back in 2002 - maybe I can now get on BA002.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Freshen up on arrival @ LCY

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
It's the post-flight services I am concerned with, however. If you are to get the benefit of landing right in the middle of the city, then you need a shower facility before walking into your client's office smelling like you just woke up!
BA are now proposing the use of the Marriot Hotel, Canary Wharf as an arrivals facility. FREE access to the gym/showers & discounted breakfast. You will also be given an Oyster card to use on the DLR
Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:34 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by babats
BA are now proposing the use of the Marriot Hotel, Canary Wharf as an arrivals facility. FREE access to the gym/showers & discounted breakfast. You will also be given an Oyster card to use on the DLR
sounds a much better idea than the paper bag with a butty in it...
Old Sep 25, 2009, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC
OnAir availability

Originally Posted by JAXBA

From the very first flight on 29Sep. However, connectivity will be limited in some way until 01Nov.
(See http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb)
Perhaps this means it will not be available at some points across the Atlantic?

OnAir have this week announced an agreement to use on-board connectivity in Canadian airspace with immediate effect. The aircraft is being fitted with new OnAir software as we speak so a much longer availability period should be in place for the first flight on Tuesday. However there's still a problem for Americans as none of the US mobile providers have agreed anything with OnAir.

I have read an internal trip report from the test flight and the employees who got to try it out seemed very impressed. I'm almost seriously considering buying BA miles with the current 25% bonus and giving it a go for the novelty value - I flew on BA001 back in 2002 - maybe I can now get on BA002.
Funny, that's a different trip report to the one I've been made aware of. I agree the majority were impressed with the flight, but the airport experience at SNN left a lot to be desired, although the turnround/pre-clearance process ran smoothly.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 6:06 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by babats
......I agree the majority were impressed with the flight, but the airport experience at SNN left a lot to be desired.......
Airside at SNN is not particularly.......... what you might call....... Luxurious or Plush

Last edited by kered; Sep 25, 2009 at 6:21 am
Old Sep 25, 2009, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salut0
But there's WiFi on board and the immigration and customs gets done in SNN. That, I think, is more of a perceived benefit than anything else, but if people like the sound of it, should sell tickets. And they *do* seem to like the sound of it...
Those are two very compelling benefits, along with the ease of LCY and being on a small plane with few people. I think it is a great idea.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 8:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
And overlook the Travelodge or Etap hotels in Silvertown?...!...
Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:37 am

Since they will be doing an upgraded type of catering on these sectors, has anyone seen the menus yet? I'll be very interested to see what they've come up with to entice the pallate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.