Wiki Posts
Search

WT+ What a rip-off

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by botham
Thank you!

I read through that complete thread, twice this weekend, but still missed the relevant bit. I'll try again.

1) Log in to ba.com.

2) Look in the Executive Club section for "Spending BA miles" on the left hand side

3) Find "upgrade a new booking using BA miles" in the middle of the screen
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by botham
Perhaps you could simply make the recommendation, without the sarcastic retort?
There was nothing sarcastic in my post - the recommendation as you put it was exactly what I said - to check out the guide which is very comprehensive! Simple as that.

I think everyone here is perfectly tolerant when people want to seek clarification on something if they've done the basic groundwork of a search and made some efforts to do research themselves. But when there's a thread entitled "READ THIS FIRST" prominently at the top of the front page, it's the height of laziness on the part of many people who post here not to even look there for answers to their easy/common questions. Or even think before posting “this sounds simple” or “these guys are discussing this like it’s an every day term, it must be simple and covered somewhere, perhaps I should take a look around before asking outright”. I personally find that approach far more offensive than a perceived lack of 'tolerance'. I know many do/will disagree with me and we’ve had this argument many times before, I know, I know

Note I am not saying you personally display this trait - as you note in your next post you did read it over the weekend which is great. If you can highlight the bit which is unclear then I think most people would only be too happy to expand on it or explain it better...and that has the added side-effect of highlighting a part of the FAQs/guide which may need improvement for the benefit of everyone in future ^

None of this is meant to be unfriendly. But it does get very wearing when people (again, in general) sometimes expect everything handed to them on a plate…and when it is indeed there on the plate, they ignore it and ask what’s on the menu! That applies IMHO whatever board/site/meeting/job/circumstance you care to mention.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Point taken and accepted.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I think that for WT+ to be good, you have to be the right size.... I am average height, average weight and my god those recaro seats are comfortable. Not sure how you could even come close to comparing them to WT ??? The extra recline makes sleeping much easier.

Still, not a patch on the new QF seats with 42 inches of legroom ...
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ozzie
Still, not a patch on the new QF seats with 42 inches of legroom ...
Did anyone mention BMI with 49" pitch.... And 6 accross on an A330.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
I wonder whether BA will respond to this increase in competition from other PE newbies.- especially seeing as they are saying that OpenSkies WT+ will be 50+ in pitch......

I was thinking if they took out one row of seats in each WT+ cabin - so on the whole 5 rows down to 4 - that would give them (just for the sake of my maths), say an extra 9 in per row - so they could get up to 47in using the current seats. Re-upholster the seats in Blue leather - tip the food onto a proper plate and that would bring it up to Virginish standards - but obviously for 8 less seats overall.

((I know my figures are probably wonky - but you get the general idea...))
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
I wonder whether BA will respond to this increase in competition from other PE newbies.- especially seeing as they are saying that OpenSkies WT+ will be 50+ in pitch......

Is there an easy way to find out who offers PE?

So far I know of:

BA, Virgin Atlantic, British Midland, SAS
Japan - being introduced Japan <-> Europe
Singapore - already on 340-500's but not the A380?
Quantas - being introduced with the A380
United - legroom only E+
Continental - have publicly said they're looking at it

Are there others?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: BA, QR, OW loyal.
Originally Posted by bernardd

So far I know of:

BA, Virgin Atlantic, British Midland, SAS
Japan - being introduced Japan <-> Europe
Singapore - already on 340-500's but not the A380?
United - legroom only E+
Continental - have publicly said they're looking at it

Are there others?
EVA - Taiwan

Elite (777) & Evergreen DeLuxe (747)

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/engli...luxe_class.htm

Pretty good according to a colleague that used it on a 747 back end of 2007.

BTW, Qantas ^
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex BA Premium Plus
I was thinking if they took out one row of seats in each WT+ cabin - so on the whole 5 rows down to 4 - that would give them (just for the sake of my maths), say an extra 9 in per row - so they could get up to 47in using the current seats. Re-upholster the seats in Blue leather - tip the food onto a proper plate and that would bring it up to Virginish standards - but obviously for 8 less seats overall.
I don't think they need to do that. It would put the product much closer to J than Y, and let's not forget this is premium "economy", not cheap "business". And it probably will make the price higher, since it's less seats.
To me, the way to improve it would be dedicated check-in, and maybe a better service on-board, (i.e. real-cuttlery), maybe more drinks but not a different food than in Y. To me that would really mean very good value.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doubtful. NOt enough direct substantial competition to have an impact. Ask Smirnoff about the impact of BD's superior J product to MOW on BA...
Only VS really provides a modicum of significant competition to BA for PE/WT+.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe it's also true for Business Class and I don't get it either. I assumed it was all down to that old God - competition. Cheap flights from, say, Italy to the US are to attract Italians to use BA with a change in LON rather than a direct flight. Fair enough, but why wouldn't any rational American flying to Italy need to be enticed to take an indirect flight? Beats me. But then the whole airline pricing system seems messed up and illogical so why should we be surprised by this quirk?
I guess that BA does not see competition in the US and in Europe in the same way. Ex-EUR, they probably see it as attempting to get market share from either the local carrier of LH and AF, which are BA's main competitors. Ex-US, they probably don't see themselves as having much hope of getting a substantial market share from US carriers at the lower end of the market and rely instead primarily on inflight experience to differentiate themselves and get a portion of the less price-sensitive market.
BAEC regional differentiations between UK/IRL, EUR, and US would seem to tally with that.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.

((I know my figures are probably wonky - but you get the general idea...))
The seats would need a lot more than being re-upholstered. They would need to be made to recline significantly more, the side head rests would need to be modified such that they don't fold back over when you rest your head on them and the seat shape would need to be modifie such that the window seat actually lets rest your head on the wall/window. Sounds like a completely new seat to me! Then and only then would BA have a WTP product that could be sensibly compared to VS new PE.

Baps.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by ozzie
I think that for WT+ to be good, you have to be the right size.... I am average height, average weight and my god those recaro seats are comfortable. Not sure how you could even come close to comparing them to WT ??? The extra recline makes sleeping much easier.
I am average height, averagely overweight and they are the most uncomfortable and hard seats to sleep in I have found, so I guess size must be the answer, I do sleep scrunched up and there is always some part of the side walls digging into my knees or back, those wraparound head cushions just go flat as I wriggle about, overnight TATL is a nightmare watching my husband sleep and me shuffling to get comfortable,
wonder how much weight I would have to lose to make the seats comfortable???
Old Jan 22, 2008, 3:09 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum

Are there others?
Actually, it's being introduced on their 747s over the next couple of months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.