Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR-DEL (and back)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
LHR-DEL (and back)

Hi, this is my first post here so sorry if it's in the wrong place or anything like that!

I'm going LHR-DEL on a Saturday and coming back DEL-LHR on a Thursday, has anyone here done that journey and if so which flights work out at the best times coming back? They both seem to be pretty bad! Both directions are in Club World.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Well done the crew of BA38, I've flown that route before, staff always excellent (plane always empty)
Old Jan 17, 2008, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Night flights both way are easiest for managing jet lag . The airport can be challenging (especially if not familiar with India). There is post somewhere by me that sets out the 25 stage plan for negotiating DEL on departure where most of the fun is.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
goodison:

Firstly welcome to FT.

We've got a big discussion thread on DEL.

I was there about six weeks ago. You might want to have a look at this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...67#post8802667

Personally I hate overnight flights. I opted for the daylight ones. I prefer a few extra hours kip in a real bed over any airplane flat one.

Have a read through and it should cover most bases.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, AS Gold 75k, IHG Aspire, Marriott Titanium , National Exec Elite, Amex Plat
Thanks both, sounds like Delhi will be "fun"!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Personally I hate overnight flights. I opted for the daylight ones. I prefer a few extra hours kip in a real bed over any airplane flat one. .
Well, of course I prefer a real bed to a flat one too. However, the day flight out from LHR is a bit of a killer for getting to sleep on arrival. Going to bed at 2:30 and then waiting 2 hours before my body decides it's bed time is irritating when you have to be up at 8. With the night flight I can get 6-7 hours sleep, have a productive afternoon and evening and then sleep well.

Coming back, 10 hours during the day is just so very boring, as it trying to stay awake when you get home. While IGIA isn't fun at 2am, at least you can get on and crash out.

Still, horses for courses.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:27 am

My first post on here too, couldnt resist adding one more tip to the other excellent posts having done this particular journey a couple of times this year.. And that is, buy any alcohol you might want to consume during your trip/bring back home, as you arrive into IGIA. Prices are pretty competitive, about $40 for a litre of Grey Goose vodka for example. You'll not be allowed to buy any spirits in the duty free on your way out although cigs and perfume are OK.

Enjoy your trip, keep your wits about you at the airport and you'll be fine!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Well welcome to FT lestat132!

Isn't the restriction because duty free is before security (IIRC)? That said, I couldn't be bothered last time.

Suppose two 4am starts do that to you.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by goodison
I'm going LHR-DEL on a Saturday and coming back DEL-LHR on a Thursday, has anyone here done that journey and if so which flights work out at the best times coming back? They both seem to be pretty bad! Both directions are in Club World.
Not great times but I'd go for the two night flights but as Swanhunter says it's "horses for courses".

Welcome to FT, goodison! Will you be changing your handle to "Tesco" when you move to Kirby?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:45 am

Thanks for the welcome LHR Tim - Think it's more to do with bringing liquids from certain countries into the UK specifically - never had any issues when flying with FinnAir or JAL for instance. I just paid in the shop and collected the goodies at the gate with my receipt. But the minute the shop assistants see you have a BA boarding pass they warn you about not being able to purchase alcohol.

Last edited by lestat132; Jan 18, 2008 at 9:50 am Reason: wanted to thank Tim for the welcome ;)
Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, Starwood, Hilton Honors, Points.com
Hi, this is my first post here so sorry if it's in the wrong place or anything like that!

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Well done the crew of BA38, I've flown that route before, staff always excellent (plane always empty)
My husband and I are doing this same trip on BA 2/15 and then returning from DEL on 3/3 (First Class). Because of our U.S. connections, we'll have to fly out from LHR during the day (BA 143, 11:40 a.m. departure) and then return at night from DEL (BA 142, 3:25 a.m. departure). Am less than thrilled about that 3:25 a.m. departure but it couldn't be helped.

Would be curious to know what your experiences end up being like on both legs ...
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Yes, thank you for that oiRRio. I'll be happy to change it to anything you like when our new stadium catapults us to doestic and european greatness and all my questions on here are about flights to Madrid, Barcelona and Milan.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted ncdecolover. I'm out 9th of Feb back 14th doing the same flight times as you. Can't be worse than the experience my friend had with Air India recently, 48 hour delay out of Mumbai!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 4:37 am

Hahaha, just try to enjoy the experience, smells, sights and sounds.

It tends to take longer to leave India than it does to arrive, the queues to leave are crazy, so take a chill pill first if you are easily wound up.

One tip, once you come through passport control and queue for the scanners, go to the other end, they tend to have signs pointing to one place and not the other end and those queues can be shorter.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Hi all, a quick update on DEL. It appears that the airport is going through a refit. Queues were as predicted, bad on the way in, worse on the way out. The BA porters are great but can't help you skip the queues unfortunately.

Club seems to get you access to the Oberoi lounge now as I think the other is being worked on. It's a fairly average lounge. Our flight was delayed by about 45 mins on the way in waiting for a gate and an hour on the way out, just what you want at 3am! Having said that I think I was asleep before we took off.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, Starwood, Hilton Honors, Points.com
Hi all, a quick update on DEL. It appears that the airport is going through a refit. Queues were as predicted, bad on the way in, worse on the way out. The BA porters are great but can't help you skip the queues unfortunately.

Club seems to get you access to the Oberoi lounge now as I think the other is being worked on. It's a fairly average lounge. Our flight was delayed by about 45 mins on the way in waiting for a gate and an hour on the way out, just what you want at 3am! Having said that I think I was asleep before we took off.
Lord! I sincerely hope the queu you ended up in at the DEL airport wasn't as bad as the one we hit Sunday (?) night. Despite being in F, we waited in the passport queu, in the heat (inadequate a/c for the # of people in the airport), for like 2.5 hours. It was just brutal. I might mention that this Chinese water torture occurred after we had to practically fight our way into the airport as both open entrances were jammed with like 150 people massed around each one.

We'd love to return to India but until that DEL airport completes the renovations it's currently undergoing, I think we might try to go through BOM instead.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

It was about that, definitely over 2 hours but it was cold when I was there (not due to the a/c!

Arrivals at DEL does prepare you for what it's going to be like on the way out, that was a bigger shock! From the upper deck to a packed arrivals hall and huge passport control queue. All this next to a big advert for "Incredible India" - that's one way of putting it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.