Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by alanh
Birds will leave chopped up poultry in the engines.
To inject some much needed humour into this - all the armchair pontificating will be rendered redundant tomorrow morning as ex LHR flights feature Chicken Stew as the one and only option. Related to I guess, but an improvement upon, the birdseed!

On the topic of which, I think I'll make that (the stew rather than the birdseed) for dinner. Living away from LHR, it's off to the shops I go!
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:14 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by IAMORGAN

The pilots, it seems to be already a given, did a sterling job in crashing the plane at Heathrow as opposed to at Hatton Cross, maybe this was a bit of luck in a perverse kind of way -who knows at this stage.

For me, what this incident confirms is that the Cabin Service Teams make BA stand out from the crowd; I think that the actions of Sharron Eaton-Merser and her team, in particular, her checking on the flight deck crew after safely evacuating the pax really is a fitting testiment to the quality of the vast majority of BA's crew.

I don't think enough has been said about the passengers in this; they also seemed to act responsibly and luckily didn't seem to panic, which is crucial in any emergency whether it's on a plane or in an earthquake.

Finally, am I put off flying BA? I'd love to say no, but something inside me questions why the incident happened; was it a maintenace oversight? Is there a problem with the software on certain 777s? I will, I'm sure, feel better when AAIB release their full report. Whilst I am normally critical of BAA, the speed of the emergency response seemed pretty quick to me, and the airport didn't resemble as much chaos as I thought it would.

I hope that all involved manage to move on from what must be a traumatic incident and that whatever lessons, if any, need to be learned from the incident, are learnt.
Great Points with respect to the skill of the pilot, BAA's emergency response, and the unbelievable performance of Sharron Eaton-Merser who when all and every one of her personal instincts would be of self-preservation and to get out quickly put others safety before her own. Am I going to be the only one that admits to a lump in the throat and a bit of sand in the corner of my eye when I heard this account? It was very moving.

With respect to being put off of BA, I understand your view entirely and to a very small extent of course share it until the results are known, but I guess I conclude that unless we choose to give up air-travel completely in all airlines then there is always going to be a small risk of human error. But I think that the BA response to this proves that whatever turns out to be the cause - even if it were (I'm not, not, NOT NOT speculating) a mommentrary and unusual fault somewhere within BA that overall I'd still prefer to be in their hands when I fly than anyone elses.

I really hope that there is some special recognition of Sharron Eaton-Merser from both within BA and generally. Arguably the "up front" team did a wonderful job and were very skilful, but had to make no choices between their own safety and those of others and whilst skilful it wasn't heroic. But Sharron Eaton-Merser was heroic in the very truest sense of the word.

Last edited by uk1; Jan 20, 2008 at 1:21 am
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spotwelder's fame has spread - he was quoted in the Mumbai Mirror yesterday . Via an AP report I suspect...
Old Jan 20, 2008, 1:45 am
Suspended

This was originally posted in another thread but I thought it was more appropriate in this one.

I've been wanting to say this for some time but feared I would be shot down in flames or banned, or possiby both, what with all the back patting going on.

I've read people in this thread talking about being "proud to be British", BA having the "best pilots in the world" etc. etc.

For the same reasons a large proportion of the general public have an irrational fear of flying (i.e. lack of knowledge of aircraft and flying), they have an over glorified sense of achievement when an aircraft crashes and people survive. How many times have we heard that when a plane has crashed somewhere "the pilot was a hero because he steered the aircraft away from a school or houses at the last minute"? This always makes me laugh. You can rest assured that the reason the pilot is trying to avoid houses and schools is because he wants to maximise his own chances of survival.

It is human nature to look for reassurance that when things go wrong, there are "superhumans" or "hero's" sitting at the controls, so that when they next set foot on a plane they feel that little bit safer.

At the end of the day, the pilots were to a large extent passengers as well. At that height, and with that warning, and with apparently no power, there is only one way the aircraft is going and that's down. All they can do is to try and extend the glide for as long as possible until the laws of gravity take over. And that is flying basics number one, and is the same principle in whatever aircraft you are in.

I think if you were to speak to the Captain and First Officer they would be extremely embarrassed to receive all this attention and being hailed as heros, because they know full well that any pilot would have followed exactly the same procedure as they did.

NOW, if you want an example of REALLY heroic flying then this example will make interesting reading. It's the United DC-10 which crashed at Sioux City in July 1989. The pilots turned what was a virtually certain crash with the loss of everybody on-board into one which 185 people survived. In a documentary broadcast on the subject, it was reported that about 30 groups of United DC-10 pilots tried, in the simulator, many months afterwards to replicate the achievements of the original flight crew. Not a single one managed to even make the airport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Airlines_Flight_232
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:13 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Sunday.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:15 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Mofomat
I think if you were to speak to the Captain and First Officer they would be extremely embarrassed to receive all this attention and being hailed as heros, because they know full well that any pilot would have followed exactly the same procedure as they did.
Well the co-pilot (notwithsanding his heroics) seems to have sold his story to the Sunday Mirror. Classy, eh?

And according to a report yesterday, the wife of the pilot is negotiating with Max Clifford to sell her husbands story to a Sunday newspaper.

Extremely embarrassed?????? Or milking it for financial reward?

Last edited by BOH; Jan 20, 2008 at 2:28 am
Old Jan 20, 2008, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by uk1
Am I going to be the only one that admits to a lump in the throat and a bit of sand in the corner of my eye when I heard this account? It was very moving.
Well, if you're going to be the first, I'll be the second.

As to awards... Yes, there is an international award for "outstanding airmanship" and (I believe) there's also an award process within BA with the winner's (or winners') names engraved onto a plaque in Waterside.

It goes sans dire that we'll have to wait for the final AAIB report though.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOH
Well the co-pilot (notwithsanding his heroics) seems to have sold his story to the Sunday Mirror. Classy, eh?

And according to a report yesterday, the wife of the pilot is negotiating with Max Clifford to sell her husbands story to a Sunday newspaper.

Extremely embarrassed?????? Or milking it for financial reward?
Hmmm, not very classy no. Let's hope that the unresponding engines doesn't turn out to be caused by something the pilots did wrong, although this is extremely unlikely.

The thing is, very soon there will be other stories making the headlines. By the end of today, when the aircraft is out of sight, it will be pretty much forgotten by the public and news channels.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:47 am

Here's some British quality journalism at its very best

Last edited by Pyeinthesky; Jan 20, 2008 at 4:07 am
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:56 am
BOH

Originally Posted by Pyeinthesky
Here's some British quality journalism at it's very best
Hilarious, my favourite line from that article is:

"But when the girls smothered him in chocolate and licked it all off, Peter—then a 28-year-old First Officer—was left feeling rather joysticky...and needed to ditch in a bubble bath with the beauties".

Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:00 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Here's some British quality journalism at it's very best
Good grief. Doesn't take time for the pics to appear!
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Hilarious, my favourite line from that article is:

"But when the girls smothered him in chocolate and licked it all off, Peter—then a 28-year-old First Officer—was left feeling rather joysticky...and needed to ditch in a bubble bath with the beauties".

Joysticky? You havin' a yoke, he flies Boeings?!
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
There was me thinking BCal girls were polite, demure, refined and classy. Just goes to show you shouldn't believe all your read on FT. Now, is that a hairbrush I can spy in one of those pics
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:21 am
jhm

IMO, the flight crew have nothing to be ashamed about if they sell their stories to the papers. It's not as if they're profiting from their misconduct (and quite the contrary)!

Originally Posted by Mofomat
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7198598.stm

Senior First Officer John Coward told the Sunday Mirror he believed there was going to be a "catastrophic crash". [...]

I didn't think we'd clear the fence at first. As we landed I was bracing myself for an enormous thud. But instead of one thud, there was a series of thuds as it bounced along the grass."

He added: "Eventually it shuddered to a halt. While I was trying to stop the plane. I struggled to try and keep it in a straight line."

He said that after the crash "there was no sound at all. No sound from the engines, no sound from behind.

"I turned around and composed myself and heard a lot of commotion behind me. I realised that staff were trying to carry out the drills to evacuate all the passengers.

Mr Coward, who lives in France with his French wife and three children, said he had been left haunted by the incident and has been unable to sleep since Thursday. [...]

Mr Coward, who was credited by his captain, Peter Burkill, for averting a major crash, said he was humbled by people calling him a hero, but said: "I was only doing my job."

"The crew, the passengers, and everybody else acted heroically. Flying is definitely all about teamwork and that is what we all displayed," he added.
^
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:38 am
BOH

Joysticky? You havin' a yoke, he flies Boeings?!
Well I'm sure these partying revelations will fill quite a few column inches in the press in the next few days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.