Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: AEROPLAN
props to the pilot for bringing the 777 down safely.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=props
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
I was responding solely to how some of the survivors reported their own experience in the hours following their evacuation and remarking about their treatment.

Perhaps you should get your own facts right before making unfair assertions about what this quote referred to - and that was how the survivors were treated NOT the passengers in the terminals or lounges worrying about hw they would continue to travel.
Yes, what you have said seems to be the case from most reports I have read

Nearly every report from passengers on BA038 that I have read said the cabin and flight crew on the plane were amazing, as were the emergency services on the ground, but the service from BA ground staff was a disgrace.

BBC now reporting this too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7196128.stm

If this is how BA ground staff appear to have treated those passengers involved in the actual incident, I would hate to know what kind of service a regular passenger on another flight received.

A big thumbs up to the pilot and crew on BA038 but it yet again seems that the ground staff are the weak chain in BA's operations.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by TMC
I suspect that those pictures answer the question as to whether this aircraft will fly ever again once and for all.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr Dave
I suspect that those pictures answer the question as to whether this aircraft will fly ever again once and for all.
Nothing that won't polish out.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Urban Sun
If this is how BA ground staff appear to have treated those passengers involved in the actual incident, I would hate to know what kind of service a regular passenger on another flight received.
I wouldn't comment, but it is really hard not to imagine so, especially having been told:

Originally Posted by bealine
[The Ground Staff have worked tirelessly to help in every way they possibly can. Firstly, "crash" teams would have been mobilised to go to the aircraft and help the passengers - who have first priority, agreed?
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
As I said yesterday, there were only 3 people at the information desk when I looked at around 14:00, with around 200 people waiting to speak to them. The standard answer was the best thing to do is rebook on BA.com.

Not very helpful for most pax.

I found it very easy to rearrange my flights on the phone today, both times it was answered within 2 minutes.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:58 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Yet more comments surfacing about the treatment of the passengers once inside the terminal - I'd be amazed if the ground staff weren't following procedures prepared for just this event.

Immigration/security and medical checks took precedence; some may think this is wrong. As for giving accident victims refreshment - not until the medical staff have okayed this - this could have delayed any medical procedures (operations) and BA staff can not make these decisions.

Expectations were not met - but if they are unrealistic expectations ~ "I feel fine, my car is outside can I go?" then there will of course be disappointment.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 8:59 am

Just wanting to send our best regards to everyone involved yesterday. So very proud of the Crew, to pull those skills together and save all those people at the end of a shattering shift is something they should long be commended for. The unexpected nature and swift progression of an accident like this is something we all dread, heroes every one of them to be so calm and professional in such circumstances.

Love,

Liz & Julie x
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TMC
Yet more comments surfacing about the treatment of the passengers once inside the terminal - I'd be amazed if the ground staff weren't following procedures prepared for just this event.
That's been exactly my point from the beginning.

Those procedures seem really vile
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TMC
Our very own Spotwelder

Independent because no one can afford to retain him full time I presume?
I suspect if you work in that line of work, you need to 'pimp' yourself around.

Working for one employer could be rather limiting.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:06 am

Pilot about to give a statement. On BBC News 24 (4.0pm GMT)
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:15 am

Captain praised and thanked but he did praise the First Officer who was handling the approach

Last edited by Albion; Jan 18, 2008 at 9:18 am Reason: spelling and phrasing
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Albion
Pilot about to give a statement. On BBC News 24 (4.0pm GMT)
Nice to hear that the captain praised all of his crew in keeping a cool head and, especially, his senior 1st officer who actually had the controls at the time.

Sounded like the co-pilot's family name is Coward - guess that he proved himself to be extremely contrary to his family name!

Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Mofomat
Nothing that won't polish out.
Heh. That undercarriage poking through the wing ? We can buff that out.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by robertkg
Nice to hear that the captain praised all of his crew in keeping a cool head and, especially, his senior 1st officer who actually had the controls at the time.

Sounded like the co-pilot's family name is Coward - guess that he proved himself to be extremely contrary to his family name!

Now by tomorrow morning I'm sure the Captain will have been forgotten about and the SFO will be having his neighbours interviewed as to how good looking he is!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.