Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Gordon Brown along with a business delegation (featuring Richard Branson), are apparently onboard another aircraft (one would assume VS metal), waiting to take off for China, I believe?

I wonder what he is thinking.

BA Metal
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:33 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
What's the consequence of this being officially called an "emergency landing"? Does it mean a problem detected in the air, or does the term encompass any landing-gone-wrong?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can anyone tell if the 874 to DME took off before this happened, or is still on the ground there? baa site has nothing against the flight.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:35 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by BAAZ
Good to hear that everyone was safe.

Now that it seems to be clear that no-one has been seriously injured, does anyone know how long we can expect to wait until flights can restart from the other runway? What needs to be done before ops can restart? Presumably we won't have to wait until the written-off aircraft is removed?
I'm no spottie but absolutely we will. The craft is just across the threshold of 27L, actually a little off to the right, it was an emergency landing, gear collapse, a lot of investigation will have to take place.

Every fire engine currently covering the arriving craft, quite a gash in the left side of the craft at the wing, so no departing flight at the moment.

Predict major chaos. I'm cancelling tomorrow's trip.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by pauldb
What's the consequence of this being officially called an "emergency landing"? Does it mean a problem detected in the air, or does the term encompass any landing-gone-wrong?
I would have thought it would mean a Mayday or a Pan call on approach, which would mean they knew they had a problem. If it had just been a bad landing, they wouldn't call it an emergency landing.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
By how much does single-runway operation reduce LHR's capacity, compared with "normal" operation (which I always understood to be not full "mixed mode" 2-runway operation)? Whichever way, it doesn't sound much fun for anyone using LHR today...
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhilH
Apparently the northern runway is back in use.
I'd be surprised with all of those fire engines at the scene - would have thought they would need to be back on station for the airport to operate.

Nasty hole in the left wing....

...and on a lighter note I bet that was one of the 777 fleet with large TV screens.

Also, flying home on Friday night might be a challenge.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would it be safe to assume that long haul ops will be prioritised...and would that leave any runway capacity for short haul? I'm in BOM with a team of 9 due to fly home tomorrow night.

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
So it's clear from the news that they knew it was a landing gear problem in advance and the PAX were instructed to adopt brace positions.

Does anyone think that the aircraft would have intentionally been landed short as less chance of sparks and a softer impact if on grass than tarmac? I have no idea if this would be a good/bad/lunatic idea, but as I described it, it may have some merit.

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
Good luck with your day spottie .....

Yes, sounds to me like they knew of the problem as well. I can't think of a reason why the pilots of any modern plane wouldn't know whether their gear is locked or not.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:41 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Can anyone tell if the 874 to DME took off before this happened, or is still on the ground there? baa site has nothing against the flight.
BA website shows an estimated time of 12:49 so it looks like it did not go
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Air exclusion zone currently in force for LHR area.

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
according to the DME website - which is usually pretty accurate - it hasn't taken off yet.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
More great PR for BA!! Not like they need it.... predict daily hate will have a field day....

Looking at the pics, its landed a fair way short of the runway... wonder if they have cctv of it?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:43 am

Pretty sure the a/c landed short to hit the grass rather then the tarmac- hence saving the runway from damage, and closure for ages. Prob a safer place for the a/c .

Flights were stopped to wait for fire cover to arrive as all engines were dealing with this flight, once arrived, flights started again.

Well done to the crew for a safe landing considering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.