Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Upgrades in the Register of Members' Interests

Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold

With the increasing level of disclosure that now appears to be required by MP's of their interests, I was perusing the latest edition of the register and came across these rather bizarre entries by David Cameron and Menzies Campbell:

CAMERON, Rt Hon David (Witney)

5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK)
29 November 2007, I received a first class upgrade, as part of a promotional offer from British Airways, on a flight from Washington DC to London (paid for by the Conservative Party). (Registered 7 December 2007)
CAMPBELL, Rt. Hon. Sir Menzies (North East Fife)

5. Gifts, benefits and hospitality (UK)
15 February 2007, on the return flight from a visit to the USA made in my capacity as Chancellor of St Andrew's University, I received an upgrade from Business to First Class from British Airways. (Registered 28 February 2007)
http://www.publications.parliament.u...109/memi06.htm

The first sounds like the recent "upgrade one way to FIRST" deal that BA ran. The second sounds like an op-up.

Does anyone else think that either of the above should be entered on the Register of Members' Interests? I must say I find it very curious.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:01 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
From what I see, Cameron's upgrade need not have been disclosed (as it was part of the fare promo) but Campbell's should have been disclosed as it was an op-up.

Now the pertinent question is, why didn't the Tory party buy an I fare instead of the J2BA / other J fare they bought for Dave!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
Originally Posted by PhilH
With the increasing level of disclosure that now appears to be required by MP's of their interests, I was perusing the latest edition of the register and came across these rather bizarre entries by David Cameron and Menzies Campbell:

http://www.publications.parliament.u...109/memi06.htm

The first sounds like the recent "upgrade one way to FIRST" deal that BA ran. The second sounds like an op-up.

Does anyone else think that either of the above should be entered on the Register of Members' Interests? I must say I find it very curious.
I'm HOOKED!!! i swear i could spend all day reading this stuff, its hilarious!

I think it's ridiculous that they should enter such information regarding upgrades/promo as it has no monetary value in regards to taxpayers money. I think they just do it to show off!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Originally Posted by jonnye
I'm HOOKED!!! i swear i could spend all day reading this stuff, its hilarious!

I think it's ridiculous that they should enter such information regarding upgrades/promo as it has no monetary value in regards to taxpayers money. I think they just do it to show off!
hahahhaha

Can you imagine if one of the FT regulars had to do this much disclosure to their company?

The auditors would have a field day?

So Mr Smith, we notice you fly mostly out of Linate, yet you live half an hour's drive from Heathrow. Is there a particular reason for this?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by jonnye
It isn't just the monetary value that matters but the perception of influence. For many taxpayers/voters, "secret" upgrades may be perceived to influence the MP.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
hahahhaha

Can you imagine if one of the FT regulars had to do this much disclosure to their company?

The auditors would have a field day?

So Mr Smith, we notice you fly mostly out of Linate, yet you live half an hour's drive from Heathrow. Is there a particular reason for this?
Some of us do need to justify such travel "oddities" as one way fares, unusual origins, mixed airline itineraries, mixed booking classes, unusual choice of flights, unusual routing etc.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PhilH
I always thought anything you received or had done for you based on your political status, had to be registered. From their point of view, it is probably best to declare something if they are not sure, rather than risk it turning into a potential 'scandal'.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:44 pm

Location: Reading, Cambridge & Edinburgh, UK, Sunnyvale, CA and Philadelphia, PA
Programs: Top Gear
Ah, transparency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.