Search

£59 one way Club Europe upgrades ex-LGW

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by clubman
Not at all.
I've done the £59 upgrade on one ways.
I've also booked a one-way upgrade, as the return airport (Salzburg) doesn't have a lounge (I don't think) and booking the outward in CE offers a better baggage allowance.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:28 am

Gumbieben - welcome to FT!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:17 am

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Greg66

I need (ha ha) to do a TP run in the next 6-8 weeks, and a short hop to AMS or CDG upped to CE e/w for £118 would do the trick nicely.

However, I don't relish the prospect of booking el cheapo, non TP-earning flights and then finding that I can't ug them
I think the £59 OW upgrades are a bit pointless - BA.com offers upgrades sometimes for less than this at point of booking.

I've also been looking for an 80 point TP run, maybe by way of genuine Citybreak over a weekend (no scope to fly in office hours). CDG/AMS turnarounds come out reasonably cheap but other destinations only seem really discounted if you arrive at 22.00 on Saturday for the 06.00 Sunday return

Best I've found today is Dresden: widely available in Euro-Cattle for £98.50 with a £54 outbound/£64 inbound upgrade option. Equally easily books in Club Europe - I've just picked up a CE ticket for less than £205 after shareholder discount but including credit card surcharge, which seems fair value. Only one flight a day but very civilised hours.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:00 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by CCayley
I've just picked up a CE ticket for less than £205 after shareholder discount but including credit card surcharge, which seems fair value. Only one flight a day but very civilised hours.
Hmmm...maybe your if your billing address was London, Ukraine you wouldn't be paying the UK surcharge
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Hmmm...maybe your if your billing address was London, Ukraine you wouldn't be paying the UK surcharge
It's a slip of the finger away...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:59 pm

Programs: BA, PC, HH
Has anyone has this upgrade offered on LGW-GIB return?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 7:53 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Mr_Bigglesworth
Has anyone has this upgrade offered on LGW-GIB return?
In the past, no. In the future?

Remember LGW-GIB was the core GB Airways route (at least psychologically) - and will remain so until the end of this week!

While it has been possible to do at-the-airport on-the-day upgrades on some exLGW GB metal services, it was VERY rare for them to offer advance upgrades (at the offer prices). And remember it needs to be done in advance if you want the Tier Points.

As such I've never known it on the Gib route, however that may change with BA itself starting LGW services on Sunday. However with only 1 a/c a day (and despite easyJet having all the exGT capacity) the BA flights WILL be very oversubscribed.

Interestingly some strange things have been happing with Malaga (AGP) - LHR GB Airways operated services over the past 2 weeks, noticed strange prices appear briefly from time to time. Someone I know got one-way AGP>LHR for <100GBP in Club. However I think they might be making last minute decisions about some of the services and also releasing seats carefully, hence occasionally selling out in weird combinations of buckets resulting in strange prices.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Trying to do a £59 upgrade online.

I already upgraded the outbound and am now trying to upgrade the inbound.

All seems to go well until it gets to the "cost of change is being calculated" step which then returns an error message - "Sorry, we are unable to process your request. Please contact your booking agent".

Ticket was booked online at ba.com.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 1:39 am

Programs: BA gold; bmi silver; Virgin silver; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
HOW much??

I upgraded an outbound to Barcelona for Friday 02/05, for £59.

Thought I would check the price for an inbound upgrade (it's all about the tier points...), and the price came up at over £500!!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 2:40 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My Loves - please be kind with the witterings of a gin soaked old BAat. I don not understand this £59 upgrade (I think that it has gone up anyway).

I priced a BLQ return which was £44 on certain flight on certain days in June. I upgraded them both ways and the price came to £410.60 for two. I went back and booked the lowest I fare which offered me flights that were not available at the £44 fare and came to - £410.60.

So is this upgrade really only worthwhile for a one-way upgrading or have I missed something?

If I am upgrading and paying with money or miles I try to do so when I am booking and book what is available rather than just hoping that it is available at the airport or at OLCI.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
PUCCI darling - I couldn't possibly comment about you being a gin soaked old BAat, HIDDY's no doubt around somewhere to speak about that

Firstly, yes it has gone up - by a whole pound. It's now £60 each way.

The upgrade is generally only available on flights which are not heavily booked in CE, though quite how they decide which I'm not sure. Probably the BLQ you were looking at was fairly heavily booked on the return, hence the price. (The Italian flights are busy right now). Ditto the flight pinkpanther88 was referring to.

However, what I have often noticed is it can be cheaper to book an I class CE to begin with as that is sometimes a few £'s cheaper than doing the upgrade on the day each way. For instance, pricing out a CE ticket for PFO for later in the year the return upgrade was just £88 both ways, over £30 cheaper than the airport upgrades. And by doing it that way you can also ensure you get your tier points which you don't if you do it at the airport.

And heartybob in your case, please call BA as it could be the return is unavailable for the £60 upgrade.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Apr 30, 2008 at 4:48 am
Old Apr 30, 2008, 4:41 am

It's a shame such a perk doesn't exist from LHR!

My family are fortunate enough to have two s/h holiday flights this year and one l/h. The l/h is in CW and so we are allowed 3 bags each for 1 weeks' holiday to Florida. Our s/h hols are 2 weeks to Rome for a cruise, but since flight is from LHR with only fiendishly expensive upgrades available, we have only 1 bag pp allowance, and SZG from LGW at Christmas, so with the £59 upgrade outbound, we are again allowed 3 bags pp! The prospect of champagne is also mouth watering!

Darlings, please forgive me for rambling on, but I love talking to you all.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by botham
It's a shame such a perk doesn't exist from LHR!
Don't hold your breathe but I heard rumour that they might be looking into starting this. Also remember some flights from LHR are always busy in CE but ......
Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Don't hold your breathe but I heard rumour that they might be looking into starting this. Also remember some flights from LHR are always busy in CE but ......
I especially love you, sunrisegirl, but don't tell my wife!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
The upgrade is generally only available on flights which are not heavily booked in CE, though quite how they decide which I'm not sure.
I've been keeping an eye on our NAP booking in late July, to see if the upgrade offer opens up - got a long waitin in Gatwixck following our flight down from Manchester so lounge access would be a great help.

I've been checking on Expertflyer, and there are only 3 rows of CE showing, none of while are showing as allocated (I know this doesn't truely reflect bookings though). What do you think the chances are that they'll open up this flight for the upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.