Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Bank account in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:11 am

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
Slightly different but opening an international student account with Barclays was fairly easy, and I still get good service from them even though I am no longer a student. (it helps taht I somehow ended up getting moved to their offshore centre in Jersey).
Old Jan 10, 2008, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Thanks gentlemen, for all your suggestions. Since I travel quite a bit the Citibank option sounds good.

I do work and live in London (at least during the week and when not travelling). Getting the documentation for opening an account should be no real problem.

Originally Posted by ozzie
Citibank is a good choice if you want to transfer money between countries. If you have a citibank account in germany (or any one of about 50 countried) and one in the UK, you can transfer between the accounts instantly (yes, instantly) and for free. Also no fees for using citibank ATMs anywhere in the world. Their most basic account is free and offers 24 hour telephone banking (via India, but thety do know what they are doing) and an excellent website.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:04 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by frankvb
Interesting - same experience by me was that HSBC wanted to charge about £25 + a few percent on the mid-exchange rate to transfer some money to my Dutch bank account. So I guess the only thing they should charge is the few percent mark-up + £6? Which is likely still worse than just sending a GBP cheque to my Dutch bank, which only recently started charging something like a 0.25% currency exchange mark-up fee (on top of the 12 euro paying-in-a-cheque fee).
They should convert GBPs into EURs at interbank rates, and charge something for the conversion. If I was charged GBP 25, I'd complain (EC Commission website has details of where to complain).

Tom
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
The reason for asking all the awkard questions when opening a bank account in the UK is all down to government requirements to overcome money laundering. As ever it was implemented in a cack-handed way which inconvenienced genuine customers and which the launderers readily circumvented.

The government realised this, checked up on account openings, found there were some genuine account holders whose accounts had been opened in good faith without all these silly checks, and fined the banks severely. So if you find it a nuisance speak not to your bank but to your MP. On second thoughts, don't bother.
The reason for that is of course that the government in the UK has no idea (officially) where you live. That information is, however, required under money laundring rules. On the Continent, you will have to register your address with the police or some other government agency - yes, it feels like living in a police state , but you do get a Carte de Sejour (or a national ID card for citizens) that states your address, and that and your Passport is ID all your bank will ever want to see. No fiddling around with gas bills.

Tom
Old Jan 10, 2008, 6:15 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by flamboyant 1
Hi All,

My employer asked me to open a bank account in the UK.

Which bank should I go with (HSBC, Barclays, Natwest, etc.?)?

I only want a very simple standard account (to get my salary and pay my rent) (if possible with very low annual costs and low fees for withdrawals in foreign countries).

I guess I should also apply for a BA or BMI credit card once the account is set up.

Thanks a lot for your assistance!
If you have the time and ID, Alliance & Leicester offer a good current account for new customers. Free £1k overdraft, 7% interest and also a regular saver account giving 12% interest, additional perks are the A&L (MBNA) credit card giving 0% interest on purchases for 3months. You can pay cheques in at the post office if you have a paying-in slip and an envelope. Getting to a branch is a royal pain in the preverbial though.

Otherwise take everyone elses advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.