Community
Wiki Posts
Search

World Traveller Onboard Service Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
World Traveller Onboard Service Thread

Over on the Cathay Pacific & Singapore Airlines threads, they've got menu threads for all 3 classes. I thought that in light of the confusing aray of cuisine on offer, this thread could unearth what is on offer. I've read a couple of trip reports which suggest the end of the All Day Deli boxes. Can anyone confirm this? Also, where can you get a Full English Brekkie on BA? I'd invite people to share questions, groans & answers about the often neglected World Traveller onboard service.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyboy777
in light of the confusing aray of cuisine on offer
Chicken or Beef?
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Ba49 Lhr-sea/sea-lhr Ba48

Lunch

Nibbles: Worcester Sauce Pretzel Nuggets

Caesar Salad
Rustic Bread Roll
Chicken Curry with braised Rice
or
Shepherds Pie with green beans
Strawberry Cheesecake
Mini Kit Kat Chunky

Afternoon Tea in a box

Chicken Mayo Salad Roll
Apple & Blackberry Cake
Apple & Grape Bag

RETURN

Dinner

Nibbles: Same as before

Prawn salad (not quite a prawn cocktail)
Braised beef with potatos, carrots, mushrooms & peas
or
Chicken Risotto
Chocolate Marble Cheesecake
Mini Cadburys Crunchie

Breakfast in a box

Chicken & Lettuce Roll
Strawberry & Banana Yoghurt

Amenity kit both ways contained the bog standard socks, eyeshade, toothbrush but no toothpaste which is advertised on the packet

Crew were nice
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
The longer morning domestic flights (ABZ / EDI /GLA) all get a reasonable hot breakfast (sausage, bacon, egg scrambled or similar, mushroom, toms or beans) with a roll, marmalde, juice, tea / coffee.^
Also had a really awful hot breakfast on the morning service from Dubai in WTP. (same catering as WT)
Old May 8, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Chicken or Beef?
Not anymore!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3890069.ece

Originally Posted by The Times
British Airways has ditched beef for economy class passengers this summer in an attempt to appeal to a more international passenger base.

The familiar cabin crew inquiry of “chicken or beef?” will not be heard in economy after the airline ditched the national dish in favour of what it calls a lighter, healthier option.

Critics will suspect that the relentless pressure to cut costs that all airlines are facing is behind the move, although BA said cost was not a factor.

A spokesman for the airline told The Times: “We were looking for something with broad appeal. Research trends have shown us that fish pie is very popular in supermarkets so we decided to go with that and chicken and tarragon for the summer.

“We can only serve two options and beef and pork obviously have religious restrictions,” the spokesman added. BA's second-biggest long-haul market, after transatlantic routes, is to India.

Although beef meals, supplied by Gate Gourmet, will not be served in what some passengers term “cattle class” they will be served in business and first class cabins.

A spokesman for the English Beef and Lamb Executive, formerly part of the Meat and Livestock Commission, said: “It is regrettable that Britain's flag carrier is not proposing to serve Britain's national dish.”
Old May 8, 2008, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

As my granny used to say if you're hungry you'll eat anything.

I sometimes wonder if it's just British people who moan about airline food,we do take it awfully seriously at times and voice our opinions when our expectations aren't met.

In over 40 years of flying in all classes but mostly down the back I can honestly say I have never really complained about the grub I have been given.Yes some have been better than others, Emirates and Iberia were plentiful and good yet I have read reports that they were awful, even Air China was acceptable, don't know what it was I was given but I ate it anyway because I was hungry.

On short haul I am thankful for getting anything at all to be honest. I really do think some people expect the impossible, it's a plane not a Michelin starred restaurant.
Old May 8, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM/360; AA EP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
As my granny used to say if you're hungry you'll eat anything.

I sometimes wonder if it's just British people who moan about airline food,we do take it awfully seriously at times and voice our opinions when our expectations aren't met.

In over 40 years of flying in all classes but mostly down the back I can honestly say I have never really complained about the grub I have been given.Yes some have been better than others, Emirates and Iberia were plentiful and good yet I have read reports that they were awful, even Air China was acceptable, don't know what it was I was given but I ate it anyway because I was hungry.

On short haul I am thankful for getting anything at all to be honest. I really do think some people expect the impossible, it's a plane not a Michelin starred restaurant.
TP: LAD-LIS in Y = awful.
Old May 8, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
Lunch

Nibbles: Worcester Sauce Pretzel Nuggets

Caesar Salad
Rustic Bread Roll
Chicken Curry with braised Rice
or
Shepherds Pie with green beans
Strawberry Cheesecake
Mini Kit Kat Chunky

Afternoon Tea in a box

Chicken Mayo Salad Roll
Apple & Blackberry Cake
Apple & Grape Bag

RETURN

Dinner

Nibbles: Same as before

Prawn salad (not quite a prawn cocktail)
Braised beef with potatos, carrots, mushrooms & peas
or
Chicken Risotto
Chocolate Marble Cheesecake
Mini Cadburys Crunchie

Breakfast in a box

Chicken & Lettuce Roll
Strawberry & Banana Yoghurt

Amenity kit both ways contained the bog standard socks, eyeshade, toothbrush but no toothpaste which is advertised on the packet

Crew were nice
Did you open the toothbrush? the paste (albeit a small small tube) is inside, fitted into a slot in the toothbrush
Old May 8, 2008, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Callum_1
Did you open the toothbrush? the paste (albeit a small small tube) is inside, fitted into a slot in the toothbrush
Yes, I did - no mini toothpaste

Interesting article ian001. I hate fish, but I found beef quite heavy for the summer travels. Cottage Pie/Chicken Curry going westbound & Braised Beef/Chicken Risotto going eastbound across the atlantic. Both are more winter dishes.

Fish always stinks the whole plane out when heated up - can't imagine how bad it'll be when served for 200+!

"British Airways has ditched beef for economy class passengers this summer in an attempt to appeal to a more international passenger base...

Research trends have shown us that fish pie is very popular in supermarkets so we decided to go with that"

Fish Pie - how unBritish is that?!
Old May 8, 2008, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA Au; IHG Pl; Hyatt Au; IC RA; Marriott Pl
Fish Pie - how unBritish is that?!
I'll have you know it is VERY Tesco-blue-stripey-ready-meal. And post-jamie-oliver-outsourced-school-dinners. And sub-£5 pub grub. And can't-be-arsed-to-think-up-a-nutritious-and-original-menu-for-my-kids family supper.
Old May 8, 2008, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I had the fish pie a few weeks ago.

It is disgusting in the extreme and makes the food in pleb world look Gourmet.

The fish pie contains that Cod substitute (Polack or something like that)

Avoid Fish Pie all costs, the Chicken with Tarragon is 1000% better
Old May 8, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
The longer morning domestic flights (ABZ / EDI /GLA) all get a reasonable hot breakfast (sausage, bacon, egg scrambled or similar, mushroom, toms or beans) with a roll, marmalde, juice, tea / coffee.^
Also had a really awful hot breakfast on the morning service from Dubai in WTP. (same catering as WT)
Actually to be really bloody minded why do we need any catering on anything under 2 hours? By all means bring the drinks trolley round with the carcinogenic flavoured pretzels, it gives the PAX something to do, but I refuse to believe that one is going to pass out from starvation!
Old May 8, 2008, 3:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by OPebble
Actually to be really bloody minded why do we need any catering on anything under 2 hours? By all means bring the drinks trolley round with the carcinogenic flavoured pretzels, it gives the PAX something to do, but I refuse to believe that one is going to pass out from starvation!
Because it's an institution, and long may it continue
Old May 8, 2008, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OPebble
I agree.

I'm all for a drink but is the food necessary when all people do is moan about it. Anyway, those with lounge access have got a bloody cheek, stuffing themselves in there then moaning about the onboard bird seed.
Old May 8, 2008, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Id rather eat the amenity kit than the tripe served in Y..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.