Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Two pieces of hand baggage to be allowed at LHR, but not LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two pieces of hand baggage to be allowed at LHR, but not LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
You see ladies - just as I said, now calm down.
We would, but bealine got us all "hot under the collar"...

Thanks sunrisegirl - I will carry my (little) handbag with pride (but willl leave some space in my hand luggage just in case I need to stuff it in there...)

Boo
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA
I don't see the relevance of saying that there is a policy by BA on cabin baggage being taken on board.

Once through security you can buy whatever quantity of goods in the shops that you like - and a few do and come away with loads of large shopping bags. More fool them, of course, at BAA prices, but that is another matter.

Now obviously you cannot check what you have bought after security. But everybody is allowed on board with all this. Nothing in this category is ever gate checked. Nor, with open shopping bags, could that ever be done.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Now obviously you cannot check what you have bought after security. But everybody is allowed on board with all this. Nothing in this category is ever gate checked. Nor, with open shopping bags, could that ever be done.
Don't be so sure. If a pax has really excessive amounts of hand luggage then we could insist that some of the items are checked in. In reality this would mean a wheelie bag, laptop bag, briefcase or handbag could be gate checked instead. But we also have checked baggage tape which could be used to seal an open shopping bag.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA
I'm sure that if the "hand" baggage is so grossly excessive something has to be done with it. I have always wondered how things like boxed television sets you see being sold in some Asian airport duty free areas (after security) get home. But I can never remember seeing anyone being relieved of things at the gate on large aircraft.

Does anyone here remember a BA television advertisment a few years ago which showed the pax boarding with a large fragile greek urn, and a smiling FA helping put it up in the overheads ? I always used to wonder what would happen when they hit turbulence !
Old Jan 5, 2008, 7:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
So if I have it right, my second bag does not have to be laptop bag after all - a small duffel bag to go with my small wheelie are fine?

Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm sure that if the "hand" baggage is so grossly excessive something has to be done with it. I have always wondered how things like boxed television sets you see being sold in some Asian airport duty free areas (after security) get home. But I can never remember seeing anyone being relieved of things at the gate on large aircraft.

Does anyone here remember a BA television advertisment a few years ago which showed the pax boarding with a large fragile greek urn, and a smiling FA helping put it up in the overheads ? I always used to wonder what would happen when they hit turbulence !
Actually I have seen on an intra-asian flight someone come aboard with 3 large tvs, plus some sort of stereo system, on top of a few bags of duty free booze and their 3 roll aboards. The pax needed a small army of staff (airline and shop) to help him carry it all aboard!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:18 am

Does anyone know if you will be okay today? Friends of mine are connecting through London and are coming to meet me. As they are moving country's they probably have a fair amount of carry-on - their luggage is checked through to the final destination, but do you think BAA will allow them through?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Does anyone know if you will be okay today? Friends of mine are connecting through London and are coming to meet me. As they are moving country's they probably have a fair amount of carry-on - their luggage is checked through to the final destination, but do you think BAA will allow them through?
No chance...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Does anyone know if you will be okay today?
Nope. BAA staff out in force to enforce the one bag rule today. And check-in staff also checking only one bag.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Gold
I used to travel with my 'new rules' compliant 22x14x9 Tumi and this

http://www.tumi.com/travel_luggage/c...?modelid=50136

which measures 12.8x13x8.5

It can be squashed at the top to look smaller (post the liquids when things went to a laptop size bag, I travelled from LHR and LGW with it, with no problems.

So it's about the same size as an overstuffed laptop bag.

Anyone who travels the next couple of days with similar - would be interested to see how stern BAA are being (Fast track or otherwise)
Old Feb 8, 2008, 8:34 pm
Bukhara

bbbbbbbbbbb

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Old Feb 8, 2008, 11:18 pm

Are two bags OK now (roller + laptop) transiting through LHR? The last "no" I see on this thread was over a month ago. Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by muddy
Are two bags OK now (roller + laptop) transiting through LHR? The last "no" I see on this thread was over a month ago. Thanks for any help!
Yes it has been fine since Jan 7th.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by bealine
Traveller pax are allowed one cabin bag in the overhead plus a laptop or small briefcase stowed under the seat in front of you. (Both bags do not go in the overhead!)
Is this true? I just flew to SFO and back with two bags, both stored in the overhead lockers, and had no problems - nor did I see any obvious signs saying this wasn't allowed. On both flights the overhead lockers were relatively unloaded though, so that might have meant that they didn't care.

Having said that though, on the way out I managed to get a bulkhead seat - which of course doesn't allow baggage to be stored anywhere but in the overhead bins during takeoff and landing...
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
And now for some good news.

Passengers travelling through London Gatwick will be able to carry two pieces of hand baggage through security from Monday February 11.

For passengers departing from Gatwick, the one bag allowance remains in place.

BA.com will be updated on Monday morning with latest customer information.

A step in the right direction, let's hope it soon becomes two bags for all passengers at LGW.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by muddy
You'll be right. I've gone through LHR twice in the past couple of weeks with a full weekend satchel and a generous laptop bag, without problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.