Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dusseldorf/Germany turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:37 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by skye1
Just did the LHR-DUS-LHR turnaround.

Maybe I just found DUS on a good day (Sunday), but it wasn't very crowded, and I didn't feel "rushed" to get back on the plane. It seemed VERY workable for a turnaround. Perhaps mid-day on a weekday it's much more crowded. The flights over & back weren't that full either, and maybe they are on a weekday. I was given an upgrade to Club Europe on the return to LHR.

IME, DUS is pretty busy Sunday evening and Friday afternoon and the lounge/rest of the terminal does get pretty busy.

Sounds like there was some food available in the lounge? Often, especially at the busy times, there is a distinct shortage!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Brian_is_flyin
MSP > DTW > DUS on 12/29, NW, U.S. Passport/citizen, 90 minutes later, turn around an do it again.....

Will I have any problems with a 90 minute turn? Most likely the same plane, right?
No problem at all with this - you'll be on the same plane and will even have time to get a German entry stamp in your passport (you need to clear immigration to get from the gate area to the shops/cafes etc).
Old Jan 15, 2008, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Excellent news skye1, I was wondering how you'd got on! ^
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
IME, DUS is pretty busy Sunday evening and Friday afternoon and the lounge/rest of the terminal does get pretty busy.

Sounds like there was some food available in the lounge? Often, especially at the busy times, there is a distinct shortage!
Seemed on a par with other Terraces lounges I've visited, maybe more on munchies/"snack" options than meal stuffs, but that could have been due to time of day. There were a couple of trays of meatballs (meticulously arranged & spaced apart individually on the tray by someone who clearly has too much time on their hands), a bowl of those sausage thingies you usually see at weddings & office parties, plates of various types of cheeses & crackers, a few different kinds of chips ("crisps" in my recently refreshed 'brit-speak', i think), several types of packaged cookies ("biscuits")...which I stashed in my bag for post-trip snacking---just finishing the Walkers' Chocolate Chip ones this morning at work, cheeses, snack-mix packages (pretzels, crackers, etc.). Snack packages of muffins, danishes, etc. Refrigerators stocked with beers. A couple of bottles of wines being chilled. Several different liquors along the shelf above the refrig. Piles of apples in bowls scattered about the rather spacious lounge. I like the "chaise lounges" they had by the windows...tempting for a nap. VERY spacious place, with a "cappucino bar" at one end and a "wine" bar at the other. The "cappucino bar" machines were out of order at the time.

Only 3 of us in the whole place at the time, all LHR pax.

The Flight Connections Line wasn't the ZOO I'd experienced many times before...not the usual throngs of people--a crowd, yes, but not the usual "multitudes/masses", no BA dragons yelling out the "this line is for BA F pax" every five minutes, no touristy pax with TONS of HUGE bottles to get rid of. The T-1-T3 bus actually went rather slow, and not the "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride"/Nascar Wannabe thru the bowels of Heathrow that it usually is.

I'm seriously looking at a DUS turnaround again as an MR. I'm sure that this went so well was an isolated experience, 'tho. AA still has Germany flights on sale for the winter, and upgrades on the TATL segs thru LHR are more likely to clear than US-FRA.

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Excellent news skye1, I was wondering how you'd got on! ^
Thanks for your clear directions to the tube stop nearest our latest watering hole. Made for an easy dash to the Picadilly Line. The train I caught wasn't even the last. Only waited about 15 min. wait at the Hatton Cross station for the free bus over to the Skyline.

Interestingly, the lady at the Elemis Spa in T1 said she would have been happy to book an appointment for me had I gotten there five minutes earlier before the last avail. one before my flight was booked. I thought it was just for BA status pax only, and/or BA First pax. All she asked for was my boarding pass, and it was obvious I was only in coach ("economy") LHR-DUS, and certainly no status on BA other than OW Emerald.

I think I had WAAAAY more legroom in the exit row I began DUS-LHR in than the Club Europe seat I was upgraded to. A little wider of a seat to be sure, but def. knees-to-the-face for a tall person like me. Lunch was tasty, some kind of chicken salad, curry, & tomatoes (pronounced to-MAY-toes).
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by skye1
tomatoes (pronounced to-MAY-toes).
Quite!
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I was just wondering whether there have been any changes to the position as described above, as I have a DUS back-to-back coming up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.