Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Headaches: Mom stuck in Africa, BA not helping me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:50 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

Hi.

I'm a frequent traveler, but don't fly on BA much, so I'm hoping that regulars on the BA board can give me some pointers.

My Mom, a very seasoned traveler, was supposed to leave Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, this afternoon (local time) for a flight to Johannesburg, where she'd catch a flight to Heathrow (leaving tonight local time), and then on to Newark Friday morning. All flights are on BA.

I got an email from her this morning that her departure was delayed, and they'd now be arriving home on Saturday. She didn't specify which flight(s), but based on the IP address from the email, it was sent from Zimbabwe after she should have departed. I got a voice mail from her about an hour ago asking me to go online to check her BA booking, and see if her flight(s) had been rebooked. Again, she didn't tell me where she was, but I'm assuming she's in Zimbabwe. I don't know why she's been delayed.

I had her record locator number, and logged on to view her ticket details on BA.com. It still shows her booked on her original flights. I called the BA US 800 number and the agent was not helpful. She wouldn't tell me whether my Mom was rebooked, nor would she tell me if my Mom had flown the Victoria Falls-J'burg leg.

They agent also said that BA's policy is that, if a passenger misses their flight, they must buy a new ticket. I asked if BA has a "flat tire" rule similar to what most US airlines have. In other words, if you get a flat tire (or encounter another delay on the way to the airport) and miss your flight, they'll automatically rebook you on the next available flight. The woman said they have no such rule. Is this true?

Based on the scant info I was able to get from BA, I do know that the BA counter at Victoria Falls is closed, which is probably why my Mom had me checking with BA. BA claims they can't talk to me about my Mom's flights because she hasn't listed me as an authorized person on her account. (But also told me that my Mom could call up, list me as an authorized person, then I could call back to get more information.) So I may call momentarily posing as my Mom. Unfortunately, I don't have the record locator her for travel companion, so even if I get access to my Mom's ticket, and am able to make changes, her travel companion may still be SOL.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd sincerely appreciate it. My Mom's been gone for 3 weeks and her first grandchild is due to be born any day now (though, officially, tomorrow), so she's probably a bit anxious to get home!

Thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:57 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Hi.

I'm a frequent traveler, but don't fly on BA much, so I'm hoping that regulars on the BA board can give me some pointers.

My Mom, a very seasoned traveler, was supposed to leave Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe, this afternoon (local time) for a flight to Johannesburg, where she'd catch a flight to Heathrow (leaving tonight local time), and then on to Newark Friday morning. All flights are on BA.

I got an email from her this morning that her departure was delayed, and they'd now be arriving home on Saturday. She didn't specify which flight(s), but based on the IP address from the email, it was sent from Zimbabwe after she should have departed. I got a voice mail from her about an hour ago asking me to go online to check her BA booking, and see if her flight(s) had been rebooked. Again, she didn't tell me where she was, but I'm assuming she's in Zimbabwe. I don't know why she's been delayed.

I had her record locator number, and logged on to view her ticket details on BA.com. It still shows her booked on her original flights. I called the BA US 800 number and the agent was not helpful. She wouldn't tell me whether my Mom was rebooked, nor would she tell me if my Mom had flown the Victoria Falls-J'burg leg.

They agent also said that BA's policy is that, if a passenger misses their flight, they must buy a new ticket. I asked if BA has a "flat tire" rule similar to what most US airlines have. In other words, if you get a flat tire (or encounter another delay on the way to the airport) and miss your flight, they'll automatically rebook you on the next available flight. The woman said they have no such rule. Is this true?

Based on the scant info I was able to get from BA, I do know that the BA counter at Victoria Falls is closed, which is probably why my Mom had me checking with BA. BA claims they can't talk to me about my Mom's flights because she hasn't listed me as an authorized person on her account. (But also told me that my Mom could call up, list me as an authorized person, then I could call back to get more information.) So I may call momentarily posing as my Mom. Unfortunately, I don't have the record locator her for travel companion, so even if I get access to my Mom's ticket, and am able to make changes, her travel companion may still be SOL.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd sincerely appreciate it. My Mom's been gone for 3 weeks and her first grandchild is due to be born any day now (though, officially, tomorrow), so she's probably a bit anxious to get home!

Thanks!

a) BA is technically correct that they do not give out information if your name is not in the PNR as authorized. Though in an obvious situation like this they might bend the rules -- it would help if you had the basic information -- flight missed or , delayed and where they are

b) Is VFA-JNB-LHR-EWR one ticket or two?
If it is one ticket then the original flight was delayed and BA should rebook.
If two tickets then they have a problem.

c) "buy new ticket" only applies to non-refundable non changeable fares.. anything else can be rebooked.

d)BA 6282 allegedly flew today --- not canceled -- again if it was delayed ... then it depends on the ticket issue (one or two) it was delayed 24 minutes and arrived 3:49 PM... BA 56 left at 8:43 PM and will arrive at 5:34 AM BA 54 is supposed to leave on time at 9:25 PM.

The story has something missing

Last edited by roundtheworld; Dec 13, 2007 at 12:02 pm
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
First question, and I suspect the answer is no - are the Zimbabwe - South Africa and JNB - LHR flights on the same PNR? If not, BA is entirely correct. They do not have to help your mother, you've accepted the risk by booking separate PNR's and they could leave it entirely up to you (or your insurance, but since you are US based, I expect you don't have any ) to sort it out. If it is on the same PNR, then it is entirely BA's problem, and they will have to provide options back for your mother.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

To clear up some confusion...

I believe this is all on the same PRN. When I go onto BA.com and enter the record locator number, the entire sequence of flights appears.

I never said the flight was cancelled. The only message I got from her was that their departure was delayed and they wouldn't be getting home until Saturday. I assume that they didn't make it to the airport in time, or lines at the airport were unexpectedly long, or something else happened en route to the airport. She's traveling on a Overseas Adventure Travel trip (which also booked the tickets) and OAT provides transfers to and from the airports. Unfortunately, OAT isn't very helpful in trying to get her rebooked.

The authorized user thing...I just called BA, posed as her and added myself as an authorized user. So at least they're now willing to talk to me about her schedule. But they don't seem very helpful at getting her rebooked. I'm going to call them again right now.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

(duplicate post)
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Hi,

I believe this is all on the same PRN. When I go onto BA.com and enter the record locator number, the entire sequence of flights appears.

She's traveling on a Overseas Adventure Travel trip (which also booked the tickets) and OAT provides transfers to and from the airports. Unfortunately, OAT isn't very helpful in trying to get her rebooked.

The authorized user thing...I just called BA, posed as her and added myself as an authorized user. So at least they're now willing to talk to me about her schedule. But they don't seem very helpful at getting her rebooked. I'm going to call them again right now.
This makes it a bit more transparent.

In this case OAT has the responsibility - a package tour, and they have to rebook and or buy new ticket.. If bought in the US you have a way to put pressure on them on this side..
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roundtheworld
This makes it a bit more transparent.

In this case OAT has the responsibility - a package tour, and they have to rebook and or buy new ticket.. If bought in the US you have a way to put pressure on them on this side..
Yeah, I just had my fourth conversation with BA and they finally confirmed that OAT has to rebook the ticket. Amusingly(!), OAT claims, A) they're not a travel agency, b) they have no responsibility for clients who get stranded in other countries, c) it's the client's responsibility to solve their own travel problems and d) the local OAT staff in Zimbabwe has no responsibility to help her get home. By the end of the call I was just laughing!

Thanks for your help, everyone! Now I need to go fight with OAT. (Moderators, feel free to lock.)
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
So glad these safeguards are protecting us effectively from anyone who might want to interfere maliciously with our bookings.

For the rest, I'm still confused. If the your mother said she's arriving Saturday, surely she has organised this -presumably though OAT. Any intervention on your part could upset these arrangements. And if she's contactable by e-mail and/or phone why the confusion?

I will say with some conviction that the conjecture that possibly "lines at the airport were unexpectedly long" can be ruled out at VFA.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

(But before this thread is locked, I will add one funny exchange with a BA phone rep.)

BA: The time difference with Zimbabwe is 7 hours.
Me: 7 hours ahead of what time zone?
BA: They're 7 hours ahead.
Me: 7 hours ahead of where?
BA: The United States.
Me: What time zone in the United States?
BA: What time zone?
Me: Yes. There are 4 time zones on the continental US, plus we have states and territories in several more time zones. Zimbabwe is 7 hours ahead of which time zone in the United States?
BA: Oh. Florida.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roundtheworld
d)BA 6282 allegedly flew today --- not canceled -- again if it was delayed ... then it depends on the ticket issue (one or two) it was delayed 24 minutes and arrived 3:49 PM... BA 56 left at 8:43 PM and will arrive at 5:34 AM BA 54 is supposed to leave on time at 9:25 PM.
Just a quick update, for those who helped me out today...

I finally spoke to my Mom and got the rest of the story. While BA 6282 (Victoria Falls to J'burg) did fly on Thursday, the plane didn't actually land in Victoria Falls. Apparently it circled and circled above VFA, then turned around and headed back to J'burg. A South African flight did the same thing. Bad weather. Hopefully they'll have more success on Friday.

When I originally posted--more than 6 hours after the non-flight from VFA--none of the BA customer service people I spoke to knew that the plane never landed in VFA, and BA.com was showing a flight status that made it appear as if the flight took off. So each time I talked to BA this afternoon, they were telling me, "If she missed the plane, it's her fault and her travel agent needs to rebook her or she needs to buy a new ticket." Only the last time I called BA (an hour ago) did they actually recognize that she never left VFA because they didn't have a plane to put her on. That definitely added to the original confusion on my part!

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
For the rest, I'm still confused. If the your mother said she's arriving Saturday, surely she has organised this -presumably though OAT. Any intervention on your part could upset these arrangements. And if she's contactable by e-mail and/or phone why the confusion?
She was originally scheduled to depart VFA on Thursday and arrive EWR on Friday (booked through OAT). She was delayed, so she knew that Saturday was her earliest possible arrival, but when she originally contacted me she wanted me to find out if BA had successfully rebooked them yet (and for me to pass the info on to other family and the car service that was expecting her home on Friday). From what she told me when we finally talked, BA doesn't seem to have many (any?) computers at VFA, so the rebooking process is understandably slow (there were 100+ other passengers also stranded) and communication is not instantaneous. So, with only scant info, I was trying to find out if she'd been rebooked, or possibly get her rebooked from my end.

She's not very contactable via email and/or phone...she doesn't have her mobile with her in Africa and when she tried to call me at midnightish VFA time, the operator was unable to get a phone line out. Plus, it sounds as if there isn't 24-hour internet access easily available.

Thanks all for your help...hopefully she'll get home on Saturday! My sister-in-law is pregnant, and tomorrow is the due date, so I know my Mom would like to at least be in the same country when her first grandchild is born. (The trip was planned before the baby.)

Last edited by chgoeditor; Dec 13, 2007 at 10:47 pm
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Oat?

Yeah, I just had my fourth conversation with BA and they finally confirmed that OAT has to rebook the ticket. Amusingly(!), OAT claims, A) they're not a travel agency, b) they have no responsibility for clients who get stranded in other countries, c) it's the client's responsibility to solve their own travel problems and d) the local OAT staff in Zimbabwe has no responsibility to help her get home. By the end of the call I was just laughing!

Thanks for your help, everyone! Now I need to go fight with OAT. (Moderators, feel free to lock.)
Who or what is OAT? Are they a package tour company only? If so, is it possibly they work through a secondary travel agency?

Glad your mom got back alright! What a pain!!

Dave
Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:07 am

Programs: BA Exec, BMI DC
What is OAT?

Google is your friend.....

OAT

http://www.oattravel.com/gcc/general/
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:02 am

Programs: BA - Bronze, Hilton - Platinum
Hi all - since on my return flight back from Africa I will be on Safari right up until my flight back - how do I add an authorised person onto my booking? Can this be done on-line or over the phone? Any help welcome!

THanks
Old Dec 14, 2007, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coakers
Hi all - since on my return flight back from Africa I will be on Safari right up until my flight back - how do I add an authorised person onto my booking? Can this be done on-line or over the phone? Any help welcome!

THanks
Simply call BA (or your airline), and tell them that you'd like to give them the name of a friend/relative who is authorized to have access to your PRN and make changes to your ticket, if necessary. You'll need to supply your friend/relative with the PRN.

BTW, I was woken up at 5:45 a.m. by a call from the OAT rep in J'burg, calling to tell me that my Mom was on a plane out of VFA. Now the trick is getting her the rest of the way home...she's standby for a JNB-LHR flight today and confirmed on a JNB-LHR flight tomorrow.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

chgoeditor - Glad your mother is back on track for getting home.^

All in all I would say everything has been handled pretty well by BA considering communications in Africa can be a bit dodgy at times.
Seems to me that OAT were not helping you at first more than BA though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.