FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Crisis talks going on over BA LGW (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/765017-crisis-talks-going-over-ba-lgw.html)

bizgeez Dec 6, 2007 11:06 am

Crisis talks going on over BA LGW

The situation at LGW is, according to BA crews on my flights today, going to get to a critical level, with 'crisis' talks currently in action between BA and unions over the worsening crewing/scheduling situation at the airline's 2nd London base. There have been increasing cancellations, including BA LGW's most profitable route - Houston, which has seen several cancellations over the last few weeks, together with flights being more commonly operated by LGW charter airlines, due to insufficient crews being available to cover the operation. Unfortunately, due to being overstretched in order to cover the manpower mismanagement, another hundred or so crew are fast approaching their 900hr limit, which will mean they will join the hundreds of non-operational crews who cannot work because of CAA limitations. These limitations are being reached within 7 months of joining BA because of the staffing shortages. For passengers, this will mean an inconsistent product from LGW and minimum crews onboard. As the GLA crew told me today, "as long as people know that when they turn up at LGW now, they may not be on a BA plane, may not have enough crew to get a full service or may not even get a flight that is going!"

Scary, but pretty amazing management!

LHR Tim Dec 6, 2007 11:11 am

And we're surprised, how? :rolleyes:

Good job, Willy!

edi-traveller Dec 6, 2007 11:18 am

Total utter and disgraceful shambles.

LHR Tim Dec 6, 2007 11:22 am

Now are we at the correct airport this time??? :D

Aero_Safety Dec 6, 2007 11:29 am

Is LGW now a regional like GLA etal!!!!!!

Aero

Skimo Dec 6, 2007 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Aero_Safety (Post 8849236)
Is LGW now a regional like GLA etal!!!!!!

Aero

...ish. The cabin crew at LGW are not mainline and have a separate contract with greatly reduced pay and conditions. I know for a fact that one person down there has left to go back to easyjet, so that should give you an idea of how bad it is. The whole thing has been a shambles down at LGW since the 'new' base was set up. Of course all this was predicted by most of us who have no influence in the decision making :rolleyes: . However this could actually be all part of the plan to eventually kill of LGW for good, I suppose.

jason8612 Dec 6, 2007 12:56 pm

:eek:
I got a flight out of LGW next Sat (16th) to Houston. I really hope they will not cancel that. Maybe I can still move over to LHR. This should be a valid reason to avoid the change penalty :) Either that or change to a earlier flight from LGW
What should I do?

bealine Dec 6, 2007 12:57 pm

My heart really does ache for the guys at Gatwick........both flying staff and ground staff!

When I think of what we had at Gatwick, and what we dreamed of, just a few short years ago it makes me want to weep! Gatwick was to be British Airways' second hub primarily serving the oil industry destinations!

Future Size and Shape, coupled with the Government's refusal to add a second runway effectively piddled on Gatwick'sd bonfire as far as BA management was concerned!

It will go down in history as one of the biggest mistakes of all time, I'm sure!

jason8612 Dec 6, 2007 1:19 pm

From the looks of the flight LGW-IAH BA 2025 has had 8 cancellations, BA 2027 (which I'm on) has had 1 out of a total of 121 flights for both 2025 and 2027. Meaning I should technically be OK with the 2027 with a 1.7% chance that it might cancel compared to the 2025 which has a 11% chance.

pax agent Dec 6, 2007 1:55 pm

once again as of October 2006 we are all on mainline and NSP contracts!

lhrtolgw Dec 6, 2007 2:19 pm

Deleted

LHR Tim Dec 6, 2007 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by lhrtolgw (Post 8850409)
I just wonder how the Daily Mail would take this?

Or even the Scotsman? :D

UncleDude Dec 6, 2007 4:01 pm

BUA...Caledonian...Dan Air...Guess LGW really is a Great Profitable Airport to operate from:confused:

If all the American Carriers want to move to LHR why should the National Carrier continue to attempt to make a sensible financial return there.

Rambuster Dec 6, 2007 4:07 pm

I flew LGW-DFW a couple of weeks ago and then the IAH flight was cancelled too. I had no idea it was due to staff shortages.

I guess most pax can be rebooked onto the AA and BA flights to DFW and then connect to IAH ... or onto the CO flights.

adrianjc32 Dec 6, 2007 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by pax agent (Post 8850219)
once again as of October 2006 we are all on mainline and NSP contracts!

But not the same mainline NSP as the rest of us. I wouldn't work for the money that the LGW crews are paid.