Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crisis talks going on over BA LGW

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:24 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I remember when the evening flights between Auckland and Wellington (a 45 minute flight) used to have meals including booze and they had time for seconds (and thirds if you were lucky). Somehow 3 FAs would manage to serve a full 737 load of passengers.
Heck on domestics, the LGW crew can't be @rsed to put the kettle on if there are only three of them.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hyatt gold
Is it REALLY that bad at LGW?

OK....not flown on longhaul out of LGW since the new fleet kicked in. So I need some feedback if possible.....

Me & the misses and kids are on a mileage booking in May from MAN - LGW - MCO, which means a 3am start from here (got the 2901 connection), I have just checked availability on the BA site, and we can now get the 1503 from MAN to JFK and AA down to MCO all on one booking.

I know its a pain going through JFK on a connection, but if LGW is as bad as the reports say, should we take the gamble and miss London out totally?

Some feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Gatwickba
OK....not flown on longhaul out of LGW since the new fleet kicked in. So I need some feedback if possible.....

Me & the misses and kids are on a mileage booking in May from MAN - LGW - MCO, which means a 3am start from here (got the 2901 connection), I have just checked availability on the BA site, and we can now get the 1503 from MAN to JFK and AA down to MCO all on one booking.

I know its a pain going through JFK on a connection, but if LGW is as bad as the reports say, should we take the gamble and miss London out totally?

Some feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I think this really depends if you prefer to go through the madness that is JFK compared to the sanity that is LGW.

The problems at present relate to crew shortages and more crew are being recruited and will be on line long before you travel. Your flight from MAN only has economy so IF (and a big IF at that) it was on a sub-charter you'd only be on there for an hour with no major difference in service.

If you and the family are in J you'd have the benefits of the Terraces lounge before you catch the MCO flight - something you probably wouldn't have time for in JFK.

The vast majority of people travelling through LGW are more than happy, and there are far less issues with long haul. May is a busy time for MCO with half term, etc so can't see any reasons for cancellations on this route.

Personally I wouldn't even consider going via JFK but that's a choice only you can make. You may be interested to know I'm taking a flight from LGW to Florida early next year rather than go through LHR, even though the LHR route would take me far closer to where I need to be.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:07 am

Talking

Thanks Sunrisegirl....

We are in J for this trip, and as we are on the first shuttle from MAN, i presume it will be from a crew that nightstop in MAN rather than a charter sub? (not saying it will be subbed out or anything).

I was also concerned about reports I had read about the crew being of a younger age and not as professional as the crew who are now up a WW fleet LHR?

I am really now tied between staying as we are, changing to fly into MIA (try T5 at LHR!) and get AA up to MCO, or get the JFK from MAN and go down to MCO again on AA.

We are doing the flight via JFK on the way home so we can get straight into MAN and home asap. ------ Too much choice now!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
I was also concerned about reports I had read about the crew being of a younger age and not as professional as the crew who are now up a WW fleet LHR?

Don't believe everything you read here. I've made several trips IAH-LGW-IAH which is the same crew you get on LGW-MCO, and got a chance to compare them with the ORD-LHR crew. The LGW service has great every time. There is a difference in that SOME of the crew are younger than the LHR crew, and CERTAINLY younger than a few of the Grandmotherly the AA crews, however I find that a refreshing change. Rest assured that the crew have been well schooled, and I noticed even G-BOAC commented yesterday in another thread on a trip to DFW about how good the crew were. I for one will be sad when the Texas flights move to LHR next Spring, not just because it's a total P.I.T.A. to get to/from rural Sussex, but because I like the present LGW service.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:00 am

Thanks Sunrisegirl....

We are in J for this trip, and as we are on the first shuttle from MAN, i presume it will be from a crew that nightstop in MAN rather than a charter sub? (not saying it will be subbed out or anything).

I am really now tied between staying as we are, changing to fly into MIA (try T5 at LHR!) and get AA up to MCO, or get the JFK from MAN and go down to MCO again on AA.

We are doing the flight via JFK on the way home so we can get straight into MAN and home asap. ------ Too much choice now!
JFK's not supposed to be that bad anymore. AA has a brand new terminal, T8, and all the terminals are connected by the AirTrain. Even so, I think BA is terminal 7 which is not bad (last time I was there, although that was ages ago) and which should be OK to transit it.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by bernardd
and I noticed even G-BOAC commented yesterday in another thread on a trip to DFW about how good the crew were
Just a few posts up in fact...even me?!? I like to think I am as pro BA as possible whilst keeping a realistic eye open to what faults do exist and where improvements could be made...right now (certainly vs. exactly a year ago) I am very happy with BA in general these days I have to say. Touch wood

I didn't post in the most recent 'Why do you pick BA' thread because most of the reasons had been said by other people, but lots apply to me too. I do love BA (a bit too much my friends who I keep trying to 'educate' would be all too happy to confirm!).
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:06 am

I'd second what bernardd said re the crews. I was a bit nervous after reading some of the commentary on here, but the reality was that the crew on my longhaul flights ex-LGW were absolutely fantastic, and put some of their LHR colleagues to shame. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

It really does seem that BA is giving up on LGW - which is a shame
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:23 am

Thanks everyone....

I think we will leave it as it is for now and see what happens. At worst, BA will have to sort us out if things do change because of their doing rather than mine. I suspect the MAN-JFK flight may be one of the early casulties of the cull when it starts. Shame the MCO isnt on a 747 any more as my son who is 9 really wants to fly on one, and I suspect this will be our last trip for a good few years!

Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Thanks Sunrisegirl....

Well as he mentions above even G-BOAC is a happy bunny lately - and that takes some doing!!

It's often tricky to get MFU space on the MIA (my favourite route!!) but I think there was some for May when I looked about 3-4 weeks ago. However, it can take a while to clear Immigration there depending on what time you arrive and how many South American flights are coming through at the time. You may also want to bear in mind they've now moved to Terminal G and there's been quite a bit of debate about the quality of the lounge they're now using.

Thread 1 and Thread 2

And the AA agents in MIA are not always the friendliest of folks!!

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Dec 9, 2007 at 10:36 am
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
even me?!?

I intended it as 'even G-BOAC, well known knowledgeable and discerning user of BA, ....' Any way, welcome to the strange Texan winter! Just picked peas and tomatoes from the gargen while all around me are finishing decorating the outside of their houses for Christmas. No, I refuse to have an inflatable Homer Simpson Santa Claus in my front lawn....

Here's an off the wall thought. Perhaps the present crew shortages at LGW are working out well for the long haul routes. I'm assuming BA are pressing anyone they can into service, so perhaps what we're seeing are some fresh new faces for whom long haul trips are a novelty, who haven't had time to learn bad habits and who aren't jaded by years of doing the same old stuff.

Which leads me to wonder if there isn't a lesson to be learned here, both by BA and a lot of other service industries.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
And the AA agents in MIA are not always the friendliest of folks!!
In my experience there's also a difference between the MIA and DFW based cabin crews, not to mention a few other features of MIA, though I regularly get shot down in AAnother place for mentioning any of them.

Curiously AA board members complain more about the ladies (I refuse to call them dragons) on the door of the BA lounge in MIA, than any other lounge. Perhaps it's something in the water down there?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:37 am
Suspended

No, I refuse to have an inflatable Homer Simpson Santa Claus in my front lawn....
Scrooge
Old Dec 9, 2007, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Any way, welcome to the strange Texan winter!
Thanks Never been in winter before I don't think - it's odd...when we landed it was really quite muggy and warm, with no hint of rain. Today it's raining and is freezing!

I have been out shopping to exercise my buying power...the Galleria mall is a huge let down (sorry), there's not even an electronics shop
Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Thanks Never been in winter before I don't think - it's odd...when we landed it was really quite muggy and warm, with no hint of rain. Today it's raining and is freezing!

I have been out shopping to exercise my buying power...the Galleria mall is a huge let down (sorry), there's not even an electronics shop

Central Texas has been setting record highs this year, but it's also prone to some pretty big temperature swings because it's so far from the sea - a 30F swing is not unusual when a cold front descends from Alaska. It was 75F outside here at midday, now it's about 60F.

You're right - the Dallas Galleria is little use for electronics. For general purpose stuff the easiest national brand to find is probably Best Buy ( www.bestbuy.com ) or if you have transport try Frys ( www.frys.com ). Failing those, Circuit City for entertainment stuff or Comp-Usa for computers and the like would be my second choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.