Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 5: FAQ, information and updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5: FAQ, information and updates

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
T5 experience today

I used T5 today (my second experience, the first being 2 weeks post-opening). Overall the experience was better than before, but still a lot of rough edges that need sorting out.

How are you supposed to know which BA lounge to use if your gate isn't showing? The sign pointing left for North Lounge, right for South Lounge is hellishly frustrating if you've no idea which one is more appropriate.

I pointed out issues to both a BAA lady and a BA lounge lady - both shrugged and said there's no point complaining or trying to get things changed.

Simon
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
What is the baggage transfer situations like now? Should we be overly worried about lost bags transferring from T4 to T5?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by SimonB
I used T5 today (my second experience, the first being 2 weeks post-opening). Overall the experience was better than before, but still a lot of rough edges that need sorting out.

How are you supposed to know which BA lounge to use if your gate isn't showing? The sign pointing left for North Lounge, right for South Lounge is hellishly frustrating if you've no idea which one is more appropriate.

I pointed out issues to both a BAA lady and a BA lounge lady - both shrugged and said there's no point complaining or trying to get things changed.

Simon
IMHO it doesn't matter which lounge you choose. Domestic flights tend to depart from N end and international from S end. So that might factor into your decision process. The S end has the CCR and the First lounges, so again you may care to take that into account. In due course the 5B lounge will open but that will really be aimed at longhaul.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by mktozd
What is the baggage transfer situations like now? Should we be overly worried about lost bags transferring from T4 to T5?
Last month BA had their best transfer baggage performance since July 1994. You shouldn't worry at all.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
xxxxx, any suggestions as to how I can politely but firmly ask for more departure screens in GF? Thank you.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 3:39 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
At South Security this morning the dedicated Fast Track before the BP check had gone again There was however Fast Track for the tray system part the same as before.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Terminal 5 runs dry

Not quite sure how widespread this or for how long it will last but the arrivals lounge in T5 has no mains water as of approximately 11.15am as I stepped out of the shower. No showers or toilets, I'm not sure if this is also affecting airside areas. Going to check it out now...

Edited to add:
Apparently the whole terminal is affected and they are currently refilling the main water tanks, which will take until 1pm. Until then, it is a bucket flush after you pay a visit.

Last edited by jkw76; Aug 19, 2008 at 5:42 am Reason: update
Old Aug 22, 2008, 8:34 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I am using T5 for the first time today and I have to say it's been a complete pleasure from start to finish. There were no queues for passport check or security. I was welcomed straight into the CCR and had a glass of Bolly '99 in my hand and a plate of bangers 'n' mash in front of me within 5 minutes of ordering them.

I needed to make a Skype call. The free wireless works a dream and supports Skype and Video calls no problem and I was even offered a Cabana so I didn't interrupt anyone else (I have forgotten my attractive headphones / microphone combo!) I am just off for my Elemis treatment...

It has been absolutely excellent so far and I am looking forward to the next time..
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by BA1A
At South Security this morning the dedicated Fast Track before the BP check had gone again There was however Fast Track for the tray system part the same as before.
Forgive me for quoting my own post but I went through again on Friday and Fast Track before the BP check seems to have gone for good now which seems a backwards step to me - anyone know why they have done this?

Fast Track at T4 this morning was exactly that - 2 minutes to get through ^
Old Aug 25, 2008, 4:27 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Forgive me for quoting my own post but I went through again on Friday and Fast Track before the BP check seems to have gone for good now which seems a backwards step to me - anyone know why they have done this?

Fast Track at T4 this morning was exactly that - 2 minutes to get through ^
Perhaps logic has prevailed - no scrub that this is BAA we're talking about - and they decided to allow flexibility when you get beyond the Berlin wall and can see the relative security scanner queue lengths!
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forgive me for quoting my own post but I went through again on Friday and Fast Track before the BP check seems to have gone for good now which seems a backwards step to me.
Pre-security fast track was closed this morning, and just 2 queues of numpties 20 passengers deep, to get past the wall (which hides the queues for security).

Queues for all 3 (fast track and 2 normal) security queues. The smarter passenger looks for the one which is shoes-on (middle one today), which moves twice as fast as the others. Of course a shoe-bomber would never think to do that.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Pre-security fast track was closed this morning, and just 2 queues of numpties 20 passengers deep, to get past the wall (which hides the queues for security).
Well it is an English Bank Holiday so no one will be travelling!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I am using T5 for the first time today and I have to say it's been a complete pleasure from start to finish. There were no queues for passport check or security. I was welcomed straight into the CCR and had a glass of Bolly '99 in my hand and a plate of bangers 'n' mash in front of me within 5 minutes of ordering them.

I needed to make a Skype call. The free wireless works a dream and supports Skype and Video calls no problem and I was even offered a Cabana so I didn't interrupt anyone else (I have forgotten my attractive headphones / microphone combo!) I am just off for my Elemis treatment...

It has been absolutely excellent so far and I am looking forward to the next time..
My family also enjoyed great experiences of T5, this month, though alas we didn't get into the lounge this time. On our return from Rome, we were in our car driving away from the Sheraton Skyline, 60 minutes after landing. We took the 423 bus f.o.c. as recommended on this forum.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

T5 to T1 transfer

Hi all,

We will fly BA 96 YYZ-LHR on Sept 29, arriving LHR at 12:00pm the next day, connect to BA 486 LRH-BCN at 4:50pm, travel in Club World.

I know we arrive at T5 and depart at T1. We have 4+ hous layover. My plan is to head for the lounge at T5 after clear the immigration to have a bite and a shower. Then make our way to T1 about 2 hours before the departure time and wait for the departure from the lounge at T1.

How long it takes to transfer between T5 and T1, and what is the best way to do it?

Last edited by Happy; Aug 29, 2008 at 10:17 pm
Old Aug 29, 2008, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
How long it takes to transfer between T5 and T1, and what is the best way to do it?
From T5 take the Heathrow Express (HEX) to Heathrow Central - this takes approximately 5 minutes and it's free in Express class only. From there you can walk to T1, about another 5 minutes.

A map is shown here:

https://www.heathrowexpress.com/content.asp?SID={9AAAC1B6-F64B-427C-8FD2-AE573D37F38E}&pageid=96

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.