Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 5: FAQ, information and updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5: FAQ, information and updates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:58 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Terminal 5 Transition - British Airways

I was just given a comprehensive guide to the transition of BA flights by date and terminal, and thought it would be helpful to share with everyone. Apologies if this is a dupe...couldn't find it via a search...

27 MARCH 2008 (Current Terminal->New Terminal)
All UK Domestic routes T1-> T5

All European Flts (apart from
BCN, MAD, LIS, NCE, HEL) T1/4-> T5

Tripoli, Johannesburg, Algiers,
San Fran, Los Angeles, Vancouver,
Tokyo, Hong Kong T1/4-> T5

Miami T3-> T5

Warsaw LHR-> LGW

30 MARCH 2008
Algiers LGW-> T5
Houston, Dallas LGW-> T4

30 APRIL 2008
Houston, Dallas T4-> T5
All remaining intercontintal routes T4-> T5
(except SIN, BKK, SYD)

17 SEPTEMBER 2008
*Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon,
Nice and Helsinki T1-> T3

Early 2009
*Singapore, Bangkok, Sydney T4-> T3

*In addition, codeshare flights opertaed by Iberia and Finnair will also be moving to Terminal 3 in September 2008, and Qantas in early 2009.

If you are flying from either Terminal 1 after 27 March or Terminal 4 after 30 April and you are travelling First, Club World or Club Europe, or you're a Gold or Silver EC member, you can still enjoy all the facilities the lounges offer. At Terminal 1 the Terraces Lounge at Gate 5 will become our international departure lounge. And at Terminal 4 you can enjoy the Terraces Lounge located close to Gate 1. Both terminals offer a dedicated check-in area for First, Club World, Club Europe, Gold and Silver EC customers and check-in kiosks.

Last edited by AndyFlyer; Jan 21, 2008 at 3:01 am Reason: formatting
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:08 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer
Warsaw LHR-> LGW
Arggh, most unwelcome.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:12 am

Thank you for sharing that with us! As a "BA Insider", I have been told this from time to time, but at my age I am getting forgetful. Far easier to print your post and copy it into my diary, then I can advise my public accordingly!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Great to get the latest plan, AndyFlyer, thanks. So when are BAA going to make the single departure area at T1? Will they simply knock a big hole through to the Domestic area right now at 2am on 28/03 and be done with it?

For me personally, the most annoying thing about the moves/timetable will be the HEL services and the loss of the lovely F lounge And maybe Dallas not going direct to T5. Oh well, if all goes to plan I'm sure I can survive

Serious question for one of our "BA Insiders" if they're able to comment - with the T1 lounge offering moving over to the current Domestic Terraces, will it just be one big Terraces for everyone as now, or will there be (for example) one floor for Silver/Club and one for Golds? I guess a similar question applies to T4 where it's more relevant (since there will still be F longhaul offerings from there for a while longer).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:21 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Why is my favourite city, Algiers (whch thankfully we still have a travel ban in effect!), moving twice?

Andy, thanks for making this a separte post.

I think it needs to be in the guide or stickied.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
There's a pretty small area on the ground floor - I doubt they could do split floors - unless whoever is unlucky enough to get the ground floor are happy to stand jostled together in a crowded manner like the tube at rush hour!

Only option to do this would be to partition off the upper floor, since it is an open area. However, because it's a long thin lounge, it would be hard to see how they could do it, without making the area by the toilets something like the black hole of Calcutta...
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
There's a pretty small area on the ground floor - I doubt they could do split floors - unless whoever is unlucky enough to get the ground floor are happy to stand jostled together in a crowded manner like the tube at rush hour!

Only option to do this would be to partition off the upper floor, since it is an open area. However, because it's a long thin lounge, it would be hard to see how they could do it, without making the area by the toilets something like the black hole of Calcutta...
They have started already, by boring a hole in the Ladies toilets at Gate 8.

BAA Management later stated they were looking into it!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:43 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Great to get the latest plan, AndyFlyer, thanks. So when are BAA going to make the single departure area at T1? Will they simply knock a big hole through to the Domestic area right now at 2am on 28/03 and be done with it?

Pass...I'm just regurgitating what was sent to me by BA, but I've asked

For me personally, the most annoying thing about the moves/timetable will be the HEL services and the loss of the lovely F lounge And maybe Dallas not going direct to T5. Oh well, if all goes to plan I'm sure I can survive

I agree...losing a lovely glass of fizz is a shame ;-(((

Serious question for one of our "BA Insiders" if they're able to comment - with the T1 lounge offering moving over to the current Domestic Terraces, will it just be one big Terraces for everyone as now, or will there be (for example) one floor for Silver/Club and one for Golds? I guess a similar question applies to T4 where it's more relevant (since there will still be F longhaul offerings from there for a while longer).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Looks like I'm gonna miss out on the full T5 experience. Flying back from Phoenix on 31st March - so from this timetable I'm be flying into (T1 or T4) and out of T% back to EDI. How are they handling T1/T4 transfers - bus round the perimeter?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:54 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
How are they handling T1/T4 transfers - bus round the perimeter?
Bus through the baggage tunnel usually - goes straight underneath 27L. At least when you're transferring via 'flight connections' and do not enter the UK through customs.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
So the flights that are remaining in T3 for the time being (preumably until the opening of T5B?) - I can understand the SIN/BKK/SYD and BNC/MAD ones because of codeshares with QF and IB. However why have LIS and NCE beeing included?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by PhilH
So the flights that are remaining in T3 for the time being (preumably until the opening of T5B?) - I can understand the SIN/BKK/SYD and BNC/MAD ones because of codeshares with QF and IB. However why have LIS and NCE beeing included?
The explanation I have read elsewhere on here is that they are operated with 757s which cannot take containerised luggage which means T5 can't cope with them. Don't know if that's true or if also means 757s will be withdrawn from domestic routes?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by aristoph
Don't know if that's true or if also means 757s will be withdrawn from domestic routes?
Perhaps why we have seen the A321 appear on Domestic routes recently - to replace the 757......?
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Being in T3, in addition to allowing us to have those services close to our JSA/codeshare partners, it also means that we have a space needed to expand in the future without trying to stuff everything into T5 and having to then look for additional terminal space when looking to expand.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by PhilH
Until T5C you mean, T5B is the satellite that opens with the main T5A building.

aristoph is correct. All the non-openskies 757s will be based at T3 because they are the only type that cannot take containerised luggage. By the time T5C opens they should all have been replaced by Airbuses.

Why LIS and NCE in particular were chosen I'm not sure. Presumably they make optimum use of the 757.

This does indeed mean that 321s will replace 757s on domestics.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.