Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR Terminal 5: FAQ, information and updates

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR Terminal 5: FAQ, information and updates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've read a message on pprune that says when T5 opens, people will not be allowed through security with less than 35 minutes to go to their departure time and will then be automatically offloaded from their flight and made to rebook onto a later flight.

Apart from the sheer frustration of having to clear security earlier than the minimum check in times at some other airports, I can see mayhem, chaos, anger and tears here.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
So from 13 January until 26 March, these trains will go to T5 and back empty?
Driver training/route learning perhaps?

Dave
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:02 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by thegoderic
I've read a message on pprune that says when T5 opens, people will not be allowed through security with less than 35 minutes to go to their departure time and will then be automatically offloaded from their flight and made to rebook onto a later flight.

Apart from the sheer frustration of having to clear security earlier than the minimum check in times at some other airports, I can see mayhem, chaos, anger and tears here.
That doesn't make sense - once you clear security, why would you need another 35 minutes? I don't know the layout of T5, but wasn't it supposed to be pretty efficient? So you could have a gate 2 minutes from security...
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
That doesn't make sense - once you clear security, why would you need another 35 minutes?
Simple answer:

T5: Paved with retail gold
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:16 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!
Judging from the trial I was on, anybody reasonably mobile could be at any gate in the main T5 terminal within five minutes of clearing security, and around twelve to thirteen minutes to any gate in the satellite terminal. If you were slow, had lots of kids, weren't much good at reading signs, then I can see those times being doubled, but still, 35 minutes is a bit much.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:20 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by 27R
Judging from the trial I was on, anybody reasonably mobile could be at any gate in the main T5 terminal within five minutes of clearing security, and around twelve to thirteen minutes to any gate in the satellite terminal. If you were slow, had lots of kids, weren't much good at reading signs, then I can see those times being doubled, but still, 35 minutes is a bit much.
Given it says departure time, and most flights start boarding around 30 minutes prior to departure time, and quite often the doors close five or so minutes prior to departure time, is it unreasonable to expect people to have cleared security five minutes before boarding is due to commence?

Dave
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by thadocta
Given it says departure time, and most flights start boarding around 30 minutes prior to departure time, and quite often the doors close five or so minutes prior to departure time, is it unreasonable to expect people to have cleared security five minutes before boarding is due to commence?
Yes, if there is a non-zero chance that they make it onto the plane. If doors close 5 minutes before departure time, and it takes at most 12 or 13 minutes to get to any gate (and only a couple of minutes to gates close to security), what are they doing denying you at security 35 minutes before departure?

Of course, I, and most others would budget to be through security 45 minutes before departure (maybe more at LHR), in order to have a buffer if anything goes wrong. But if things go wrong (tube breaks down, traffic jam, etc) , I want to be able to go through security even 1 minute before departure, run to the gate and hope the flight is delayed by 15 minutes.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:44 am
27R

Programs: Programmes. Please!

Dave
It's not unreasonable to expect them to have cleared security by then, but it's unreasonable to say that they deserve to be offloaded if they haven't. 95% of passengers could clear security with half an hour before departure and make it to any gate comfortably. The types that wouldn't (the infirm and those with obstructive offspring in tow) are pretty unlikely to be cutting it that fine anyway.

In any event, if the rule of all check-in closing forty five minutes before departure is transferred to T5, then it'll be pretty academic what time you clear security - unless long security queues are a feature of T5....
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by 27R
In any event, if the rule of all check-in closing forty five minutes before departure is transferred to T5, then it'll be pretty academic what time you clear security - unless long security queues are a feature of T5....
Or OLCI with PYOB
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:16 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
I think this is highly unreasonable. I've had a couple of routes "down to the wire" over the years - where I've been getting the same flight regularly. I know exactly how long it will take to get to the airport, and know about how long security will take given time of day. I often don't board until 10 minutes before departure. I can't be bothered waiting ion lounges - I have better things to do with my time !
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:56 am
In Memoriam

We are talking about reasonable people here. And when it comes to checking in, going through securtiy, and so on, you and I know we can do it, but the average person can't. So they set time limits.

I think that this is just one of those time limits, it won't affect those of us who fly often, it won't affect the infrequent flyers (who will be checking in early enough that it won't matter).

Dave
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:02 am

I think that this is just one of those time limits, it won't affect those of us who fly often
Why do you come to this conclusion?
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I think that this is just one of those time limits, it won't affect those of us who fly often, it won't affect the infrequent flyers (who will be checking in early enough that it won't matter).

Dave
On the contrary. For my runs up to GLA, I time my Heathrow Express to get to T1 45 minutes before departure time and have often passed through security half an hour or so ahead of departure.
Old Dec 19, 2007, 9:23 am
Lux

Don't worry, there won't be any queues. Ah ha ha:

BA says the new facility will have about 100 self-service kiosks and over 90 fast-bag drops, which will be staffed to assist passengers with queries. The goal, says the carrier, is "zero queues"
Flight Global
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
The Terminal 5 Thread

Okay, so T5 is opening this March. Firstly, I'd like to clear a few things up in my own mind. I invite you to correct me on any of the below;

First Departure: Paris/CDG

First Arrival: Hong Kong

BA Flights being moved across: All European first + Terminal 1 long haul (Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Tokyo, San Francisco - please name the rest)
Terminal 4 Long haul

Terminal 3 Flights: BA Australia flights & some European flights operated by B757s only. NCE, HEL, MAD, BCN, LIS. Please add some more if you know any

All T5 flights will have containerised cargo. T3 won't (perhaps the Aussie flights?) hence the B757 only. Will A320s ever be scheduled to fly ex-T3?

Now some questions;
When & where will the current T3 (& T2) occupants go. I gather that roughly fitting it, Star Alliance will go T1, Skyteam T4 along with the rest of them. Some airlines are staying in T3. Virgin? Singapore? Emirates?

Also, will ALL OneWorld carriers eventually take up residence in T5 when the 2nd satellite is built? I remember reading this a while back (years) but since, it seems that they wont. I'm 90% sure, but just to clarify.

Cheers,

Last edited by flyboy777; Jan 10, 2008 at 9:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.