Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Official LGW Routes Axed: ABZ, NCE, PRG, KEF, SPU

Official LGW Routes Axed: ABZ, NCE, PRG, KEF, SPU

Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:57 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It does seem like Iceland is a little diff than the other destinations they canceled. With other dest BA can at leat get you within 'driving' dist of your destination and this BA should reaccompdate the passenger.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 5:16 am

Talking

Originally Posted by bealine
To be honest, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did. Under Rod Eddington's "Future Shape and Size" study undertaken after the events of 9/11/2003, the decision was made to avoid duplication of LHR routes at LGW. As there is a healthy LHR-NCE schedule, I was quite surprised that the LGW-NCE service was allowed to continue, as well as the LGW-FCO, LGW-MAD and LGW-BCN routes!
I am collecting refunds for 20 flights LGW>NCE from BA as travelling to Heathrow will take longer than actually flying to NCE. Maybe I should buy some EZY shares with the refund
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by Bukhara
There is no reprotection agreement in place with Icelandair. This may change but, in all honesty, I wouldn't expect it to. The same applies to passengers to booked to Split where BA is also unable to offer an alternative service.
I understand about Icelandair, but why can't BA offer service to Split using Malev? According to the Malev website, they serve split "seasonally" (and that's all that BA did) from Budapest. And BA can certainly get you to Budapest. And I thought the whole point of Malev getting into OW was to provide service to places like that in Eastern Europe that other OW airlines didn't. (Of course, now, maybe the point is to provide the service to those destinations that other OW don't want to!)

If BA doesn't have a reprotection agreement with another OW airline, who in the world would they have one with???

In fact, BA should be able to set up a codeshare to "replace" their own flight (though of course this codeshare would involve a stop which the original didn't). Tho I wouldn't think they should need a codeshare to be able to rebook passengers with existing tickets on BA's Split route...
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by ozzie
I really really like Iceland. Disappointed that BA are withdrawing.
It doesn't seem very long BA started flying there either!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:08 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

AA (very nicely) told me their hands were tied and I should call BA. Any ideas ow what number I should call from Portugal or europe? Anyone know what my legal rights are?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:34 pm
Bukhara

(((((((((((((

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Legal rights are, regrettably, minimal. You have been given sufficient notice to render the EU Directive irrelevant and BA would offer you a refund of the cancelled flights. I understand from your thread in the Oneworld forum you are on a DONE fare which is not really much good from a refund perspective.
Why not?
I'd be very tempted to file a cheap, quick and easy claim for the entire RTW fare at the local Small Claims court and see whether they're willing to risk a legal battle or "meet me in the middle".
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:52 pm
Bukhara

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're so unhappy with the situation, you are entitled to a refund of the whole ticket. I'm not sure there is any justification that a particular kind of fare should be treated more or less favourably than the next.
That's my point. But I know it's unlikely that BA (or any other major airline for that matter) would refund the whole fare on a partly-used ticket. Hence the suggestion for a legal claim.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:04 pm

Does rule 80 apply here?

Do AAs USA rules apply (I bought the tickets from them) or does UK law? Is there any common law that would conver me? It seems that I had a paid confirmed ticket for BA to do something and know they are chosing not to do that something which is end up costing me a lot more.

From another case I heard Germany seems to have such consumer protection laws.

What would be the procedure for BA to endorse a paper ticket to Iceland air?

What BA phone number in Europe should I call (as a OneWorld sapphire)?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 4:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I think in this case AA is operating as a travel agent, so rules specific to AA's operations as an airline (such as rule 80) are unlikely to be enforceable on another airline, for which AA is only acting as the ticket selling agent.

Access to elite phone numbers is not a benefit of oneworld, so I'd probably call the general reservations phone number.

Given you've got a very active thread on this in the oneworld forum, is it really necessary to doublecheck the information you get told on there in this forum? I understand you are upset about what has happened, but until you actually pluck up the courage and speak to BA or AA and hear what they have to say and discuss your options with them, it's really hard to know how much more we can help you, because most of it is speculation until you discuss with BA or AA.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
This is terrible news. I have a flight booked LGW-KEF for the end of May bank holiday and now I'm stuffed. In this case I did 2 things I very rarely do: 1. Book so far in advance, 2. Chose BA. Now I'm regretting both. I'm committed to going now so need a new flight. I paid £43 all in one way. Icelandair want £193 for the afternoon flight on the same day and Iceland Express (from somewhere called Stansted) want well in excess of £100. Neitrher have the early arrival of the BA flight (which is why I booked with them in the first place).

I'll have to hope I can get BA to book me on Icelandair (even if the schedule isn't perfect), otherwise I'll have to pay around £150 more or start farting around with extra hotels and flight by flying a day earlier or via some other European city.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
This is terrible news. I have a flight booked LGW-KEF for the end of May bank holiday and now I'm stuffed. In this case I did 2 things I very rarely do: 1. Book so far in advance, 2. Chose BA. Now I'm regretting both. I'm committed to going now so need a new flight. I paid £43 all in one way. Icelandair want £193 for the afternoon flight on the same day and Iceland Express (from somewhere called Stansted) want well in excess of £100. Neitrher have the early arrival of the BA flight (which is why I booked with them in the first place).
Icelandair also fly to MAN, so you could try that as well.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by graraps
Icelandair also fly to MAN, so you could try that as well.
Unfortunately they only fly 2x per week which are the wrong 2 days (plus they are at the £100 level anyway).
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:11 am
Bukhara

Lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.