New LCY Routes: AMS x 4, BCN, NCE + WAW

Old Nov 26, 07, 5:59 am
Original Poster

New LCY Routes: AMS x 4, BCN, NCE + WAW

British Airways is launching new shorthaul routes London City from March 30, 2008.

BA Cityflyer, the airline's wholly owned subsidiary which operates from London City airport, is to launch four new routes next summer to Amsterdam, Barcelona, Nice and Warsaw.

Robert Boyle, British Airways' commercial director, said: "BA Cityflyer's operation at London City airport continues to go from strength to strength and from next summer will operate to nine destinations in the UK and Europe."

Flights from London City to Milan Malpensa will be suspended.

London City - Amsterdam Four per day from May 2008
London City - Barcelona Daily from May 2008
London City - Nice Daily from March 30, 2008
London City - Warsaw Daily from May 2008
Goes some way to lessening the blow from the WAW->LGW switch and the NCE-LGW abolition I suppose.
Old Nov 26, 07, 6:03 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Well let's hope the BCN flight times nicely for IBZ connections.
Old Nov 26, 07, 7:05 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Excellent!
Old Nov 26, 07, 7:29 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Yay!!! ^ ^ ^

This is great news. I hope the extra competiton on the AMS route will make VLM and KLM make there prices a bit more competitive. When I first flew out of LCY it was free as the then Air UK was trying to drum up business. Now its an average of around 100+ for a flight that at LHR is 60ish and cheaper at the LCCs. But given the time saving factor, I'm happy to pay a slight premium of LHR and LGW.

Roll on more routes!! Now, if we could only get rid of the weekend curfew...
Old Nov 26, 07, 7:55 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy View Post
Well let's hope the BCN flight times nicely for IBZ connections.
And to Palma! Beats going to Gatwick for the non-stop.

I keep hoping for a non-stop from City to Palma one day. If there are 2 flight to NCE next summer why not a sat/sun service to Palma?
Old Nov 26, 07, 8:35 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
London City - Barcelona Daily from May 2008
London City - Nice Daily from March 30, 2008
Yippee, fabulous LCY instead of well, not so fabulous, LGW! ^ ^
Old Nov 26, 07, 8:53 am

Does anyone know what equipment will be used on this? I've never flown from LCY before so don't know if BA uses more than one equipment type there.
Old Nov 26, 07, 9:05 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I assume it'll be ARJs.

AMS is interesting - VG have already cause KL to buck up their ideas a bit, BA will have quite an impact. I imagine a lot of people will be quite happy to stop travelling on F50s...
Old Nov 26, 07, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut View Post
I assume it'll be ARJs.
Correct. RJ100s as before but with a couple of RJ85s joining the fleet imminently to better serve the longer routes.
Old Nov 26, 07, 9:56 am

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Finally!

Originally Posted by stut View Post
I assume it'll be ARJs.

AMS is interesting - VG have already cause KL to buck up their ideas a bit, BA will have quite an impact. I imagine a lot of people will be quite happy to stop travelling on F50s...
You bet. I'm delighted to hear this news as it'll free me from the thrall of the F50. Since VLM started their service I've mainly been using them (as they're better than KLM), but the lack of a FF program has always rankled. BA's flights can't start soon enough as far as I am concerned.
Old Nov 26, 07, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by spanishflea View Post
Correct. RJ100s as before but with a couple of RJ85s joining the fleet imminently to better serve the longer routes.
Sorry to drift OT, but how is CE on these aircraft? Similar to Boeing/Airbus shorthaul, or a bit more cramped feeling? I notice the seating plans on all are 3-2 in CE and 3-3 in ET.

I'm usually going to/from longhaul anyway, and am often split between going through same-day (in which case I'd obviously stick to LHR service) or spending a day or two in London, in which case this LCY option might be a really nice option...
Old Nov 26, 07, 10:23 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
More cramped than a 737/320 - the 6-across arrangement used by BA means narrower seats than the mainline aircraft. Window seats especially so if you're tall, as the curvature of the fuselage runs into your shoulders.

Note that it's 3+2, not 2+3 in CE, unlike mainline.

I quite like the 2+2 seats at the back of Y, where the plane narrows.

It's odd to see these aircraft doing LCY-AMS - back when I started doing my regular LON-AMS commute in 2001, the ARJs were in full swing on LGW-AMS, still from that grubby little pier in the South Terminal...
Old Nov 26, 07, 10:44 am

Programs: OW Emerald (BA), UA*G, Marriott Plat, IC RA, Various others
I'm a bit mystified as to why LCY-MXP is going...my recent flights had 11 rows of CE on board (with only two crew to staff them!) and it was pretty busy! I was so surprised at the number of C Class pax!

Really pleased they are building up LCY - it can be an wonderfully convenien airport. The aircraft are a bit tight...the 3 x 2 in CE isn't bad if you are over on the two-side, but Y can be pretty grim in a 3x3 config.

Hurrah for NCE, too! AF started a LCY-NCE service which is routinely packed! Hopefully BA can make this route work, too.
Old Nov 26, 07, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it just me or do quite a lot of the LCY routes shadow AF/KL LCY routes: NCE, ZRH, EDI, AMS, MAD (from which AF have now withdrawn, though)?
Old Nov 26, 07, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AndyFlyer View Post
I'm a bit mystified as to why LCY-MXP is going...my recent flights had 11 rows of CE on board (with only two crew to staff them!) and it was pretty busy! I was so surprised at the number of C Class pax!

Really pleased they are building up LCY - it can be an wonderfully convenien airport. The aircraft are a bit tight...the 3 x 2 in CE isn't bad if you are over on the two-side, but Y can be pretty grim in a 3x3 config.

Hurrah for NCE, too! AF started a LCY-NCE service which is routinely packed! Hopefully BA can make this route work, too.
I think because if you are travelling to Milan on business the convenience of leaving from LCY is outweighed by the inconvenience of arriving and departing from MXP. A service between LCY and LIn would have made much more sense.

Air One now serve LIN from LCY and this is a much better bet IMHO. The Air One service is very good and Y seating is in a much more comfortable 3-2 config.

I tend to suffer LHR so that I can arrive at LIN even though LCY is more convenient. The schedule LCY-MXP was also pretty poor for business travellers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: