BA Ghost Flights

Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:34 am
Original Poster

BA Ghost Flights

This became topical again on the news last night. Quite frankly it beggers belief, especially in the light of green issues and recent fuel surcharges

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma.../et-ba-113.xml

What a way to run a business!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:39 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
"Some of the aircraft are thought to be Boeing 747s, which when full carry between 500 and 600 passengers. "

Really?

"Earlier this year it emerged that BMI, which operates as a British Airways franchise "

Really?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
ITN carried a report on this as well last night.

If they want to keep the slot, they have to do it.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:50 am

I have dispatched so many airlines and I can promise you that ALL airlines including people such as ryanair to the big boys aka VS/BA run positioning flights. These are for various reasons....some operational (i.e crew shortages) and occur infrequently...many others epecially the charter bunch operate dozens of posn flights! I don't hear them getting shot for it!?
True at all LON bases we are short of crew because of the 900 rules and at LGW around 35% of the base is on restricted rosters (including myself)!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by James S
"Earlier this year it emerged that BMI, which operates as a British Airways franchise "

Really?
Actually BMI own BMED which up until a few days ago was operating as a BA franchise.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:08 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Actually BMI own BMED which up until a few days ago was operating as a BA franchise.
It's all in the tense...
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:18 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

Originally Posted by Jenbel
ITN carried a report on this as well last night.

If they want to keep the slot, they have to do it.
Quite. If those are the rules then all airlines will use their slots. Not
BA's fault; fix the underlying problem!
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:41 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SLF
Quite. If those are the rules then all airlines will use their slots. Not
BA's fault; fix the underlying problem!
Underlying problem? That BA obviously has too many slots?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:44 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Well this is just sensationalism gone mad.

Basically it must have been a slow news day for this to make the ITN News.

So BA has operated several transatlantic flights without crew and pax due to crew shortages and the angle ITN take is the supposed harm this causes to the environment. Pleeeaassseee! tell me what should BA have done instead.

Whilst having crew shortages and managing the rosters to make sure flights are staffed and therefore filled is a basic part of BA's business, and they are failing miserably, that is the only story here.

That the planes flew empty is regrettable but lets face it they would have flown anyway as they were scheduled flights so no more CO2 was expended than normal (probably less due to the light loads).

However, what about the passengers waiting in the USA for these flights to return to the UK? If BA had decided to 'protect' the environment by not making the outbound flights they would have stranded several 747's full of pax for the return flights and the crews already positioned to staff them. This would have in turn increased the problems with crew availability in LON.

So the story here should have been 'Poor Staff Management Causes BA To Make Tough Choices' but thats hardly going to make anyone spill their cocoa is it!

Signed

Bad Attitude
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:45 am

Programs: BA & A3 - Silver and fading
Dupe post
Old Nov 13, 2007, 4:11 am

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
As pax agent said, these sound like positioning flights.

If these really were ghost flights to keep slots open at LHR, then why didn't they just fly Heathrow to Bristol in a small aircraft late at night (as someone got rumbled for doing a couple of months ago)?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:34 am

Programs: SAA, BAEC, MK, EK Once upon a time VS until I was robbed of miles.
I'm sure BA carry freight on these ghost flights and if they don't fly these flights the schedules will be out of synch.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Catch22returns
I'm sure BA carry freight on these ghost flights and if they don't fly these flights the schedules will be out of synch.
Indeed.

The article is erroneous in many ways, not least the fact that the aircraft are surely far from empty.

Slots wouldn't really be the issue here, as the number of flights being cancelled are well below the (10%?) threshold.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:56 am

A work colleague's son flies long-haul for BA as a senior FO. He's forever relating stories to her of forced drafts (you try flying LHR-BLR-LHR then LHR-NRT-LHR back to back over 13 days after doing LHR-JFK-LHR the day before) and being at least 40 pilots short to cover long-haul. He flew a jumbo BOS-LHR empty of passengers (but full of cargo) quite recently.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:00 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Why not hire additional staff? The demand is obviously there these days to fill the currently available aircraft. What a waste of money, fuel and especially slots to fly out empty aircraft.

Why would the schedules be out of synch if BA puts passengers on them anyway?

If BA cannot properly utilise the slots, they should be provided to someone who can IMHO. LHR is too congested for these sorts of flights to occur. Go to Entebbe or Denver for that...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.