Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Advice on Driving Days

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:43 am
Original Poster

OT: Advice on Driving Days

I have been bought a driving day as a recent birthday present.

The question is, (and I'm sure many of you have been on one at some point), do I chose to drive a Ferarri for the day or go rally car racing?

The Ferarri days don't seem to actually spend a vast amount of time behind the wheel and they are usually built up. Drive Caterham 7, Lotus, Subaru then Ferarri.

The attraction of the rally car is you seem to spend more time actually driving. Plus you'd get the benefits of learning how to skid properly etc.

And before a bunch of you jump in with the usual "oh god a woman behind the wheel of the car" nonsense.
I have my Advanced driving licence, know the length and width of my car, can parallel park in one go and do not believe the purpose of the rear view mirror is to apply make up.

Your thoughts on a postcard please....
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:56 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Witch
I have been bought a driving day as a recent birthday present.

The question is, (and I'm sure many of you have been on one at some point), do I chose to drive a Ferarri for the day or go rally car racing?

The Ferarri days don't seem to actually spend a vast amount of time behind the wheel and they are usually built up. Drive Caterham 7, Lotus, Subaru then Ferarri.

The attraction of the rally car is you seem to spend more time actually driving. Plus you'd get the benefits of learning how to skid properly etc.

And before a bunch of you jump in with the usual "oh god a woman behind the wheel of the car" nonsense.
I have my Advanced driving licence, know the length and width of my car, can parallel park in one go and do not believe the purpose of the rear view mirror is to apply make up.

Your thoughts on a postcard please....
Sounds to me like you have already made up your mind. I'd probably go for the rallying too, you are more likely to pick up some skills that you could use in your every day driving.

But the Ferrari day might be more fun, trying out lots of diffferent machines on the same track would be interesting.

So, sensible or fun, your choice!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:08 am

Programs: BA, UA
I've found most driving days to be a bit of a..... well, disappointment. Also heard the same from mates who have done them. Mind you, we are a bit nuts about cars so tend to have a preference for track days! Either that or doing something like a day with Don Palmer or First Lotus.

But, if you can't do those, I'd probably stick with rallying. Problem with driving days with the performance cars is they never actually let you drive them full tilt. Such a waste.....
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:09 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
My advice Witch is to go rallying.

I was on the track a few years ago at Brands Hatch and started out learning on a BMW 318. You won't believe just how fast a saloon car was round corners. Yet the contrast when I climbed into a Formula Ford, basically a roller skate with an XR2i engine was mindblowing. So low to the ground, incredible thrust/acceleration and brakes that you only had to touch to stop. Admittedly it's not so nice inside, in fact there was bare metal and the gearshift, whilst precise, looked like something the str8 boys made in a school metal work class. Boy was it fun.

Trust me, even I have trouble with the weight of the clutch in the Murcielago - it's really knackering to drive. A ferrari won't be much different. Go rallying and enjoy.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:13 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Trust me, even I have trouble with the weight of the clutch in the Murcielago - it's really knackering to drive. A ferrari won't be much different. Go rallying and enjoy.
A track day Ferrari probably wouldn't have a clutch pedal. They all seem to favour paddle shift sequential boxes these days, though you could be lucky and get a proper stick.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice guys....looks like I might go with the rallying
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:29 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I did a Porsche 911 Turbo day at Thruxton which included a Ferrari. The program built up from starting with a Mazda RX8, Mercedes SLK, Ferrari (can't remember which one), 911T and then a Formula Ford.

Three of us did the day and all found the Ferrari very disappointing compared to the 911 Turbo which was a truly astonishing car to drive. Have never experienced any car since that has come close.

And like others, the Formula Ford was also amazing, so low to the ground it felt like it was going round corners on rails.

But, I would also go for the rally experience - as you might just be disappointed by the Ferrari.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
oh god a woman behind the wheel of the car
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:44 am
BOH

Originally Posted by PhilH
Yes indeed. Enjoy!!

http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4
Old Oct 19, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by BOH
.....Three of us did the day and all found the Ferrari very disappointing compared to the 911 Turbo which was a truly astonishing car to drive. Have never experienced any car since that has come close......
^ You are so right! The 911 is in a different class to most cars. Mind you, the 997 GT2, I gather, will be no slouch. Would love to get behind the wheel of one of those.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by PhilH
Reminds me of Harry Enfield... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4

"WOMEN. FOR PITY'S SAKE, DON'T DRIVE."
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:30 am
BOH

Originally Posted by koksy
Reminds me of Harry Enfield... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=39qdhbkTko4

"WOMEN. FOR PITY'S SAKE, DON'T DRIVE."
Ummm, see reply #9
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by BOH
Ummm, see reply #9
LOL sorry thats what happens when u click on reply and then a tradesman calls at the door before you get the chance to reply and you dont refresh the page when you come back to it sorry!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Done a few of these. It's hard to say what you should go for without knowing what your preference is.

When I did a supercar day, I can honestly say the most enjoyable car to drive was the Lotus Elise. It ate up everything else on the track, except the Ferraris. But it was a lot harder to let the instructors let you "lean" on the Ferrari than the Lotus. So the lesson I took from that was that supercars can be fun, but the most fun comes from something that most people wouldn't consider a supercar.

Rallying is a laugh, but it's a lot harder than it looks. The lines through corners are completely different to what you're used to from a tarmaced surface, and the whole timing thing of gears/spin the wheel/apply the handbrake/release the handbrake/boot it can leave you feeling that you were just beginning to get the idea of what you were supposed to be doing when it's time to go home.

My fave is single seaters (in fact, my fave is single seaters first thing in the morning when there's a greasy dew and some leaves on the track, but that's a different story). Relatively easy to drive, cornering lines are easy-ish to "get", and you're left to your own devices.

They're all fun, but the chances are it'll take a few goes before you work out which one you think is the most fun.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M, PC PlatAmb, Marriott, SPG
What Ferrari? If you've never tried one, then it might be worth the go, but as I've got plenty of time behind the wheel of different F-cars, I think I'd personally take the Rally option.

Now if it was an Enzo on the other hand... (sadly, nobody seems to want to lend me theirs for a spin around the neighbourhood).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.