Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suprised at lack of BA benefits for Pilots

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Suprised at lack of BA benefits for Pilots

I was talking to a mate who drives 777s, and I was expecting him to say that he could hitch a lift with BA anytime anywhere (or at least for a very nominal fee). But they only get 1 NCW ticket per year (or 1 F ticket if >10yrs service). Bit tight if you ask me.

Is that the same on all carriers?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
But they only get 1 NCW ticket per year
What, they don't even get a NGCW ticket? bit stingy...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman

Not on a 777!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:44 am

I don't think they are complaining. They get 1 "free" ticket.

Then a 90% discount on any other ticket they choose to purchase.

Hardly lacking in benefits if you ask me!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
ID90s are not quite as simple as "90% discount on any other ticket they choose".
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spanishflea
I don't think they are complaining. They get 1 "free" ticket.

Then a 90% discount on any other ticket they choose to purchase.

Hardly lacking in benefits if you ask me!
Thats what I am trying to find out. As my friend only mentioned the free ticket, I didnt know if that was the sum total of the benefits or whether they got others. i.e. I dont know whether he meant that they only get 1 free CW ticket (but lots of free WT tickets). He certainly wasnt complaining, it wasnt that sort of conversation; i just asked him if he gets to fly anywhere he wants in F. He said 1 free CW ticket. That was end of conversation. (then we talked about cars)
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
ID90s are not quite as simple as "90% discount on any other ticket they choose".
I remember well the not so good old days of using the old dear's ID90 standby concession. Life begins at 24!
Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:15 am

What he conveniently didn't mention was that because he knows so many operational staff etc, that he will stand a good chance of getting on flights standby when other staff don't. I've witnessed countless times where staff have been standing by for flights (all based on length of service etc etc) and an off duty pilot/or cabin crew has a word with the "right people" and manages to creep on. Very annoying for everyone else but it's life.

My sister has a friend who is a pilot and on a flight to Boston 2 years ago he'd had a word with his mate operating the flight. A World offer ticket of about Ł260 rtn to Boston in WT suddenly became a First Class seat - I kid you not.

I seem to remember a BA staff member saying it would all change with T5 because it will be automated etc. I guess if it truely works it will make it fairer for everyone.

Ultimately on ocassions, anything can become possible if you know the right people.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Witch
My sister has a friend who is a pilot and on a flight to Boston 2 years ago he'd had a word with his mate operating the flight. A World offer ticket of about Ł260 rtn to Boston in WT suddenly became a First Class seat - I kid you not.
I thought that the captain/pilot could do anything once taken off (ie upgrading people), hence a friend and her husband always get up'd from Y to F (after takeoff) everytime they fly due to her brother being a pilot. Thats on Malaysian Airlines mind. Additionally its not just when he'd flying the plane; when he's not, he just asks whoever is flying to upgrade them.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:48 am

and I was expecting him to say that he could hitch a lift with BA anytime anywhere (or at least for a very nominal fee).
I thought that the captain/pilot could do anything once taken off (ie upgrading people), hence a friend and her husband always get up'd from Y to F (after takeoff) everytime they fly due to her brother being a pilot.
Well in my mind buying a cheapie ticket in WT and then getting an upgrade up to F after take off is pretty much matches your first comment
Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
My uncle used to drive 744s for BA - before he retired, his kids and wife travelled in F most of the time dad was upstairs behind the stick. I was chatting to his wife at a wedding the other month, and she was moaning about the 'bad old days' of BA policy saying that no staff under-10s were allowed in F
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Witch
Well in my mind buying a cheapie ticket in WT and then getting an upgrade up to F after take off is pretty much matches your first comment
This is a completely different friend (i have 2 you see), and they're just plebs not air crew of any sort.

But I guess what you're saying is that although BA dont officially take them anywhere in premium classes , they probably can get that effect through contacts anyway.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
Huh! I have a friend who's shacked up with a 747 captain and they are off every few weeks somewhere, traveling FIRST. When I was much younger my father was with Pan Am and the rule was anywhere in the world for 10% of the full fare. Only now do I appreciate such a benefit.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
Huh! I have a friend who's shacked up with a 747 captain and they are off every few weeks somewhere, traveling FIRST. When I was much younger my father was with Pan Am and the rule was anywhere in the world for 10% of the full fare. Only now do I appreciate such a benefit.
Captains rather than first officers have a different priority. Thus for duty travel they would expect to travel in F, receive (IIRC) 2 free F trips per year for themselves and family. However given their connections they are likely to be able to get into F anyway even when their priority on a given ticket does not necessarily alow it.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
You should browse PPRuNe to see the staff travel benefits - one/two free firms per year,plus ID90s, and 20 hotline bookings.

No onload occurs out of priority (in my experience) - it upsets too many people and groundcrew do not permit it - and indeed little shuffling around cabins unless with crew consent - again, it upsets too many people, and diminishes the experience of those paying for the cabin to get unruly children in the wrong cabin. Only out-of-priority onloads occur to keep family groups together, or get staff to base to work if holiday plans have gone awry.

Though the captain can do what he wants (and cabin crew think they can) - diplomacy rules otherwise!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.