Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BRU turn-around time

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
BRU turn-around time

Because ex-BRU via LHR longhauls are so much cheaper, I'm having to face turning around in BRU back to LHR on a separate ticket (the TP points and miles help will get me to Silver as well^)

If I book on 0392, arr BRU 1105, and then 0393, dep BRU 1215, is that doable, what with reclaiming the bags, rechecking them in, security etc.? Not knowing the set-up at BRU I have no idea. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cap70
Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Bag delivery will be your problem. I haven't had checked luggage into BRU with BA yet, but with other airlines I sometimes wait 15-30 minutes (and usually my bag is one of the first due to *A priority tag).

I would not recommend it. Without checked luggage, not a problem at all.

SmilingBoy.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 4:45 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Very, very tight if you have to reclaim your bags and then go to departures and recheck them. Even if the flight is perfectly on time, an 1105 landing would mean you wouldn't expect your bags to be on the carousel before 1130 at the earliest. Then you'd have to run (with bags) from arrivals over to departures. I don't know what the minimum check in in BRU is, but I expect if you present yourself much after 1145 you'll be refused checkin.

But most people who do this don't take their bags to BRU, though. How long is your connection in LHR from the flight from BRU-LHR on to the long haul flight LHR-xxx? It would be better to ensure you have say 3 hours to be safe, and then
- OLCI and PYOPB for LHR-BRU, BRU-LHR, and LHR-xxx before you get to LHR
- leave your luggage at the left luggage place in LHR T4 arrivals
- fly to BRU
- on landing at BRU, follow the signs to connecting flights (you already have your BP for the BRU-LHR sector) back to departures
- fly to LHR
- when you arrive in LHR, no need to wait for luggage, just go landside (easier if you have IRIS although T4 should be relatively quiet at lunchtime), retrieve your bags from left luggage, and check them in at a bag drop desk (you already have your BP) for the LHR-xxx sector.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, GGL, Virgin Silver, Skywards Platinum, SPG VIP
Very tight with checked baggage. Baggage in BRU normally comes up on Belt 8 which is the furthest and often will have other flights still coming through before the BA baggage show up. If no checked baggage, it should be do-able.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
J lounge at T1, T4 and BRU?

Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies! ^

BAAZ - I'll try your suggestion of using left-luggage at T4 when I do the turn around. This would make taking 392 out to BRU and 393 back feasible (with time enough between arriving from HKG on CW in T1 at 0450 to get to one of the J lounges for a nice shower/massage and brekkie AND change terminals). Very cool tips!^:-:

New questions:

Which J lounge is better for breakfast/shower/massage between 0500 and 0830? T1 or T4? Dep or arrival lounge?

J lounge at BRU - basic CE stuff like TXL (I was there in July)?

Thanks again!

Cap70
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
The BRU Terraces is very nice - it's in the 'new' style (I imagine it's what the Galleries will be like in T5) not the older typical Terraces style. A nice selection of Belgian beers and some snack options. I think SLF posted some photos somewhere from when the lounge first opened in this style after its refurb. I was there a few months back and enjoyed it.

No massage at any lounge on shorthaul, nor any Arrivals lounge access (save for the one overnight DME flight - if the agents know the rules ). Personally, I prefer the T1 setup and lounges to T4 any time. Edit: Sorry, mis-read the longhaul HKG arrival bit...for breakfast, no question the Arrivals lounge is better than Departures. Likewise if you want a shower and spa treatment. I would probably use the T1 Arrivals lounge then head over to T4 on the HEX (free between terminals).
Old Oct 11, 2007, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
The BRU Terraces is very nice - it's in the 'new' style (I imagine it's what the Galleries will be like in T5) not the older typical Terraces style. A nice selection of Belgian beers and some snack options. I think SLF posted some photos somewhere from when the lounge first opened in this style after its refurb. I was there a few months back and enjoyed it.

No massage at any lounge on shorthaul, nor any Arrivals lounge access (save for the one overnight DME flight - if the agents know the rules ). Personally, I prefer the T1 setup and lounges to T4 any time. Edit: Sorry, mis-read the longhaul HKG arrival bit...for breakfast, no question the Arrivals lounge is better than Departures. Likewise if you want a shower and spa treatment. I would probably use the T1 Arrivals lounge then head over to T4 on the HEX (free between terminals).
Woohoo! ^:-: Thanks again GBOAC for the fab tips!

That settles it: I'll Arrive from HKG fresh like a daisy on CW at 0450 and off to a nice shower and massage and hot brekkie (I hope!?) in the arr Lounge at T1, then trundle over to T4 (with bags!!), leave luggage, dep 0855 on BA392 to BRU, arr 1105, and turn around at 1215 on 393 (with time for a beer and snacks in the Terrace lounge I think).

Does this sound feasible?

I should be well and truly sick of flying by then!

Cap70
Old Oct 12, 2007, 9:36 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
That does sound feasible, although take care to allow enough time to get over to T4 on the HEX and through security (although you'll have Fast Track it could take 20 minutes for security if it's not a good day).

I must admit you are unusually dedicated! Most people on ex-EUR tickets fly the first three sectors (i.e. BRU-LHR-HKG-LHR) and then either discard the fourth, or save it for a future date when it might be useful, e.g. to position for your next ex-BRU long haul flight. But as you say, it gets you the TPs...
Old Oct 12, 2007, 9:59 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I think SLF posted some photos somewhere from when the lounge first opened in this style after its refurb.
Click on the link in my signature below, and find the BRU entry
Old Aug 3, 2010, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Would it be feasible to arrive at BRU at 14:45 and leave on an ex-EU ticket on the same plane at 15:25? Hand luggage only.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Blue
If you have to go landside and then come back through security it could be very tight as on most of my recent BRU transits security has been very busy taking 10 to 20 minutes.
I seem to remember a post quite a long time ago which gave directions to the transit area allowing you to stay airside, I tried a quick search but could not find anything, maybe someone on the board has done this or can remember the thread.

DMF
------------------------------------
A scorpion in Sweden?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:09 am

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Wensleydale
Would it be feasible to arrive at BRU at 14:45 and leave on an ex-EU ticket on the same plane at 15:25? Hand luggage only.
Yes it is , but have OLCI and ready boarding cards. BA usually arrives on one of the first gates of the B international (non shenghen) terminal. From the arrival floor follow up the international connections sign at the right of passport control (not needed in your case) and return via security to the dept dloor of the B terminal. It should take abt 5 minutes.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Can anyone conform whether it is still easy to do a same aircraft turnaround at BRU without checked bags?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The system is still the same procedure - you arrive on one floor, you need to go down a corridor towards the front of the building, then up a level to departures. There is a security check but it generally moves quickly - there are quite a number of channels and it is well staffed. Five minutes would be a bit optimisitic I feel, but 10 minutes would be reasonable. The only catch I can think of is that if (unusually) your gate ends up further down the building - it may be a bit of a hike to security and then back again to the gate. But realistically you won't miss your flight if you don't need to worry about checked baggage, indeed you should manage a few minutes in the lounge, which as comments have suggested above, is better than Paris or Amsterdam.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Many thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.