Name change and split PNR question

Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, UA
Name change and split PNR question

Its been ages since I last posted something meaningful on here.

Chap I know asked me a question and given how infrequently I now fly, thought it best to check with the board. Advice appreciated.

Its not me. Honest. I'm not getting married till March.

1) I'm getting married at the end of October and booked our honeymoon via Opodo months and months ago - to Boston and New York.
2) My fiancee then noticed that her passport was running out less than 6 months after we leave, so needed to be replaced
3) As we'll then be married she got her new passport to be issued in her new name from the day we are married.
4) She called up to get her name changed on the tickets. She was told that as the ticket was non-transferable and non-refundable and therfore she couldn't fly on it!
5) In the end the solution was to buy a new ticket and they didn't charge the taxes as they're charged on the day. So we're now £380 out of pocket.
6) so currently we're out of pocket but at least on the same flight, but we were then told that as the tickets are two seperate bookings, we'd have to ring up 24 hours before the flight leaves to pre-book our seats, so that we can sit together! 24 hours before our flight is 3 hours after our ceremony starts.

So at the moment we're looking at leaving our wedding guests for 30 mins or so to go and find a pc at the venue to pre-book some seats, which no doubt we'll be charged for. And there is still the outside chance that we won't be able to sit together on the plane. Which is bad enough as it is, but on our honeymoon it's dire.

What I'd like is clarifiction on the policy of transferring tickets/changing names on tickets under these circumstances to see if we can claim the money back and also, someone with a sympathetic ear to see if they can sort out our flights for us so we can travel together and hassle free!
Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:22 pm

But you just need a passport that's valid until the date you leave the US 6 months additional validity is not needed...
Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:44 pm
Bukhara

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Old Oct 4, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
From AskBA - Answer No.1210:

"Question - Can I travel using my maiden name after I am married?"

"Answer -If you have recently changed your name or plan to in the very near future it will be necessary to have your passport amended if you plan to travel abroad.
When you get married there are so many things to organise that changing your name on your passport may get overlooked.
However due to the recent increases in security measures, you may no longer travel in your maiden name and have your passport in your married name, or travel in your married name and have your passport in your maiden name.
It is not sufficient to take your marriage certificate as a form of identification when you check-in.
We at British Airways need you to have your booking, ticket and your passport, all in the same name.
If you need to change your name on an existing ticket to match your married/maiden name in your passport, you will need to contact your local British Airways office.
Telephone numbers for your local British Airways office can be found if you click here.
Please note:Your ticket can be amended only upon receipt of the appropriate documentation (marriage certificate/ decree absolute) and a £25 reissue fee will be charged."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.