Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Paying Amex other than by Debit Card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:47 pm
GVA
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
OT: Paying Amex other than by Debit Card

It appears I am in a predicament.

Have lost my British debit card and not living in Britain anymore (currently). I can't remember the CVC so amex.co.uk doesn't accept the payment.

How can I pay american express? Would they send a letter for me to sign for a direct debit?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:52 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
You could always mail them a cheque...

And isn't it possible to sign up for a direct debit payment option, online on the Amex website?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:56 pm
GVA
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by AJLondon
You could always mail them a cheque...

And isn't it possible to sign up for a direct debit payment option, online on the Amex website?
For some reason it tells me it isn't available for the BA card
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:57 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by GVA
For some reason it tells me it isn't available for the BA card
That is strange.

Does the cheque option also not work for you?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:59 pm
SLF

Programs: Various
Can you login to the debit card account and do a BACS transfer from there? That's what I did 5 minutes ago to pay mine.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Sending them a cheque really is the obvious and traditional way of doing this. Only about ten years ago that is how pretty much all such things were paid.

I pay most of my bills by digital banking directly. It takes literally about five seconds after logging into your bank account: select the account (e.g. electricity, council tax, water, credit card) you want to pay from the drop down menu of those you've already typed in from last time, type in the amount, err that's it. Not sure if it works for Amex though as I still do that using the debit card method on the Amex site, for some reason.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Oct 2, 2007 at 4:07 pm Reason: clarification
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:28 pm

Paid my Amex via use of internet banking for many years.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:03 am
TMC

Programs: United 1K, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by jedikiah
Paid my Amex via use of internet banking for many years.
Likewise; the details which work for our 3 BA AMEX Premium Plus are:
Account Number: 00241148
Sort code: 30-00-00

With the AMEX card number in the reference field. If your money ends up in my account I take no responsibility for its safekeeping!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by TMC
Likewise; the details which work for our 3 BA AMEX Premium Plus are:
Account Number: 00241148
Sort code: 30-00-00

With the AMEX card number in the reference field. If your money ends up in my account I take no responsibility for its safekeeping!
Indeed - if you're with Barclays, they take care of all of this for you anyway - internet banking is the way ahead (apart from the fact that Barclays have crippled the convenience of it for me by insisting I use a poxy PINSentry reader )
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Teece
internet banking is the way ahead (apart from the fact that Barclays have crippled the convenience of it for me by insisting I use a poxy PINSentry reader )
Only yesterday I received a similar thing from RBS.

You're right. A big part of the convenience is that I can do my internet banking from work, from home, from a hotel in Sao Paulo, from my Wi-Fi enabled laptop at the top of Everest etc. [I presume Everest is connected by now.] I haven't yet worked out whether I will need this annoying device every time I do anything with my account (which would be a huge pain) or just for occasional rare transactions like adding a new payee (just about bearable nuisance level).
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Only yesterday I received a similar thing from RBS.

You're right. A big part of the convenience is that I can do my internet banking from work, from home, from a hotel in Sao Paulo, from my Wi-Fi enabled laptop at the top of Everest etc. [I presume Everest is connected by now.] I haven't yet worked out whether I will need this annoying device every time I do anything with my account (which would be a huge pain) or just for occasional rare transactions like adding a new payee (just about bearable nuisance level).
Well, Barclays insist I use it when I log on. Every time.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 2:59 am

Indeed - if you're with Barclays, they take care of all of this for you anyway - internet banking is the way ahead (apart from the fact that Barclays have crippled the convenience of it for me by insisting I use a poxy PINSentry reader )
What kind of account do you have with Barclays? All my accounts are with them and I operate online banking daily without the PINSentry reader. Hope that's not coming my way.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:04 am

Well, Barclays insist I use it when I log on. Every time.
Fortunately, I don't think the RBS one is that bad. I couldn't find much information about it on their website - probably because so far it is only in use for a selection of their customers. However, I recalled reading something about its use being restricted to certain transactions and I found another site which said it is only needed to
"Add a new Payee, Amend a Payee, Create New Standing Order, Change Security Number and Change Password".

That is just about bearable. If it was as bad as the Barclays one it might be just about enough to tip me over the edge and moving to a certain other bank with much better customer service which a colleague has been urging me to do for a while. Trouble is, changing current account is such a bother.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Witch
What kind of account do you have with Barclays? All my accounts are with them and I operate online banking daily without the PINSentry reader. Hope that's not coming my way.
I use their Premier Banking service - apparently we're among the first 'lucky' customers to get these. It's probably en-route to everyone eventually, though
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
These PINSentry readers are a real step backward as far as the online banking experience is concerned.

I've been using them for almost a year for my UBS accounts as they're standard issue here. They're too big to fit in a wallet so unless you always carry a bag around, or wear a coat (I travel light!), they're impractical to carry around.

I have one at home and one at work, but often forget to take one with me when back in the UK . . . maybe I need another one.

Oh, and about half of the people in my office have lost there's at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.