Search

OT: Sr. Guardans for Euro President!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:45 am
Original Poster

OT: Sr. Guardans for Euro President!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainf...adio4.shtml?fm

Go to Today programme (wed 5thNov) and listen from 02:23:27

I first heard this when I was half asleep this morning and thought I must have imagined it (literally). IMO this is the first poitician to represent precisely what the vast majority of us on FT feel about the 'theatre of security' being played out at present at our airports, in particular the nonsense over the liquid restrictions. Sr. Guardans is a breath of fresh air in the mind numbing bureaucracy and remoteness of Brussels! Is there a Spanish equivalent of a knighthood?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
And bless him, he said the liquids policy was "stupid". And then apologised.

He did make a fair point, though: this is not a case where the British can moan about "EU regulations", when we were the ones who pushed for it.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:34 am

Programs: SNBA Privilege Blue, FB Ivory, M&M basic
Originally Posted by Skimo
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainf...adio4.shtml?fm

Go to Today programme (wed 5thNov) and listen from 02:23:27

I first heard this when I was half asleep this morning and thought I must have imagined it (literally). IMO this is the first poitician to represent precisely what the vast majority of us on FT feel about the 'theatre of security' being played out at present at our airports, in particular the nonsense over the liquid restrictions. Sr. Guardans is a breath of fresh air in the mind numbing bureaucracy and remoteness of Brussels! Is there a Spanish equivalent of a knighthood?
Not all stupid policies in Europe come out of so called "mind numbing Brussels bureaucrats". Despite all the rhetorics, this is one of the clear examples where British populist ministers influenced their "scared" continental counterparts to introduce a European wide ban on liquids. The European Parliament was never properly consulted and as Mr Guardans' remarks clearly show, MEP's in general are not happy either with the limits imposed by bureaucratic ministers at the national levels.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by royalwing
Not all stupid policies in Europe come out of so called "mind numbing Brussels bureaucrats". Despite all the rhetorics, this is one of the clear examples where British populist ministers influenced their "scared" continental counterparts to introduce a European wide ban on liquids. The European Parliament was never properly consulted and as Mr Guardans' remarks clearly show, MEP's in general are not happy either with the limits imposed by bureaucratic ministers at the national levels.
Let us not forget the British tendency to take a reasonable directive from Brussels and gold-plate it to make it very, very stupid.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by iainbhx
Let us not forget the British tendency to take a reasonable directive from Brussels and gold-plate it to make it very, very stupid.
Indeed as I am very closely acquainted with a piece of Euro banking regulation which has been ridiculously goldplated in the UK but with a more pragmatic view adopted over in "old Europe". The UK is really really bad at implementing EU directives, we have to take everything hyper literally and enforce every area to the nth degree, rather than adopting the more continental shoulder shrugging approach. Does anyone seriously think that EU voters as a whole would stand for the wholehearted implementation of some of the Euro nonesense we have swallowed in the UK. Even the Germans (ever the sticklers for rules) take a fairly relaxed and pragmatic approach to the implementation of European directives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.