Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: MIA - Left Luggage; Decent Shopping Mall?

Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver

So, in an earlier post I mentioned we were thinking of a Key West trip to accompany our Miami visit. Given September weather, hurricanes & rain, we've decided instead to fly to Aruba for 5 days, hoping that it will be at least drier and less prone to the big winds.

However, it does mean either a 1h 15 minute change from AA-BA at MIA (which I would rather not risk) or a 10 hour lay over in MIA on the return.

So my question is this: Is there left luggage facilities at MIA? If so, we could do that and then head to a decent Mall for a bit of shopping on the way home.

I also seem to remember a hotel in MIA with a roof top pool/restaurant - does it still exist?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be very much appreciated, as ever.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Hi, yes is there is a baggage storage facility in Concourse E, level 2 (same level as check-in) open from 5 am to 11 pm.

The Hotel MIA is still there and also located on level 2 by Concourse E - there is a nice bar on the roof top.

As for shopping malls, my favourite in MIA is Aventura Mall about 30-40 minutes drive north. It has a few restaurants in the Mall also- this would be my choice.
Close to Aventure are the Bal Harbor shops which is a small Mall comprising entirely designer shopping.

Closer to the airport are the Dolphin Mall and the Miami International Mall. Another very good one, south of the airport, is Dadeland Mall which also has a couple of nice restaurants.

For more info on Miami Airport and its facilities this site is useful.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Bal harbour is great!^
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
It's a pity that BAA doesn't own MIA - then you wouldn't have to leave the airport to find a shopping mall.........
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:03 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
As for shopping malls, my favourite in MIA is Aventura Mall about 30-40 minutes drive north. It has a few restaurants in the Mall also- this would be my choice.
Close to Aventure are the Bal Harbor shops which is a small Mall comprising entirely designer shopping.

Closer to the airport are the Dolphin Mall and the Miami International Mall. Another very good one, south of the airport, is Dadeland Mall which also has a couple of nice restaurants.
Lots of good advice there. I'll just add that the ones near the airport aren't great. I used to to Dadeland about 10 years ago when in MIA but IMO it has gone downhill a bit.

Now I just head up to Aventura mall whenever I layover in MIA coming back from South America (also about 10hrs). It's a bit further away than some of the others but a very easy drive to get to if you rent a car. Just go straight up the I-95, turn onto Ives Dairy Road then right onto Biscayne Boulevard. Almost impossible to get lost going there.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I'll add my vote for Aventura Mall. Spent Ł600 in 3 hours at Abercrombie, J Crew and other shops last time I was there.

Dolphin mall wasn't bad for shoes I found, but like anything if it's not what you are after then it doesn't matter. I went to Dolphin mid week and it was a ghost town, went back on the weekend and it was mobbed!
Old Aug 21, 2007, 6:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
If you really want to do some serious shopping then try Sawgrass Mills which has over 350 shops. It's easiest to get to by car but there are buses as well. There's more details at https://www.ba.com/travel/florsawgrass/public/en_gb
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
It's a pity that BAA doesn't own MIA - then you wouldn't have to leave the airport to find a shopping mall.........
Good point. Also, I wouldn't need to worry about Left Luggage as I would have undoubtedly lost them by then.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:18 am
Original Poster

I got some other recommendations for the Falls - looked like a decent place to hang out for a few hours. Any thoughts on that? (We will want to have lunch as well as shop)
Old Aug 21, 2007, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Londonflyer
I got some other recommendations for the Falls - looked like a decent place to hang out for a few hours. Any thoughts on that? (We will want to have lunch as well as shop)
Oops, forgot The Falls. Yep that's another good one, south of the airport. More upmarket than the Dolphin or Miami International with nicer shops.

They have places to eat including PF Chang's - nice Chinese food, unlike most you get in the US.

Qute a way south of the airport, but probably not much further than Aventura - which would still be my first choice especially if you fancied visiting Bal Harbor too which is so close by.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HLT GLD, SPG GLD
You may not need to worry about left luggage, you should have your bags through checked to your final destination and just hand the bags in when you clear customs. Just make sure to carry-on anything you need during your 10 hour stopover.

This will give you a bit more time since you won't need to "re-check in" - esp. if you do OLCI.

I'd definitely recommend Aventura, Falls is quite nice - but nothing as nice as Aventura.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
If you really want to do some serious shopping then try Sawgrass Mills which has over 350 shops. It's easiest to get to by car but there are buses as well.
TBH I'm not a big fan of Sawgrass as there is literally too much there unless you've lots of time. Even if Aventura is a bit pricier I'd rather focus on the nice stuff it has, as it is more manageable for a day trip but still good value by British standards.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:38 pm

Programs: BA, DL, AA
The only reason not to check the bags through is to be able to fit any shopping on the checked lugage instead of having it on hand. I second Aventura Mall. The most convenient way is to rent a car, so why left the bags at the airport? You can take the bags with you in the car...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr MCO
The only reason not to check the bags through is to be able to fit any shopping on the checked lugage instead of having it on hand. I second Aventura Mall. The most convenient way is to rent a car, so why left the bags at the airport? You can take the bags with you in the car...
Good thinking. I had assumed we'd just cab it, but you are right.

We'll be on separate tix LHR/MIA/LHR, and MIA/AUA/MIA (for some reason known only to the booking engine logic it saves Ł200 per person - go figure). Although I've had some success managing to through check on two separate tickets in the past, however, we'll definitely need to repack with our purchases, so I think the car option is best.

Thanks all.

Now, what are our chances of sunshine in Aruba in September....?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.