Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OLCI asks how many bags you are checking in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, BMI Silver

Hi,

Just checked in for a domestic flight this evening, and for the first time, it asked me how many bags I was planning to check in. I'm sure it didn't ask me last week...

Also, it offers an option of "I'm not sure yet", which is what I selected and it worked fine, so what purpose does this new enhancement offer?

Cheers,

Chris.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I assume it's to allow you to pre-pay for excess (with the discount) if you know you're going to have it.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I assume it's to allow you to pre-pay for excess (with the discount) if you know you're going to have it.
Yes, it is to manage expectations away from the airport. You get less shouting and screaming (except at a computer screen) if you announce to the pax in the comfort of their own homes that they are going to have to pony up Ł96 for the additional bag that security won't allow on board as hand luggage.

Shrewd, but I suspect the great travelling public will try and get round it by either (a) not declaring; (b) mis-declaring; or (c) not using OLCI at all and rely upon good old charm at the airport.

So, an effort to reduce the monumental queues that this policy causes will come to nought.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 5:57 am

It is so that BA have a better estimate of how many bags will be going in the hold. In addition, probably the best enhancement to new OLCI is that you can now change your seat at any time up to printing your boarding pass.

A few other issues have been ironed out which will mean that OLCI will have a lower error rate.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xxxxx
In addition, probably the best enhancement to new OLCI is that you can now change your seat at any time up to printing your boarding pass.

A few other issues have been ironed out which will mean that OLCI will have a lower error rate.
^
Old Aug 2, 2007, 6:09 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by cjt105
Hi,

Just checked in for a domestic flight this evening, and for the first time, it asked me how many bags I was planning to check in. I'm sure it didn't ask me last week...

Also, it offers an option of "I'm not sure yet", which is what I selected and it worked fine, so what purpose does this new enhancement offer?

Cheers,

Chris.
Maybe its so they know how many extra staff to put on at bag-drop to avoid a smooth transfer through Heathrow??

Or even better, maybe they are going to do a Ryanair and charge Ł10 per bag in the hold?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, BMI Silver
In addition, probably the best enhancement to new OLCI is that you can now change your seat at any time up to printing your boarding pass.
Fantastic - I didn't notice that at all, but it's very good news!

I presume it also means that I can check in online, not print, and then change my seat at the SSCI machine?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
[email protected]

Dear Mr NotGoingBackToSteerage,

Thank you for using on-line check in and indicating that you are taking 3 bags with you on your Club World trip from MAN via LHR to XXX.

Based on our current baggage performance we would like to advise you of the following:
- there is a 1% chance all bags will arrive at your destination on the same aircraft as you
- there is a 25% chance that 2 of your 3 bags will arrive on the same aircraft
- there is a 50% chance that 1 bag will arrive on the same aircraft.
- there is a 24% chance no bags will arrive on the same aircraft

In the unfortunate even some of your bags are misplaced the current performance for bag tracing is:
- there is a 5% chance you will be reunited with 1 bag within 24 hours
- there is a 12.7% chance 1 bag will never leave the UK
- there is a 0.7% chance you will be reunited with both bags within 24 hours
- there is a 17% chance will you have at least one bag reunited to you before your flight home
- there is a 64.6% chance that you will never see any of your misplaced bags ever again.

Please bear the above in mind when considering the amount of luggage to take with you on this journey.

Thanks you for choosing to fly British Airways,
OLCI services.

P.S. This will all change when we move to Terminal 5 at LHR and we will never lose another bag.

Last edited by NotGoingBackToSteerage; Aug 2, 2007 at 8:13 am Reason: Schpelling
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:14 am

Programs: BA
:d :d :d :d

Why don't my smilies work properly then??!

Smilies to manual :
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Last edited by expatboy; Aug 2, 2007 at 7:52 am Reason: because the internet in the office is pants
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:42 am

It is so that BA have a better estimate of how many bags will be going in the hold.
I doubt it. On some flights BA might be very interested to know early the weight of the baggage that is going to be carried, but number of bags is a figure it never needs to know.

Last edited by The Saint; Aug 2, 2007 at 7:48 am
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
maybe OLCI should ask how much the passengers weigh and charge an excess? That means me weighing 72kg can carry more luggage than mr fatty who weighs 100kg. I will also likely consume less from raid the larder
Old Aug 2, 2007, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by The Saint
I doubt it. On some flights BA might be very interested to know early the weight of the baggage that is going to be carried, but number of bags is a figure it never needs to know.
The following taken from the official BA comms:

Online check-in will prompt passengers to declare the number of bags they wish to check-in. This will be recorded in DCS to anticipate the load and enable better load planning. This will not restrict passengers from changing their mind on the day. There is an option to say “Not sure” which will record “zero” bags in the DCS record.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expatboy
Why don't my smilies work properly then??!
Because you didn't write them properly Uppercase 'd' for the Big Grins...
Old Aug 2, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cjt105
Fantastic - I didn't notice that at all, but it's very good news!

I presume it also means that I can check in online, not print, and then change my seat at the SSCI machine?
AHEM!

[So much for trying to use an exsting thread]

You've always been able to change your seat at SSCI if you didn't PYOBP btw.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Originally Posted by Cargo Cult
You've always been able to change your seat at SSCI if you didn't PYOBP btw.
Really? Even after they introduced the "no seat changes after OLCI, not even at the check in desks" rule?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.