FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   How to actually purchase a BA RTW ticket? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/713404-how-actually-purchase-ba-rtw-ticket.html)

stimpy Jul 12, 2007 10:09 am

How to actually purchase a BA RTW ticket?

I need to book a C RTW from BA and since I don't trust travel agents, I'd prefer to call BA directly. That has proven to be a problem. I'm in Holland now, and though the BA website says the NL call center is open til 20:00, it actually closed at 18:00. I cannot call the UK number from outside the UK. I tried calling the US number, but they cannot accept any calls apparently and try to reroute me to something called "graves"? travel agency. :rolleyes:

I'm a Silver member, but I haven't got a card yet so don't know any of the Silver numbers. This RTW will put me to Gold, but that doesn't matter now. I was Gold for many years, but after dropping out I lost all the handy numbers I used to have. If anyone reading this knows me, and knows the Silver or Gold number for the UK or US, please send me PM!

stimpy Jul 12, 2007 10:11 am

Oh, I should add that this RTW ticket will be ex-IST. Does anyone know if I have to call the IST office? Or can the UK office book this for me?

ElkeNorEast Jul 12, 2007 10:23 am

Here in the US, I've had much better luck booking RTW tickets on OneWorld with American Airlines. They have a dedicated RTW desk, and were much easier to deal with than when I tried do to the same through BA.

Just a suggestion, though, don't know if that will work any better for you or not.

ReelChief Jul 12, 2007 11:05 am

I suggest moving this thread over to the ONEWORLD forum where there is a lot of expertise on starting RTWs from IST. But I'll make a few preliminary comments.

Note that BA RTW phone agents do not seem to be interested in setting up itineraries if they will be ticketed outside the country where they are located. In contrast, as mentioned, the AA US RTW desk is willing to set up an intinerary virtually anywhere (at least if the first intercontinental flight is on AA) and you can contact the AA office or GSA in the country where you will start to arrange payment.

Note also that while IST used to be a good starting point, it is now one of the most expensive places in Europe. Depending on the type of RTW ticket you are interested in (class of service, # of continents)- it is likely to be 20% to 50% more than more favourable origins.

stimpy Jul 12, 2007 11:25 am

Thanks for the advice both here and in PM's. I knew about the AA desk, but as I wanted to credit the points all to BA I thought it would be best to call them. And I don't want to get charged the US price! As for IST, that just happens to be where I am starting from. I wasn't looking to go anywhere else to reduce the price.

I called BA in the UK and they said I had to start my travel in the UK. It would cost me hundreds to get from IST to the UK so I'll keep trying some other way. I don't have a lot of faith in the BA office in Istanbul though.

I'll go over to the Oneworld board now.

ElkeNorEast Jul 12, 2007 12:26 pm

American have a codeshare with Turkish Airlines IST-JFK, so you could buy a ticket on AA and have the first flight be an AA flight.

Is the AA price that much more expensive than BA? I would think with the crap exchange rate and skipping the carbon offset duties in the UK would make it a bit cheaper, but I'm no expert :rolleyes:

spotwelder Jul 12, 2007 12:37 pm

IST prices are similar to standard western Europe at the moment for DONEx anyway. Switzerland and Gib are relatively cheap for DONEx.

I will dig around and see if I have the IST numbers somewhere. They will be shut now anyway.

The SITI/SOTO restrictions have gone (except Japan) so purchasing this ticket should be possible in most countries, with the exception of Japan. You would not get charged the exUS fare for it.

Check with the 1W mob as to the best carrier to have it issued on, there used to be a difference in the "extras" charged depending upon the ticket stock. I am rather out of the RTW game at the moment.

Gardyloo Jul 12, 2007 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast (Post 8046023)
American have a codeshare with Turkish Airlines IST-JFK, so you could buy a ticket on AA and have the first flight be an AA flight.

Is the AA price that much more expensive than BA? I would think with the crap exchange rate and skipping the carbon offset duties in the UK would make it a bit cheaper, but I'm no expert :rolleyes:

No non-OW metal allowed in Oneworld Explorer itineraries. The AA GSA in IST knows nothing and will do nothing, despite the fact that it's the same GSA (Tal Aviation) that AA uses in other countries where they're happy to issue RTW tickets (e.g. ARN.) The AA net price on Oneworld Explorer tix is often cheaper than BA's due to AA not charging the same fuel fines and nuisance fees that BA do. (The difference can be as much as 10% at the end of the day, despite the pre-tax price being the same for all issuers.)

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 8045673)
Thanks for the advice both here and in PM's. I knew about the AA desk, but as I wanted to credit the points all to BA I thought it would be best to call them. And I don't want to get charged the US price! As for IST, that just happens to be where I am starting from. I wasn't looking to go anywhere else to reduce the price.

I called BA in the UK and they said I had to start my travel in the UK. It would cost me hundreds to get from IST to the UK so I'll keep trying some other way. I don't have a lot of faith in the BA office in Istanbul though.

I'll go over to the Oneworld board now.

BA formerly had a very efficient CTO in IST where picking up RTW tickets was a pleasure. No more.

CX have a GSA in IST - maybe worth an email - http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...countryCode=TU

See you on the OW board...

stimpy Jul 12, 2007 12:56 pm

Thanks again for all the help. I decided to give the Amex Centurion staff a shot at booking it. They did a fine job over the phone, but we'll see what their rate desk comes back with. If they don't do well, I might call the Cathay office in IST (thanks for that).

FYI, this is in biz and I will be going to India, China, the US and back.

ElkeNorEast Jul 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo (Post 8046172)
No non-OW metal allowed in Oneworld Explorer itineraries.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I've only flown itins that had AA, Qantas, BA or Cathay, no weird codeshares.

Bukhara Jul 12, 2007 2:37 pm

Kiwi Flyer Jul 12, 2007 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast (Post 8045219)
Here in the US, I've had much better luck booking RTW tickets on OneWorld with American Airlines. They have a dedicated RTW desk, and were much easier to deal with than when I tried do to the same through BA.

Just a suggestion, though, don't know if that will work any better for you or not.

I don't suppose you have an email or phone number for AA's RTW desk? I've been grappling with AA at my origin and it is frustrating. Hours all wierd since calls divert to another country (in different time zone), which itself uses a call centre in a third time zone. I keep getting "we'll have a quote for you later today". Several days of this so far :(

As I understand it the RTW desk can set it up and then transfer to the local AA office for final stages of ticketing and payment.

This thread is really best moved to the One World forum. There is a lot of expertise there.

Kiwi Flyer Jul 12, 2007 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 8045144)
Oh, I should add that this RTW ticket will be ex-IST. Does anyone know if I have to call the IST office? Or can the UK office book this for me?

You don't want to book through UK office. Fare is the higher of price at origin and price at ticketing country.

Kiwi Flyer Jul 12, 2007 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by spotwelder (Post 8046097)
Check with the 1W mob as to the best carrier to have it issued on, there used to be a difference in the "extras" charged depending upon the ticket stock. I am rather out of the RTW game at the moment.

Yup. Considerably less fuel surcharges on AA than on BA, QF. Although AA now does charge some on transpac and transatlantic sectors so not as good as it used to be. I would expect IB would have less also, but the next bit rules them out for most.

Generally only the airline operating the first segment, or at least one longhaul segment, will be interested in ticketing (whereas *A RTW rules say any airline on the itinerary must ticket if requested), and you'll need a ticket office for that airline in the country of origin.

BA Loyal Jul 12, 2007 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 8045127)
How to actually purchase a BA RTW ticket?

How to actually write English?! :mad::mad::mad: