Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Rumour: NGCW Issues with the 777 and AVOD Problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumour: NGCW Issues with the 777 and AVOD Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Rumour: NGCW Issues with the 777 and AVOD Problems

Just heard from a friend, that apparently BA are having several problems with getting NGCW into the 777's. The first problem is that it won't actually fit as it's too wide. Also, the floors haven't been appropriately stressed, so they will each need to go back to Boeing to be reinforced.

The other problem relate to the new AVOD system on the 744's. BA ordered the system with two servers, rather than the recommnded three. This means there is apparently a hard limit of 60 people watching one film at a time.

Lastly, from the winter season, the BA 009/10 is scheduled to be downgraded from a 744 to a 772. This isn't reflected on the online timetable on BA.com yet.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Just heard from a friend, that apparently BA are having several problems with getting NGCW into the 777's. The first problem is that it won't actually fit as it's too wide.
Surely somebody would have measured this first ?

BAH
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:36 am

Programs: Meh!
BA ordered the system with two servers, rather than the recommnded three.
Ahh but think how much money that must have saved .
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:44 am

If this is true, then it demonstrates incompetence of perhaps mesmerising proportions.

The news about BA9/10 is hardly surprising. I would anticipate annoucement of a separate LHR-BKK service on 744. Then SIN-SYD and BKK-SYD will be ready for the chop, probably around this time next year.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:48 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
It would not surprise me if there ARE issues getting the NNCW to fit in a 777 as the fuselage chord is almost, but not quite, as wide as a 747..... which is why MOST operators only squeeze 9 across in Y (Yes, I know, BA did have hi- density 777's at Gatwick and Emirates operate with Ten across... but it's tight!!
Let's also not also forget the problems with the seating between W and Y on the THREE class 777 where engineering were given a seating plan which didn't work for the crew as they bashed pax (including me!!) with the trolley as they moved from W to the first row in Y... leading to the removal of the two aisle seats!!!
Theory is fine, but the working reality???
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Let me get this straight. They ordered 2 servers instead of 3 and now the system crashes almost every flight. And they didn't even bother measuring whether the new product fitted 43 out of their 100 long haul aircraft?

I actually can't believe this is true. I'm not casting doubt on Dave_C's contacts, which have proved accurate in the past, but I cannot bring myself to believe that management stupidity of such staggering proportions actually occurs in real life.

Oh, wait a minute, this is BA we're talking about....
Old Jul 11, 2007, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Just heard from a friend, that apparently BA are having several problems with getting NGCW into the 777's. The first problem is that it won't actually fit as it's too wide. Also, the floors haven't been appropriately stressed, so they will each need to go back to Boeing to be reinforced.
I thought the new seats were supposedly lighter than the old Club World flatbeds?
Hence why they feel a bit flimsy in places....

I'm sure there was a mention of this in a statement from BA or from a posting.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:25 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Well I guess the T5 lounges will be full of the new club seats that they can't fit into aircraft.....

What a joke!
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:00 am

I heard this a few weeks ago too but found it so hard to believe that I never posted it on here despite the source having a very in depth knowledge. Apparently the CAA won't licence the seats to be fitted in the 777 in their present design... that's what I was told anyway.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
If this is GalleyFM it sounds suspiciously like the story doing the rounds in 1996 about the F seats not fitting through the doors of the 777 when they tried to install them...
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PhilH
Let me get this straight. They ordered 2 servers instead of 3 and now the system crashes almost every flight.
Not necessarily related - if it's a gash system then having three servers instead of two may make things worse if anything. If the problems we've all seen are load-related then of course this could make the situation worse.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:43 am

The other problem relate to the new AVOD system on the 744's. BA ordered the system with two servers, rather than the recommnded three. This means there is apparently a hard limit of 60 people watching one film at a time.

Lastly, from the winter season, the BA 009/10 is scheduled to be downgraded from a 744 to a 772. This isn't reflected on the online timetable on BA.com yet.
I take it your friend is a crew member with an account on crewforum.co.uk (the successor to the Bassa forum)
Whilst I'm sure these rumours could be possible, the fact is the 'source' gleaned the info over a pint in a pub downroute. Isn't this where most chinese whispers start?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by The Saint
The news about BA9/10 is hardly surprising. I would anticipate annoucement of a separate LHR-BKK service on 744. Then SIN-SYD and BKK-SYD will be ready for the chop, probably around this time next year.
Ouch!
No more premium economy service Oz to Asia if that happens, until QF launches its own WHY+ cabin.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:53 am
Suspended

<snip>

Last edited by influential; Jul 11, 2007 at 8:08 am Reason: Not bringing much to the thread with these comments
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:05 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Also, the floors haven't been appropriately stressed, so they will each need to go back to Boeing to be reinforced.
QF did the same thing a few years back with their new A332's - beancounters ignored engineering advice and didn't order strengthened floors. Thus the skybeds couldn't be installed due to weight. The aircraft were then stuck on domestic routes for a few years (while the A333's with shorter range but strong floors were used on routes where they either had to tech-stop for fuel, or were payload limited) before they were handed over to JQ. This has severely affected QF capacity and they are just getting the correct A332's at the end of this year.

Short term cost-cutting often leads to long term expenses....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.