Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA check in Hong Kong Airport Express, Kowloon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA check in Hong Kong Airport Express, Kowloon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:06 am

Programs: CX, TG, SPG all back to base.
Originally Posted by simongr
One question not addressed was the hand luggage question. Can you check your hand luggage and then pick that up at the airport?

Also can you buy a ticket and not actually use it? I mean check in the luggage and then later jump in a cab rather than getting back to the station?
Can't say for certain regarding the first question but I'd assume that no, you can't use AEX to look after hand luggage temporarily.

To the second question, yes you can buy a ticket just to check-in, then make your own way to the airport.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 1:07 am

I am using the Kowloon Check In a lot. If i remember correctly only CX has First and Business Counters, all the other airlines share counters. The agents are contract people, not people from the airline itself.
Never long lines, usually nobody or one person in front of you.
Be prepared to know the rules, since some of the check in persons are not experienced. I had problems to check two pieces of luggage between HKG and Europe on an RTW. They insisted on 40 kg max, had to ask for a supervisor.
Also special situations like upgrade vouchers etc are not handled well there. But you can always check in there and later go to the airport counter.
No problems to get the red tags for the oversized/overweight carry on.

I don't think it is possible to check the carry on and get it back later.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 2:13 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
I checked in fine a couple of weeks ago at Hong Kong Central.

Like people said you can only check in on the DAY OF TRAVEL from 6am onwards. The agents are agency staff and don't work for the airline. Check the boards to see which desk you have to go to. Once issued with the BP you can exit the area and go about your business.

When you get to intown checkin you buy your Airport Express ticket and then use that to get through the barrier. It'd seem a bit stupid to not use the Airport Express as you're basically paying $100HKD just to check your bags oO. It's dead easy to get a taxi to the Airport Express as the taxi rank stops RIGHT OUTSIDE the entrance eg walk in and you've got less than 30 feet before you're at the train entrance. The trains run every 12 minutes and I'd rather trust a taxi + Airport Express than dealing with Hong Kong traffic from Hong Kong Island all the way out to the Airport o_o. Note once you've used the ticket it's non refundable, the "fare" gets deducted as you pass through the barrier so when you go to the Airport Express later the computer knows you've paid and lets you through.

-mrploddy
Old Jun 27, 2007, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't check hand baggage and then collect it later.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 9:33 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Another q to the HKG regulars : Left luggage for a few days

Is there a left luggage place at the AEX station?

I'll be in HKG twice during the same week and would like to leave a suitcase there between the two trips. Unfortunately I might not be staying at the same hotel on the two occasions (otherwise presumably they'd look after it for me in the meantime). Where's the best place to leave luggage for a few days, either at Central or TST?
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:24 pm

Suggest leaving the luggage at your first hotel and just swing by with the cab and pick it up at the second visit. Never had a problem doing this in the past.
There is a left luggage place at the airport itself: http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/t....htm#nav_2_3_2
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAAZ
Is there a left luggage place at the AEX station?

I'll be in HKG twice during the same week and would like to leave a suitcase there between the two trips. Unfortunately I might not be staying at the same hotel on the two occasions (otherwise presumably they'd look after it for me in the meantime). Where's the best place to leave luggage for a few days, either at Central or TST?
Nothing at any of the 3 stations, as noted above there is at the airport. I'd second the idea of using your first hotel, it really ought not be a problem.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by simongr
One question not addressed was the hand luggage question. Can you check your hand luggage and then pick that up at the airport?

Also can you buy a ticket and not actually use it? I mean check in the luggage and then later jump in a cab rather than getting back to the station?
No to the hand luggage, yes to not using the ticket
Old Jul 14, 2007, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
A little late to be asking this question perhaps but we are now in HKG and leaving tonight. We will be checking out of our hotel at 4pm and our flight does not leave until 11.15pm. I am assuming that the only way we will be able to check in our bags this early will be at the AEX, but I wondered if the AEX staff tag luggage with the appropriate priority labels for F PAX, since we don't want to wait any longer than the mandatory 45-60 mins upon our arrival at LHR.
Old Jul 14, 2007, 8:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QR Silver
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
A little late to be asking this question perhaps but we are now in HKG and leaving tonight. We will be checking out of our hotel at 4pm and our flight does not leave until 11.15pm. I am assuming that the only way we will be able to check in our bags this early will be at the AEX, but I wondered if the AEX staff tag luggage with the appropriate priority labels for F PAX, since we don't want to wait any longer than the mandatory 45-60 mins upon our arrival at LHR.
They certainly have the usual Club and First tags (and LHR transfer stuff), can't recall them having the orange/black priority tags though. The 11.15am flight is in at LHR so early and (tempting fate now) I've never had to wait long for the baggage to come out and it usually seems to arrive in approximately priority order.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stickyears
They certainly have the usual Club and First tags (and LHR transfer stuff), can't recall them having the orange/black priority tags though. The 11.15am flight is in at LHR so early and (tempting fate now) I've never had to wait long for the baggage to come out and it usually seems to arrive in approximately priority order.
I'd agree they have the tags, and that the 26 is often early. However my experience with priority order is less positive. Bags can be fast off that flight, assuming the handlers haven't thrown a sickie.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I'd agree they have the tags, and that the 26 is often early. However my experience with priority order is less positive. Bags can be fast off that flight, assuming the handlers haven't thrown a sickie.
Hmm well will wait and see what happens upon our return. Hopefully nothing like the tedium of T4 wait times to endure. The check in at Central was a breeze, the bags were appropriately tagged and 2 (clearly garlic infused tags) warded off the deparure security vampires.

I am now firmly settled in the Wing and off to grab a cabana with the new Mrs LoM shortly. We even have 1A and 1K, but given that we are travelling with BA, I am expecting the non working seat/light/IFE issue to rear it's head at some time in the not too distant future.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
with the new Mrs LoM shortly
Congratulations, Land-of-Miles ^ I hope the fizz situation for the wedding worked out well in the end too
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Congratulations, Land-of-Miles ^ I hope the fizz situation for the wedding worked out well in the end too
Many thanks

The Fizz situation worked out rather too well, we had quite a few extra bottles left over, so we made some guests very happy with their "take out" pressies

The bags took about 30 mins to come off this morning but then did seem to arrive in priority order. The strange things was that a small number of bags (apparently Y bags too) appeared on the belt some 15 mins + prior to any other activity. I am not sure why it took another 15 to 20 mins to start pushing off the remaining bags. There were a consdierable number of "orphan" bags cluttering up the T1 baggage reclaim too, this did not look like a very secure way of storing PAX luggage.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Bumpety bump..... I'm thinking of checking in at Kowloon Station, tomorrow morning. I have a case to check in, a standard sized cabin bag, and a camera bag. Will I need to take my hand baggage with me, for inspection and whatever tagging they do? Or should I just take along my big bag for checking in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.