AA versus BA transatlantic Y

Old Jun 25, 07, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
AA versus BA transatlantic Y

AA have some amazingly good Y fares over the summer period on the transatlatic routes (currently less than half of the BA fares). How does AA Y seating on the transatlantic 777s compare with the equivalent BA product. Its a fair while since I flew BA transatlantic Y, but I can still vividly remember the experience !

Whilst on this topic, can anyone compare the arrival experience into BOS on AA compared with BA ? I seem to remember the immigration experience in the BA terminal being exceptionally civilized !
Old Jun 25, 07, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99 View Post
AA have some amazingly good Y fares over the summer period on the transatlatic routes (currently less than half of the BA fares). How does AA Y seating on the transatlantic 777s compare with the equivalent BA product. Its a fair while since I flew BA Y but I can still vividly remember the experience !
I think seating would be pretty much similar.
AA used to have the advantage when they offered extra space in Y (34") but they no longer do.
The difference though will be in the service.
I really dislike the in flight service on AA, and I have not heard any good recent experiences about it either.

On the other hand, if the price is half of BA's, I would probably be tempted to go AA...
Old Jun 25, 07, 6:08 am

AA have some amazingly good Y fares over the summer period on the transatlatic routes (currently less than half of the BA fares). How does AA Y seating on the transatlantic 777s compare with the equivalent BA product. Its a fair while since I flew BA transatlantic Y, but I can still vividly remember the experience !

Whilst on this topic, can anyone compare the arrival experience into BOS on AA compared with BA ? I seem to remember the immigration experience in the BA terminal being exceptionally civilized !
Service wise, to be honest, I find the two remarkably similar. You can get good and bad crews on both, maybe the proliferation of bad crews is slightly higher on AA, but not by that much really. The only real difference is you have to pay for alcohol on AA.

Seating and IFE are virtually identical too, although AA has 2-5-2 on its 777s. Good if you get the 2, bad if you get the 5 (depending on how many of you are going).

AA arrive into the same terminal as BA in BOS, so assuming nothing else arrives at the same time as you, immigration should be relatively smooth.

Remember no BA miles on AA. If you are going further than BOS, and on anything other than an O, Q, N, or S fare, you might as well challenge for Platinum and get some AA elite status in case you want to do the same thing next year. If BOS is your final destination and you are on an N or S fare, then you can challenge for Gold and still get similar elite benefits for next time (exit row seats, domestic upgrades etc).
Old Jun 25, 07, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
The fare is a W web-fare which, AFAIK, is not eligible for any of the AA 10%, 15% discount codes, but if anyone else knows better please let me know !

If I am BA Gold will this count for anything in seating choices etc ? I assume that I can at least use F check-in and the lounge if nothing else.
Old Jun 25, 07, 6:16 am

The fare is a W web-fare which, AFAIK, is not eligible for any of the AA 10%, 15% discount codes, but if anyone else knows better please let me know !

If I am BA Gold will this count for anything in seating choices etc ? I assume that I can at least use F check-in and the lounge if nothing else.
The W fare won't give you a discount, but it will earn you 100% EQPs within AAdvantage. This means you will be able to at least get AA Gold off a BOS trip, and Platinum if you are going any further.

BA Gold shouldn't count for anything with regard to preferential seating choices I don't think, although you may have some luck if the exit rows aren't already assigned (they probably are though). First check in and the CX F lounge at T3 will be your main benefits.
Old Jun 25, 07, 6:27 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Hi, well off on another AA six sector week (I know, I usually do ten in a week, but I just cannot be bothered!)

I would say that the AA crew's service westbound depends on the flight schedule that they got eastbound. The day flight crews are usually fine. The night flight crews can be a bit tired. It also depends on the base that they come from. The RDU crews are generally fine, and the DFW lot rate reasonably. The ORD crews have always been OK, with some good. The JFK crews similar. As for BOS, well I hate Boston. I have never been subjected to so much racist abuse in any city in the world. So, I am afraid I avoid it. I guess it is just a bad set of experiences, so ask others!

If you are travelling on AA, then remember in Y you can get seat power, as opposed to needing to go to WTP on BA. The front elite rows have it, and then every third row, is the general rule. Cigarette lighter plugs for it.

If you like the BA in flight music, you will hate the AA radio. I like the BA voice channels....

I find the video entertainment on BA slightly better than AA, in the land of the psychiatrist, the breakdown is common!

As for the 2-5-2 verses 3-3-3, well it depends! I depend on privacy for my work when travelling, so getting an aisle with a spare seat is reasonably important to me. I usually do slightly better on AA, but that is load dependent. AA tends to have a slightly larger percentage of those who may be considered as "laterally challenged". Go for the window side not the centre, and at least you can lean in one way.

If you are a Coke vs Pepsi convict, then you get both on AA. If you drink a lot of Diet Coke, then you can empty the bar and end up on diet pepsi by the time you enter US airspace.

PterydAActyl AAirlines have a certain reputation for crew average age being higher than their IQ. London is a prime seniority route for them.

I would say that inbound to LHR, then T3 baggage is clearing faster than T4. I am IRIS so I do not notice the standard queues as much.

Food is similar, but westbound in on AA in J they have Ben and Jerry's icecream with the chocolate with the chocolate cake in it. On AA the last crew that I had, a lady offered me a roll. Looking at her age and considering her potential heart condition, I declined, but took some bread from the basket instead.

When on AA, do look at the in flight magazine and have a laugh at their geography. Certainly the BOS brigade have an influence in the region of (London)Derry.

In summary, enjoy, they are not bad at all, and take your own computer, power and a few CDs/iPod and relax.

Happy landings, and see you at any other AA hub apart from BOS shortly!

Spottie
Old Jun 25, 07, 6:43 am

I have got great summer fares for a few years now on AA, so if you are likely to do this again next year it would be worthwhile signing up for the gold challenge or plat challege if you plan more AA trips within 3 months as your gold status would run till February 2009, giving you access to 31 A,B,H and J next year.

Also if you are flexible with your dates, flights around the August bank holiday weekend are usually cheaper than the rest of August.

Last edited by westers; Jun 25, 07 at 6:51 am
Old Jun 25, 07, 8:23 am
Suspended

I travelled on AA in Y Class from LHR-JFK return (haven't done Y class long haul for a long time, so I was expecting the worse). The fare was jsut 245 incl tax so it is a real bargain and I get 100% miles on CX (compare to BA where I will only get 50% or less)

LHR-JFK, I got opup to J Class which was nice, but I definitely will NOT pay for it as it is clearly inferior to BA.

However for Y Class on the way back it was not bad. Catering was not good, but overall I find the seats and the service to be OK.

Also bags come out FAST as well in T3 LHR so there is an added advantage compare to BA in T1 and T4.
Old Jun 25, 07, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Your OneWorld status should give you the same seat choices as for AA elites, and some priority for any op ups.
Old Jun 25, 07, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nbevan View Post
Your OneWorld status should give you the same seat choices as for AA elites, and some priority for any op ups.
From expereince: yes to the op-ups, but no to the extra seat choice (unless I hit a string of unhelpful agents).

My summary would be: when AA are good they are as good as BA, when they are bad they can be even worse and are bad a little more often. I suppose it depends how much you need the money.
Old Jun 25, 07, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
From expereince: yes to the op-ups, but no to the extra seat choice (unless I hit a string of unhelpful agents).
AA status is now giving me seat choice on ba.com, so maybe aa.com has also got its act together by now?
Old Jun 25, 07, 9:13 am
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Airline Programs
AA seats

Not sure if you can access exit rows on AA as a BA Gold, but got off AA-ORD-LHR last week in seat 31H (same as 31B) and it was the BEST Y seat I have ever flown. With 5 feet of legroom, i was able to put my carry-on in front of me as a legrest. I am 6'4 so legroom is key.
Old Jun 25, 07, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post
However for Y Class on the way back it was not bad. Catering was not good, but overall I find the seats and the service to be OK.

Also bags come out FAST as well in T3 LHR so there is an added advantage compare to BA in T1 and T4.
Excellent summary of why AA is a viable option for my TATL hops. The sanity at landing can easily compensate for the superior quality of the BA departure lounge at, e.g., JFK.
Old Jun 25, 07, 9:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by Dave Marsh View Post
I travelled on AA in Y Class from LHR-JFK return and I get 100% miles on CX (compare to BA where I will only get 50% or less)
Way less - like 0% - no BA miles on AA TATL, remember.
Old Jun 25, 07, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by jjpb3 View Post
Excellent summary of why AA is a viable option for my TATL hops. The sanity at landing can easily compensate for the superior quality of the BA departure lounge at, e.g., JFK.
And with the Flagship Lounge opening in JFK sometime soon, even that reason will soon be gone.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: