Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA versus BA transatlantic Y

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Teece
Way less - like 0% - no BA miles on AA TATL, remember.
I am talking about CX MPO. not BAEC.

Unfortuantely the fare can't be upgraded but as least I got 1 way opup to J Class. It is also the first time I travelled Long Haul with AA as well.

I think once the IFL opens at JFK then there are more incentivies to take AA to JFK for cheap transcon flight and you can eat in the lounge and forget about the meals onboard.

I will recommend the CX lounge at LHR, unfortuantely I caught the 8amflight and the CX lounge was not open. the IFL at LHR is a joke.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by koje581
Not sure if you can access exit rows on AA as a BA Gold, but got off AA-ORD-LHR last week in seat 31H (same as 31B) and it was the BEST Y seat I have ever flown. With 5 feet of legroom, i was able to put my carry-on in front of me as a legrest. I am 6'4 so legroom is key.
I was told last year by AA in the UK that I could not preassign the exit seats in Economy as a BA Gold. AA status pax only. I cAAnceled the booking and went with a Better Airline instead (although miles and points might have had a more significant role to play in that decision)
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, BAEC
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
AA have some amazingly good Y fares over the summer period on the transatlatic routes (currently less than half of the BA fares).
I think i can make the deal slightly more tantalising....if you use the coupon code "DIRTYD" in the box, at the aa.com booking page, you can get 10% off most fares ex-UK, conditions are here -

Also, there is a new offer for anyone with a Mastercard here http://www.mastercard.com/uk/special.../offer_aa.html valid on all fare codes except "O", but there is a large range of blackout dates. 50% off almost all Y fare classes and 20% off J fares.

Enjoy, and may i strongly recommend a challenge if you do go down the aa route.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by a_fman
I think i can make the deal slightly more tantalising....if you use the coupon code "DIRTYD" in the box, at the aa.com booking page, you can get 10% off most fares ex-UK
Most fares except W ...
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, BAEC
Originally Posted by nbevan
Most fares except W ...
Well 50% off can be had by the mastercard method, and that includes W for 1st May to 31st August 2007.....
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Business Class offer: Offer valid for reservations made between 1st May 2007 - 31st August 2007. Cardholders must travel between 1st July 2007 - 31 August 2007. Economy Class offer: Offer valid for reservations made between 1st May 2007 - 31st August 2007. Cardholders must travel period 1st November 2007 - 14th December 2007 and 25th December 2007 - 20th March 2008.
http://www.mastercard.com/uk/special.../offer_aa.html

The cheapest economy fares are W class web fares, so unlikely to be available over the phone. Compare with W fares on aa.com before using the economy offer.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I think all the dicscounts are for telephone bookings. W seems to be for web bookings (according to the Fare Rules), but I have seen references to the ability to hold these online and then call up to pay. Not sure whether one could use the discount then.

NB - I have just tried DIRTYD, which has helpfully changed the fare per sector from £139 (struck through) to £ 172. I think I will give that saving a miss !! I should add in fairness that it does do the business with the discounted I business fare.

For anyone who is interested :-

Promotion Code Rules
Promotion Codes are only valid on AA.com for flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection.
Any reservation made using a Promotion Code requires instant purchase and cannot be placed on hold.
1. What is the discount amount?
Discount:: 10%
2. When can you fly?
You can fly between the following dates:
Travel Start Date: 8/1/2006
Travel End Date: 12/31/2007
3. When can you book travel?
You can book your travel between the following dates:
Booking Start Date: 8/1/2006
Booking End Date: 12/31/2007
4. Where can you fly?
5. Is login required to use your Promotion Code?
No
6. Is the Promotion Code reusable after the reservation is purchased?
Yes
7. What other rules apply?
Minimum Stay: N/A Maximum Stay: N/A
Saturday Night Stay Required: No Advanced Purchase: N/A
Minimum # of Passengers: 1 Maximum # of Passengers: 6
Fare Class: A,B,D,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,Q,S,V,Y
Minimum Base Fare: N/A

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Jun 25, 2007 at 10:42 am
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by spotwelder
...PterydAActyl AAirlines have a certain reputation for crew average age being higher than their IQ.
Can't you just call them old & ugly without calling them stupid?

Quite a few are FT members.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Can't you just call them old & ugly without calling them stupid?

Quite a few are FT members.
I don't think Mr. Welder was implying they are in any way stupid...just that their ages are higher than their (presumably average and/or high...) IQs. Think about it and you'll see he did what you asked already
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
..Think about it and you'll see he did what you asked already
I just did. You're not right. The I.Q. comment is quite clear. And quite dumb, IMHO.

As far as them being old, they are. Personally, I don't count time spent on a plane gawking at a FA as "female companionship." YMMV.

And even if one did-- and one wanted hot, young, smokin' FA's for same-- BA, on the whole, wouldn't even be in the top-15 of world airlines in this category.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:42 pm

I don't think Mr. Welder was implying they are in any way stupid...just that their ages are higher than their (presumably average and/or high...) IQs. Think about it and you'll see he did what you asked already
Heavens, look at this...

Saga and AA outline £6bn tie-up

Ooops. Sorry. Wrong AA.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:43 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

And even if one did-- and one wanted hot, young, smokin' FA's for same-- BA, on the whole, wouldn't even be in the top-15 of world airlines in this category.
Here we go... a fairly reasonable debate about to descend into a AA/BA .....ing session...
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I just did. You're not right.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I view it as poetic license to illustrate the age jibe. Let me explain: the crew may well have IQs of 140 (he doesn't say they have low IQs), thus 'making' his point. The point is not about low IQ, but rather high age.

The I.Q. comment is quite clear.
Well, it is to me, yes.

On that I think we can maybe agree to agree in the main
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:48 pm
Suspended

I just did. You're not right. The I.Q. comment is quite clear. And quite dumb.

As far as them being old, they are. Personally, I don't count time spent on a plane gawking at a FA as "female companionship." YMMV.

Who's talkin' female companionship???

Mark would rate highly in any beauty parade....

Stupid is as stupid does.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:58 pm
Suspended

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I view it as poetic license to illustrate the age jibe. Let me explain: the crew may well have IQs of 140 (he doesn't say they have low IQs), thus 'making' his point. The point is not about low IQ, but rather high age.

Well, it is to me, yes.

On that I think we can maybe agree to agree in the main
Fair enough on all counts, but do you really think:
"PterydAActyl AAirlines have a certain reputation for crew average age being higher than their IQ."
as a sentence in this context helps define the contrasts and is respectful to those FA's (AA FA's in particular) who enjoy reading these boards? Perhaps as opposed to something like "you will run into a much more senior group of FA's on AA's transatlantic flights by and large" or whatever.

Thereby leaving I.Q and dinosaurs out of it entirely?

Edit to add: For the most part, the best BA FA's I've had have been the more senior ones.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 25, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.