Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: Help needed in comparing "surcharges" across airlines for ex-uk flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Help needed in comparing "surcharges" across airlines for ex-uk flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
the annoying thing is I'd done half the BAA airports
Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Don't forget the airline trick of charging different amount of surcharges for paid vs award bookings

Ticket refund charges can vary by fare type.

OK, I will get the headline in for those overnight, but not the analysis. That is for another night of fun. I have stuff in the report about refunds and how the refund charges have been raised to deter a claim. Actually, the airline makes a lot more money if you do not fly because they keep all of the money that they would have handed to the airport and government.

Can you give me a quick list of those airlines that offend most in the paid verses award area? I will need "facts" later.

Cheers, it is going well so far!

Moomba, you get free tax and surcharges on all your tickets for life. Or some paracetamol
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The speed (or rather lack of) of refunding is also used as a deterrent. I know from personal experience that it can take many weeks to get money back. I've heard of others taking months to get their refund.

Sorry I don't have examples ex-UK, as I don't buy tickets ex-UK very often.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by spotwelder
OK, I will get the headline in for those overnight, but not the analysis. That is for another night of fun. I have stuff in the report about refunds and how the refund charges have been raised to deter a claim. Actually, the airline makes a lot more money if you do not fly because they keep all of the money that they would have handed to the airport and government...
I was told by the BA ticket desk in LHR T4 that even on the most restrictive tickets, you always get the taxes back if you cancel. Never had to try and might be specific to BA but would kind of make sense. If you didn't depart, you shouldn't pay the departure tax.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 5:56 pm
Bukhara

Last edited by Bukhara; Jul 26, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

When I cancelled a restricted BA Domestic ticket last weekend, I received an instant refund on the taxes/fees/surcharges which tallied up to £57.40. BA did take a cut of £35.00 from this figure as the cancel online function was not available.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 3:20 am

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
there is also Ryanair's priority boarding surcharge which they automatically add if you do not have any bags, and have to search quite dilligently to find the check box to take it off.

P
Old Jun 22, 2007, 4:52 am

Programs: F
In any case, it is really refreshing to see the depth and diligence with which gov.uk researches its policy decisions. Perhaps tonight we at FT could sort out something else for them - Global Warming, the Middle East or the NHS?
Old Jun 24, 2007, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Without opening a can of worms, is there virtue in comparing the surcharges from other EEA airports? I´m in Switzerland at the moment without access to my files, but I`m sure that my ex-AMS/ZRH flights to the US and South Africa in the past couple of years had far lower supplements than ex-UK (leaving aside fares for the moment).
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: F
I think gov.uk may already be aware of the reason for that ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.