Denied lounge access

Old Jun 21, 07, 5:12 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newcastle, UK
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Posts: 2,070
Denied lounge access

Flying CE BEG-LHR-EDI on Sunday on a redemption (I know, I know...)

I believed I was entitled to lounge access at LHR by virtue of having flown in on CE, but the lounge dragon said "No, that's only if you're connecting from a long-haul flight".

Was she right? I can't find the details on BA, but here on FT the advice is:

Passengers travelling inbound or outbound in First, Club World or Club Europe on a British Airways flight have access to the applicable British Airways departure lounge prior to their onward flight, regardless of class of travel - so long as travel is on a BA or oneworld flight.
If I've been shortchanged, I'll be mightily peeved. Lounge access for the wait at LHR was a significant consideration in booking CE.
mad_rich is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 5:16 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Posts: 6,070
Yes you were entitled to the lounge.

Bad Lounge Dragon. I'd be very, very peeved.
LHR Tim is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 5:25 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Edinburgh UK
Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Posts: 9,372
As Tim says you should have been allowed in. I always carry the relevant page from the Oneworld Website if travelling with the family just in case I run into this problem.
edi-traveller is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 5:26 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newcastle, UK
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Posts: 2,070
Thanks for the swift reply LHR Tim.

There isn't an emoticon for 'mightily peeved', but is a good start.

I will now go and whinge to BA on the phone. Is it unreasonable for me to say "Right, you bunch of oiks. You will give me a voucher which entitles me to lounge access at a time and airport of my choosing, or you will refund a significant number of miles. You will not argue."?
mad_rich is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 5:34 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Posts: 682
That seems to be a problem that is increasingly common. I had a very peeved call from my mother a few months ago who was travelling HKG-LHR-EDI in business, albeit on CX but booked through BA, who had been refused entry to the lounge at LHR. I think in that case the dragons eventually relented, but not without a fight, and only after it became clear that the EDI flight was delayed by two hours. But one shouldn't really need to argue.
Avenarius is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 5:39 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Posts: 6,070
I doubt you'll get a lounge voucher (I don't even think they do them). Best you'll get is a sorry-we-failed-to-meet-your-expectations-please-fly-us-again fob off. If you're lucky, maybe a few miles.
LHR Tim is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 5:45 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cardiff, UK
Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Posts: 5,278
Interesting I have learnt something today.

However if BA were wanting to reduce the number of people in the lounges - surely this is one perk which would get the chop?

It's very generous really, particularly if someone was travelling with no status as in effect it is almost like having 'arrivals lounge' access. However I do understand the person has to have an onwards flight, however LHR-EDI for example, can be had rather cheaply at around £60 return off peak.....

For those who are Silver/Gold I guess this perk is invisible anyway if connecting on in Economy/Domestic.
flyclub is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 5:45 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Edinburgh UK
Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Posts: 9,372
As I said I always carry the relevant page from the Oneworld website - BUT is there actually anything on the BA Website about this rule. I tried to look for it once but gave up........
edi-traveller is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 5:54 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Posts: 5,130
Originally Posted by flyclub View Post
However if BA were wanting to reduce the number of people in the lounges - surely this is one perk which would get the chop?
It's not simply up to BA to drop this - they're obliged to offer this under the terms of their OW membership, I think.
Teece is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 5:58 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cardiff, UK
Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Posts: 5,278
Originally Posted by Teece View Post
It's not simply up to BA to drop this - they're obliged to offer this under the terms of their OW membership, I think.
As edi-traveller says - I get the feeling it is something BA don't like to encourage which in some ways I guess is understandable.
flyclub is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 6:00 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Posts: 18,313
Since it was a CE redemption I'd have thought it'd book into UK Business on the LHR-EDI leg, thereby entitling lounge access.

Last edited by Fraser; Jun 21, 07 at 6:09 am
Fraser is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 6:01 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Newcastle, UK
Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Posts: 2,070
Hmm. Unless I'm misreading something, the Dragon was right:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/loung...lass-of-travel

Maybe I should hold off the lawsuit for a mo.

Is that an updated version of what you printed out, edi-traveller?
mad_rich is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 6:03 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Posts: 682
Originally Posted by flyclub View Post
It's very generous really, particularly if someone was travelling with no status as in effect it is almost like having 'arrivals lounge' access. However I do understand the person has to have an onwards flight, however LHR-EDI for example, can be had rather cheaply at around 60 return off peak.....

For those who are Silver/Gold I guess this perk is invisible anyway if connecting on in Economy/Domestic.
What an extraordinary view. The fact that you can buy a return LHR-EDI for 60 is neither here nor there. If BA provide through ticketing, then they should do it properly, and include the perks associated to the ticket class booked. It is not the fault of the traveller that BA's domestic service lacks a business cabin, into which they would have been booked for the domestic leg of the journey had it existed.
Avenarius is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 6:04 am
  #14  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back to my roots in Scotland!
Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Posts: 47,845
Originally Posted by flyclub View Post
Interesting I have learnt something today.

However if BA were wanting to reduce the number of people in the lounges - surely this is one perk which would get the chop?

It's very generous really, particularly if someone was travelling with no status as in effect it is almost like having 'arrivals lounge' access. However I do understand the person has to have an onwards flight, however LHR-EDI for example, can be had rather cheaply at around 60 return off peak.....

For those who are Silver/Gold I guess this perk is invisible anyway if connecting on in Economy/Domestic.
I don't think it's particularly generous, since domestics are one class. Unless you are saying only statused or full fare pax should get lounge access? If I spend 200 on an I class CE, I don't then expect to have to buy my EDI-LON connection for 300-400 to get lounge access

Not all of us have the option of driving to London to catch our flights
Jenbel is offline  
Old Jun 21, 07, 6:11 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 12,695
Originally Posted by Teece View Post
It's not simply up to BA to drop this - they're obliged to offer this under the terms of their OW membership, I think.
I think it's only the longhaul obligation that comes under OW...

Originally Posted by mad_rich View Post
Hmm. Unless I'm misreading something, the Dragon was right:

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/loung...lass-of-travel

Maybe I should hold off the lawsuit for a mo.
...because these are BA's own rules:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=42

which we're talking about here. This is over and above what OW says. Though, frankly, I agree with flyclub...I don't want my lounges over-crowded with those Regional Riff-Raff. If you can't have the decency to live in London...
G-BOAC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: