Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Guests in First

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Onetime bmi * Gold lifetime membership, BA Gold, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold
Guests in First

For complicated reasons BA are upgrading me from Business to First on a flight tomorrow. I have a colleague traveling in Economy. Does anyone know how the crew would respond to me inviting her up to First for a coffee? I'm not suggesting that she occupies any empty seats - except my 'guest' seat.

Thanks for any advice.

bmifly
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
You can invite someone from a different cabin for a drink but not a meal.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:39 am

Programs: BA
Your guest is more than welcome to sit in your buddy seat for drinks AFTER the meal service has been completed.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And it's customary to spit at them as they leave for the long trek back to the anus of the plane.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by bmifly
For complicated reasons BA are upgrading me from Business to First on a flight tomorrow. I have a colleague traveling in Economy. Does anyone know how the crew would respond to me inviting her up to First for a coffee? I'm not suggesting that she occupies any empty seats - except my 'guest' seat.

Thanks for any advice.

bmifly
Don't forget, if this is a non-OPUP upgrade, and you get to use the CCR, then you can bring him into that as a guest as well.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Teece
Don't forget, if this is a non-OPUP upgrade, and you get to use the CCR, then you can bring him into that as a guest as well.
Are you not allowed to use the CCR room if on an op-up? I thought full benefits applied that came with J or F tickets irrespective of a purchased ticket or an op-up ticket
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by latitude
Are you not allowed to use the CCR room if on an op-up? I thought full benefits applied that came with J or F tickets irrespective of a purchased ticket or an op-up ticket
No, if you get op-upped to J at check-in and attempt to access the lounge, you get sneered at by the dragons & firmly put in your place. They then set the starved dogs onto you before making you wear a T-shirt that says "I'm a freeloader"

.... or something like that.

Experience has shown me however that BD and UA do however allow you to use the lounge of the class you've been op-upped into. I suspect most airlines follow this tactic.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
Your guest is more than welcome to sit in your buddy seat for drinks AFTER the meal service has been completed.
On my CPT flight the other day the chap behind me had a guest from the time the seat belt sign was switched off, until the upper deck purser came down and informed the guest his dinner was ready.

He made a rather poor case of arguing for his guest to get upgraded, as ever the crew were having none of it!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by latitude
Ground benefits apply to the paid ticket - if you ask and get let in, it's luck not a right. I was denied lounge access on a Y->J OpUp as Bluescum way back when. In fact, quite often they will scrawl 'INVOL U/G' on your BP to make double sure. Though the last time I had that it was as a Silver from WT+ to J ex-LGW. Quite what they thought it would achieve given I was going to the Terraces and Terraces only regardless, I have no idea. Still, I don't care what they write on it as long as it's accompanied by a lower seat number
Old Jun 20, 2007, 8:59 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Still, I don't care what they write on it as long as it's accompanied by a lower seat number
Wouldn't you prefer something in the 60's?

And besides, wouldn't you rather sit by the window?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:03 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Experience has shown me however that BD and UA do however allow you to use the lounge of the class you've been op-upped into. I suspect most airlines follow this tactic.
I've been denied entry to the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR when op-upped from PE to Upper.

JS
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by spanishflea
On my CPT flight the other day the chap behind me had a guest from the time the seat belt sign was switched off, until the upper deck purser came down and informed the guest his dinner was ready.

He made a rather poor case of arguing for his guest to get upgraded, as ever the crew were having none of it!
On recent CPT LHR flight ,chap in front of me in F had 3 kids in J or WT+ or WT ( Dont know) . Every 15 mins or so they were in and out of the F cabin. I have nothing against kids in the F cabin but this really did annoy me.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by Teece
Wouldn't you prefer something in the 60's?

And besides, wouldn't you rather sit by the window?
Not at LGW as that would mean you had been bumped to another airline!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, BMI Diamond Club Silver, Flying Blue Platinum
On a recent flight to SIN on LH, I was in J travelling on the same flight as a family member who was in F. After my meal service, I decided go up to the upper-deck to visit my family member in F.

LH usualy has a metal barrier to prevent people entering the F cabin, but on this flight it wasn't in use. Normally I would have introduced myself to the cabin crew and asked if I could visit my family member, but as they were quite busy in the galley, I decided to just walk past.

After I had made my way half-way across the F-cabin, one of the LH matrons lunged towards me, claiming I looked like I was making a mad-dash for the cockpit. In the end she allowed me to continue, but claimed that they treated all guests to the F cabin as a security risk.

Last edited by AMSwing; Jun 20, 2007 at 3:07 pm
Old Jun 20, 2007, 9:41 am

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
If you're op-upd at JFK, they allow you to use the CCR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.